poll: favorite and suckiest unit

@jon_j: i like the timer too, it finally restricts endless thinking and gives an edge to intuitive players, like it should be.

and as you have broadened the topic--> fav tech: IT (i like the historical simulation of increase in mpps)

fav add-on feature: diplomacy (there should be some enhancements however for the allies, so that uk has more means of countering an agressive axis diplomat in early-game)

Originally posted by hellraiser:

Favourite unit: tank - in sc2 tanks are plain monsters.

Suckiest unit: engineers - think that they should build FIELD fortifications not forts/fortresses - they should be able to do it faster to suit tactical needs rather than strategical ones.

I played a game where it took 7 days per side, I managed to build a very nice fortifications around Moscow and Stalingrad. As Axis, it was nice to have fortifications in France. ... e d i t o r :D

Engineers are really bad. I've only found them remotely useful in the defense of Russia, never built them with any other nation. Building a one-sided fortification shouldn't take longer than a month, three months would be ok for a full fort.

I like paras and rockets very much though they are rather rare.

Engineers do take a long time to build, but we dont want the situation where every tile you attack is fortified, and it will happen if it is overly easy to build.

Field fortifications would be nice, they could be less effective but faster to build. I think hellraiser has it right, think about the historical Italian campaign, it did not take the Germans that long to build the multiple lines of defence in front of Rome and in Northern Italy, in SC2 after the Allies invade Sicily you would never have 1 fortification in place, let alone a system of them, before the allies get into central Italy. Very Ahistorical.

From my experience Night, 1 side per 7 days seemed just about right.

I only managed to Surround Moscow and have 3 tiles in front of Stalingrad build.

Remember that building it is all good, but you still need SIX turns to be fully entrenched.

As Axis I managed to Surround Paris and have a forticiation next to Brest and one next to Rome.

Best unit so far for me has to be the Focke-Wulf, Jet Tech2 minimum and as much LR as you can add in but that's all very expensive for the payoff. It's an uber powerful unit, you can deal out a good 3 with luck, 4 strength points damage. Though you better have quite a few bars of experience and high rating HQ attached. Only downfall is it's expensive, but the upside is that if you have it's rare an opponent will have it. You can cover distant fronts without sending much ground troops, you can do lots of good precision strikes. Sorta like a long distance divebomber, as for air interdiction roles, I haven't seen much air-to-air in SC being decisive. Losing a Fighter doesn't mean that much relative to Ground Units. Which is historical, partially. Bombers should be a bit cheaper and a bit more useful, Germany and Italy employed strong bombers not as big as Allied counterparts but widely used, that or allow fighters to hit Strategic or Tactical resources.. That would emphasize fighters a bit more.. Fighters should have an added tankbusting ability as well, equalizing things. All the Greats had good divebombers or tankbusters.

Infantry weapons and the good Ole Army dominates this game. Tanks do if you get lucky. Great defense value. Engineers are great to cause a stalemate, if you wanted to make Moscow, or Berlin impossible to capture I suppose they'd have value but usually the game is over bar before then. They need to build faster to be of much use, plus they're vulnerable in the field to enemy fire and being destroyed. What would do well for Engineers so people bother to buy them is add this in: If engineer within 5 Hexes of your own units, attacks across Rivers increased for Attacker. Bonuses travelling through Marsh and other difficult terrain...give your own units extra APs. Historical and make something of a sleepie unit. Rockets are similarly sleepie as the tech is a bit expensive and difficult to invest in with so many other competeing chits. I've never bought one. Perhaps a level5 rocket should equal a Dirty Bomb and completely Obliterate a city for a year or so? that would make that interesting to develop?

Really like Paratroopers - useful on specfici occasiions, not too powerful or plentiful.

Like engineers but too slow and expensive for what they do (except for Russia around MoscoW). Also like the HQ for minors like Canada, Spain and Finland plus the ability to buy units for them. Would like to buy research for them.

Don't like Rockets (too long to get going) & carriers a bit dissapointing.

Now this is going to be a little strange, but fully motorized Corps.

Great recon element at 5AP. Good infiltrators with a loosely held front, cutting supply and pinning other units from escape, then nailing the survivors with Tanks.

Cheap, effective, wish the Italians had more.

Haven't been able to get any to high experience with 3 IW and AT. Thinking they could be a good mobile reserve with HQ support.

Most lame...probably carriers, only good for naval operations and way to expensive to maintain.

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite Unit: Air Forces - such a versatile weapon on attack and defense. And they can move so quickly to where the action is.

Least Favorite: Cariers, just aren't the dominant naval unit they need to be to justify the cost and time to build them. As far as surface ships, I'd take a bunch of cruisers over a carier any day.

Favorite: AirFleet - I love the way they can just wear other units down, ie...readiness, morale, entrenchment. Their effectiveness, at high levels, is hard to beat, offense/defense. Nothing more pesky than enemy fighters pre-emptively raking over my assembly areas!

Worst: Carriers, no real spotting, weak defensively, expense, and production delay. Too much almost self inflicted damage vs. inflicted damage.

Ok, after much thought.

Suckiest Unit - German AF. Dang things are always stuck in the mud or snow just when I need them most.

Best Unit - British CA. Not when I'm playing them, mind you. But the little buggers seem to hunt down my subs incredibly quickly.