4 new videos

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tracers:

"...but why so bright and so many?"

Not so bright. You should check out some of the early build screenshots! They're mostly a concession to gameplay. Imagine trying to play this thing with no clue where the shots are coming from :rolleyes:

Besides, I've been reading posts about how Iraqis (yeh, i know. this isn't an Iraq game) seem to be in love with tracer ammo. Between tracers and the 'spray-&-pray' method of firing I guess it can become quite a light show sometimes.

panzemartin, yes, speed of sound is modelled and what you hear is the explosion from the impact. The explosion is big probably because it hit something vital on the Bradley.

unsobill, tracers are exaggerated because they serve an important game function to indicate incoming and outgoing fire.

Martin

Moon,

Only got to watch the first one before youtube bogged as everyone on the East coast fired up computers once home from work, but I noticed that the M1s sound very like our current batch of CM friends when on the move. What I don't hear is anything like the whine of that big gas turbine, nor do I believe the tracks would be that noisy, either. Surely, tracks have gotten quieter in the last half decade plus? Was therefore wondering whether the sound FX are placeholders for what I presume will be later, correct ones. Vehicle dynamics seem to be very well modeled. Love the way the one tank slams down the nose after suddenly stopping, then the nose comes back up.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 20, 2007, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Tracks are still pretty noisy, especially if they have any wear on them. Still M1's to me always sounded like a series of bumps with a background whine. Not quite as squeeky as the ones shown. Even the M60 only really squeeked when it was moving slowly. At speed it is like a rumble. Kind of hard to describe how they sound.

Actually you can hear the turbine whine at the end of the Thunder Run video. It's more noticeable when the Abrams is idle, and the YouTube compression plus the other combat sounds are making it less noticeable than it is in the game. Having said that, it may well be a placeholder, I know that Matt is still working on a number of sound FX.

Martin

Those look absolutely ****ing amazing!

Holy ****! This game looks amazing. I was doubtful, but BFC pulled it off again.

Having said that, it may well be a placeholder, I know that Matt is still working on a number of sound FX
How many live fires did you guys do? What did you do for the higher caliber artillery and aerial attacks?

Okay,

Now that I have calmed down...I remember that one of youse guys has played CMSF under bootcamp on XP and it ran okay...could you confirm or deny that? I may actually be tempted...tempted I say to buy the PC version and upgrade to OSX later......

Originally posted by Moon:

unsobill, tracers are exaggerated because they serve an important game function to indicate incoming and outgoing fire.

Martin

Martin, i believe that you wish best for us - but in second video with exchanging heavy fire i was completely confused who shooting who, only because there was so many tracers :eek:

i dont know maybe make every third round a tracer like in machinegun and take away visual bullet traces ? hmmm smile.gif ) its all comes to visaul realism - like i mentioned before gameplay shouldnt be sacrificed with n00bs that will cry that they cant see their bullets fly and who they are hitting... :( ( i guess we will have to sacrifice realism for gameplay here eh?

and why is it hard to see incoming fire ONLY BY SOUND AND MUZZLEFLASHES - you dont see lines if you got in ambush underfire - u dont see visual lines flying around - u hear cracking sounds which represent that bullets passing sound barrier "really" close to you and make that "CRACK" sound and you try to see the enemy muzzleflashes and it takes time and expereince to survive well placed ambush :eek: ...

now in teh first video when HE? round hitted sand and got all that dust in the air - so phreaking cool ;D and tank that got hit - do u guys implement burned holes in the tanks like in TOW ?

[ June 20, 2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: unsobill ]

yah i think you guys jumped way over your heads with this release - this type of game is WAAAAAAY ahead of its time - i mean 2023 smile.gif ... nothing on the market that i know could come close to Combat Mission: Shock Force and it will probably stay that way for at least 2 years - do you guys planning on releasing patches and support game AFTER release ?

Originally posted by unsobill:

Does a company commander run over to each and every squad under fire so he can survey the scene for muzzle flashes and thus locate the enemy? smile.gif What you are describing is correct in a first person shooter, but as you are commanding at a much higher level in CM you need more visual feedback in order to follow events on the battlefield, particually true in real time game play. The tracers need to be there to allow you to catch action out of the corner of your eye that you may otherwise miss.

Of course you can always mod your tracers to be completely invisible if you like, Im sure your opponents wont mind ;)