Are medics now in?

I can't remember which thread it was in but I distinctly remember Steve talking about this. He said the guy tending to the wounded man was currently using some inappropriate animation (like crewing a weapon or something) and that this would be replaced by proper "first aid" animation before the game's release.

Animation is one thing, but a proper simulation of medics in the game is another, which I'm pretty sure isn't going to happen. I would guess that this animation is just for show when the squad isn't under direct attack, and that the casualty will disappear after a short while to simulate medical evacuation.

EDIT: Sorry, I was writing my post as Moon was writing his above. Buddy Aid eh, sounds good! I was impressed that this even happens when under fire! The loss on firepower will be a realistic consequence.

I can see some very realistic tactics arising from this sort of situation, such as having lots of squads use suppressive fire to keep the enemy's heads down whilst one squad deals with a casualty.

[ March 07, 2007, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

Originally posted by Moon:

What you see is buddy aid. Squad members automatically move to give first aid to casualties closeby. Yes, even under fire. This can drain your squad's firepower, too, as you will have fewer shooters that way.

Martin

This is very cool. I figured it was first-aid, but to what extent I wasn't sure. Thanks for the response.

Do Syrians do this as well?

I could find very little information on their battlefield medical capacity if they even have any.

Most of their soldiers are under education farmers or those from urban centers but just as under educated.

First aid is of course something you can teach but I would not think it would be high of the Syrians priority list

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

Most of their soldiers are under education farmers or those from urban centers but just as under educated.

How classic, you're talking about uneducated people and you post a line like this. It's almost sig material. smile.gifsmile.gif

Originally posted by zmoney:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

How classic, you're talking about uneducated people and you post a line like this. It's almost sig material. smile.gifsmile.gif </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

B) English is the second language of the poster in question.

smile.gifsmile.gif

I know a lot of Virginians are from the back woods but I assumed they spoke English. I stand corrected. ;) </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

Because no foreigner moved to the US to live and work there.

Ever.

Not one.

Everybody living in the US today is a native English speaker.

Everybody.

You were saying?

All the best

Andreas

I was kidding hence the wink. The matter remains though that his post is still funny.

And yes I occasionally laugh at the handicap too.

P.S. that was a joke as well.

I would say that the U.S. military is light years ahead of Syria in prehospital care. I am a paramedic with the New York City Fire Dept. My future son in law is in the U.S. Army serving in Germany. I questioned him on what type of training he received in basic training for first aid. He explained they have a Combat Life Saver skill they must pass. That included more than basic first aid and included I.V. placement. This training is for the basic infantrymen. I know a medic can do more performing advanced trauma life support. I had the opportunity in the early 90s to act as a field trainer for members of the U.S. Special Forces. The military sent medics to ride along in ambulances and assist in trauma centers in the city emergency departments. At the time New York was not a happy place with crack being real big at the time. We would do multiple shootings during a single tour, Sometimes while rounds were being fired and prior to the arrival of the police.

The most important thing to remember is without effective evacuation and timely surgical intervention all the buddy aid in the world is worthless. I imagine with an invasion of Syria they would be a near total collapse of any medical infrastructure. I imagine most doctors and educated people would be heading out of dodge with their families. Similar to the situation that occurred in Iraq.

Chris DeMott

How classic, you're talking about uneducated people and you post a line like this. It's almost sig material. smile.gifsmile.gif </font>

If anyone is really interested there is a ton of info online if you google: "Combat Lifesaver"

Combat lifesaver US military page (looks official)

Combat Lifesaver Course prepares Soldiers for battlefield life saving

Yvonne Johnson

APG News

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. (Feb. 15, 2007) - It used to be that only qualified field unit medical personnel could go beyond the basic first aid measures to administer emergency life-saving measures on the battlefield. That is changing as a new course trains Soldiers, enlisted as well as officers, in life saving techniques that are making a difference for Soldiers fighting in the War on Terror.

The newly updated first-aid curriculum being taught to Army personnel worldwide has come to Aberdeen Proving Ground.

The Combat Lifesaver Course is administered jointly by the APG Fire and Emergency Services EMS Division and Kirk U.S. Army Health Clinic.

The course introduces Soldiers with very basic medical training to several critical elements of field care such as performing rapid medical assessments, establishing intravenous access, performing needle chest decompressions and the placement of naso-pharyngeal airways in battlefield patients.

The weeklong course trains non-medical personnel to administer life-saving first aid and is crucial knowledge given the combat situations ground troops are facing in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to Staff Sgt. Marcus Murray, KUSAHC training coordinator, who instructs portions of the Tactical Casualty Care course.

"This is not your typical medical class," Murray said. "We try to teach Soldiers what they will encounter in the war zone. The focus is on tactical training, evaluating, treating and evacuating casualties under fire," he said. "It's the best training I've been a part of."

He praised APG EMS personnel for "bringing an incredible amount of experience to the table."

"Their expertise was so valuable," he said. "It made the training that much better."

Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan often operate beyond the immediate reach of combat medics, said Col. Greg Jolissant, the Army's top medical training officer, adding that only one Army medic is commonly assigned per infantry platoon of 40 to 60 men.

"The nearest combat medic may be 30 minutes away, but if you have a partial amputation, you have about 10 minutes to stop the bleeding," Jolissant said. "You can't wait for the medic to show up."

199thinfantrybdemedic.gif

[ March 08, 2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

While researching something totally different, I came upon this:

Once battle is joined, Mahdi army elements demonstrated incredible commitment to recover their casualties and equipment. Once we inflicted casualties on the enemy, continuous coverage of the location where their soldiers were down proved key. Mahdi army soldiers would often try to assist their comrades and expose themselves to our fire when they tried to conduct casualty evacuation or recover weapons. This is specifically effective at night because the enemy often fought in squad-sized elements. If a crew only identified a few enemy troops, there were very likely more troops close by in cover or concealment.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-126074113.html

Overall a really good read.

Steve

For the US side there is also something called 'the goat farm'. It is an advanced medical trauma training center. The name comes from the fact that they use goats to simulate human casualties. And yes, they shoot and blow the goats up with everything from rifles and crew served mgs to grenades, and then the medics have to go out and perform first responder trauma treatment. And then the goats are put out of their misery. It's mostly attended by SpecOps medics, plus some regular medics with some level of seniority. Years ago I had a friend who was a Corpsman supporting the USMC (An E-4 in the Navy) and he got to go there.

civdiv

Originally posted by civdiv:

For the US side there is also something called 'the goat farm'. It is an advanced medical trauma training center. The name comes from the fact that they use goats to simulate human casualties. And yes, they shoot and blow the goats up with everything from rifles and crew served mgs to grenades, and then the medics have to go out and perform first responder trauma treatment. And then the goats are put out of their misery. It's mostly attended by SpecOps medics, plus some regular medics with some level of seniority. Years ago I had a friend who was a Corpsman supporting the USMC (An E-4 in the Navy) and he got to go there.

civdiv

Yikes

Im about as dead emotionaly as they come.

But that sounds rather cruel even if it is just a goat :(

In Germany they stick potential medical personal in various ERs and them get their share of car wrecks and other such traumas.

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zmoney: