System Reqs - Come Bitch Here!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

As a general gamer, I would suggest you spend money on a new AGP video card. just about anything is going to be better than a 5200...

As a long time hardware nerd, gamer and developer I sign that. Treat yourself and your rig with an ATI X1950 or sumfink (they are avaliable in AGP versions). I bought an X1950Pro (AGP 512Mb) to my nephew who has an old P4 3.0 with 1 GB memory just like you. He had an ATI 9600Pro in it before that was showing it's age badly.

With the X1950Pro he can play Oblivion at max settings with no problems and Company of Heroes on max runs like a charm. Test drive unlimited also runs flawless. He has no "real" games on it but they generally require less power smile.gif

/Mazex

Originally posted by Arrigo Velicogna:

Ok, so My little machine will run it or not? (scary question); Btw playing in WEgo will make slow downs more accpetables I think

My system is kinda similar, and it runs it fine. WeGo and Real Time don't make any concrete difference. So don't you worry.

I have a P4 2ghx, 1gb RAM and a GT6600 128mb I can run this on WEgo mode?

Arrigo, performance will likely depend on the map size you wish to play as well as the amount of units, etc. I can give you a pretty good example though as I tested CMSF on an AMD 2400 with 1gb of RAM and a 6600GT which is reasonably similar to the system you have.

In the test I played the ATGM Ambush map shown in the sample videos right through, and performance was actually very descent. I also quickly tested a couple of the urban maps and was similarly impressed with the results, the 6600gt seems to handle CMSF quite well from ym experiences. These were against the AI, so you can also assume a little better performance against a human opponent due to less real time processing being needed.

[ July 04, 2007, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Ok I am sold...

now I have ti find a way to preorder the beast without having mom notice it or to use my paypal account...(I am in shopping hiatus...)

You've got three weeks and $55 to earn to mow lawns and run errands.

Get to it! ;)

How much does video ram matter in the specs? My laptop is up to recommended specs on processor and memory, by has a crappy nVidia Geforce Go 5200 with a whopping 64Mb VRAM - and isn't upgradeable, so I can't get a new card; I'd have to buy a whole new machine. So is it a case of the processor coping with the number crunching of turn processing, but the crap video card giving me 1 frame per second animations, or what?

Sorry for disappoiting you, but I think the graphic card plays the most important part in graphical performance and its part is increasing even more these days.

It seems to me the most powerful processor or a huge amount of RAM doesn't make a real difference.

BTW, would 256 VRAM ATI X1600 Pro, AMD 64 2Ghz and 1 Gig of RAM technical spec run CMSF fine for big battles? ;)

[ July 05, 2007, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Darkmath ]

Originally posted by Darkmath:

Sorry for disappoiting you, but I think the graphic card plays the most important part in graphical performance and its part is increasing even more these days.

It seems to me the most powerful processor or a huge amount of RAM doesn't make a real difference.

Actually, overall performance will be limited by the worst performing of the critical parts: card, RAM, processor, etc. A cutting edge card in a PC with 512megs Ram and an ancient processor will have more trouble than a decent card in a beefier PC. Improving performance is about removing bottlenecks.

A small amount of RAM can be a huge bottleneck.

A 5200 was a lame duck when released, much slower than 4x00 cards.

The memory bandwidth on most 5200s (some have double width video RAM and are not quite as horrible) is so low they can't even visit 128 MB, much less more memory, on each frame. Do some basic math, folks.

These high memory graphics cards, jokes like a 6600 (no letters) with 256 MB are just for idiots who's brain cannot take a measure of quality that includes more than one single number.

Similar issues arise with all low-end cards in subsequent series. 7300LE ("lame edition") and low-end 8x00 perform much worse than the medium and better cards in the previous series.

If you are too lazy to visit a performance review site like the link above you get what you deserve. But hey, it's not all bad. All those people shelling out big bucks for cards that have 4 times more memory than can even be visited in one frame (due to memory bandwidth limits) are paying for the research for the next cards smile.gif

[ July 05, 2007, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

I need your wisdom guys.

I have a athlon xp 3000, geforce 6600 and 1gb memory.

So to improve the performance in playing shock force on a bigger map with more units which component needs replacing the most out of my system?