Death Animations?

Originally posted by Seanachai:

It's great to see the old classics like 'can the blood and entrails be turned up to 11' coming up again. Nothing makes me feel more light-hearted and reassured about mankind than the eventual demand for gorier representations of death in the Game.

Where'd he say any of that? Clue; he didn't.

LMAO here we go again...AHHHHHH!! FLYING LIMBS! GORE! EXPLODING HEADS! OHH THE HORROR!!! How dare you mention violence of any sort in a war game?!

What are ya a closet serial killer?!!

I know; war games aren't about war, they are about two high brow, self important shut ins pitting their high brow, self important, shut in wits against each other...blah, blah, blah. Heard it a million times and it's just as trite and hollow each and every time.

The bottom line is this hobby is depicting the sickest and most vile things man can do to his fellow man, regardless of how abstracted it is. The main focus is to maim, kill and destroy your enemy. Death and Destruction. Yet, that doesn't seem to bother you. So, enough with the snide outrage and hypocrisy anytime anyone mentions something that offends one of your guy's delicate natures. It gets old after 6 years. Yeah, we get it, you are the moral compass of mass, simulated death.

Maybe you super sensitive types might be better off playing checkers...same great strategy with nary a mention of FLYING LIMBS! GORE! EXPLODING HEADS! OHH THE HORROR!!! Hell, there's even some resurrection for you religious types!

Mord.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we expect some intestinal splatter (mixed with a good amount of blood) within a technical's interior if we open up on it with a 25mm bushmaster?? You know, something along the lines of Rambo IV's Ma Duece scene??

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/05/19/john-rambo-iv-feature-trailer/ :D (2:11)

But in all seriousness, having at least some decals wouldnt hurt. I know that in real life, there is no blood spray from small arms (:cough: 25mm), but after people hit the ground, they bleed. As for vehicles, this is now 1:1, so there has to be some kind of hit detetection, so yall should add something along the lines of TOW: bullet/shell holes, richochet dings, scorch marks, etc.

We dont really need dismemberment or anything (though CoH and RO benefit from it), but some indication of death, injuries, KO's and all around battle would make it that much more immersive.

ALSO for death animations, we're not asking for Hollywood style deaths, spinning 180 before falling to the ground, but we are at least looking for something more than CMx1 (standing then ground, no animation). Ragdoll usually potrays it pretty well (AA and RO), or Death animations that are realistic but have feeling (OFP and maybe/possibly GRAW 2).

Originally posted by Sgt.Rock of Easy Company:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mord:

How about the guy gets shot, the guy falls down?

Mord.

Sounds good, as long as he doesnt snap to the ground or look like a robot doing it. </font>

Originally posted by Mord:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt.Rock of Easy Company:

How about the guy gets shot, the guy falls down?

Mord.

Sounds good, as long as he doesnt snap to the ground or look like a robot doing it. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The big red circle under him and the red cross over him means that even you, Mordy-baby, will be able to tell he was hit without the Roger Corman red paint. ;)

That was my point Mike. I knew he was hit just by what I saw through the animation. And nobody asked for "Flying Limbs" LMAO...that's the whole entire, absurdity of these threads whenever anything like this comes up. Flanker asked a simple question and everyone turns it into a blood bath with signs of the apocalypse thrown in for added flavor.

Mord.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The big red circle under him and the red cross over him means that even you, Mordy-baby, will be able to tell he was hit without the Roger Corman red paint. ;)

That was my point Mike. I knew he was hit just by what I saw through the animation. And nobody asked for "Flying Limbs" LMAO...that's the whole entire, absurdity of these threads whenever anything like this comes up. Flanker asked a simple question and everyone turns it into a blood bath with signs of the apocalypse thrown in for added flavor.

Mord. </font>

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Over-reactions to over-reactions.

LOL maybe...but read the same crap for nearly seven years and you may not think so!

Mord.

P.S. And my over-reaction was vitamin enriched. Not like those lesser, cheaper brands.

It may be a sign that the U.S. Army has recently requested that the producers of '24' PLEASE turn down the level of patriotic torture & mayhem in that TV show! Their complaint, from what I can gather, was that new recruits who come in after spending their formative years watching '24' have had to be un-taught some rather nasty learned reactions gleaned from watching Jack Bauer in action.

Bloodying-up CMSF wouldn't have the effect of teaching the player that 'war is hell', it might instead have the opposite unwonted effect of teaching that 'hell is cool'(Columbine anyone?). Using the currently rendered CMSF to teach that war is difficult and unpredictable may be as good as we're going to get out of the game.

Mord.

Uh, no one did that, Mord. Well, except you. What everyone you were showering spittle over was saying was that it's a game, the unit markers are unit markers, and that the endless arguments for death animations is a bore. It's boring, Mord. Boring.

I guess we should thank you for hopping about, raving with your pants around your ankles, and shrieking hysterically like a little girl.

It injected a moment of drama into what is, otherwise, an eternally tedious discussion.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Mord.

Uh, no one did that, Mord. </font>

This getting a little crazy but I'm still not sure about my question (I don't want blood or gore in a CM game).

I'm only wondering if when a unit gets hit do they fall over with an animation or do they suddenly change into a different posture without animation like CMx1?

Ragdoll is nice, but I'm pretty sure it's out. But like someone said previously the OFP animations are also great. Blood and gore is no necessity in my book.

I'm going to go with Mord on this one , because he's funny :D .

Seanachai is also funny but in a more bating maner so...better luck next time Seanachai.

//Salkin

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Bloodying-up CMSF wouldn't have the effect of teaching the player that 'war is hell', it might instead have the opposite unwonted effect of teaching that 'hell is cool'(Columbine anyone?).

Then you must be a pervert, if your hobby is being interested in this hell.

This kind of pseudo morale from wargamers makes me laugh.

War ofcourse is not hell. For some people it is hell, for others it is not. Some people are frightened by spiders, other people like the adrenalin, when they are in highest danger and can proove themselfes or their comrades to withstand the danger.

I can't hear this always repeated liberal Hollywood dogma anymore. It's nothing else than a stupid lie.

All wargamers are attracted by the danger that lies in fighting. Some only virtually, others in reality.

There is nothing to be shamed for, to be a man and being attracted to fight.

I have the impression, some of you are already that feminist, that you have forgotten how a real man feels and how a real man acts. You are trapped in this pacifistic and liberal dictatorship and then you try to find excusions, why you are interested in wargames. Oh no, gore in a wargame! How evil! I'm only interested in weapons, because the mechanics and technical aspects are of interest for me. Not the power, they give to the man behind it - oh god, how bad! I'm a good wargamer, not a primitive one. And i'm a liar. The biggest liar. I've inhaled the lies as truth and now i believe in them myself.

And warfare? Evil, evil, evil! I'm a good wargamer. I'm only interested in the tactics on the papers. Not in the thrill in reality. Best would be, to see only abstract symbols.

Oh, i'm so gay and good.

"It's nothing else than a stupid lie."

Okay, I'm getting confused. You're saying that age-old epigram that 'War is hell' turns out to be nothing more than (lets' make sure I get your quote right) "liberal Hollywood dogma"? Wow... I didn't see that coming... kind'a difficult to argue that point. The concept that 'War is hell' is nothing but liberal Hollywood dogma! Whew. That's a relief! My cousin who's been dead for the past 32 years and his family who grieves his loss to this day will be relieved to learn war isn't actually hell afterall.

Originally posted by Flanker15:

This getting a little crazy but I'm still not sure about my question (I don't want blood or gore in a CM game).

I'm only wondering if when a unit gets hit do they fall over with an animation or do they suddenly change into a different posture without animation like CMx1?

Look what you started Flanker, this is all your fault.

;)

Originally posted by Sgt.Rock of Easy Company:

Ragdoll usually potrays it pretty well (AA and RO), or Death animations that are realistic but have feeling .

Couldn't agree more here mate.

I think the death effects are brill on RO.

Even more so when you get clobbered by arty and then spend the next 20 secs spinning around in the air on the blast waves.

Very funny.

And yes i do know its not what would happen in RL.

But you know what,i know its ONLY a game.

war isn't hell because blood spews out of a guy like Old Faithful when he's shot. It's a big psychological overwhelming, and blood and guts doesn't have as much to do with it as you think. Returning vets with PTSD flinch at everything because they can't get over being in a warzone and surrounded by bastards trying ta kill ya! They don't turn into vegetarians!