Done with SC2 already

I must admit I am quite disappointed to say this but I am done with SC2 even faster than I was done with SC1.

Issues:

1) Need too many house rules to make it playable

2) Luck of the draw on tech still too deciding a factor (yes, not as big an issue with Level 5 Fighters but still way too big an issue)

3) I thought Diplomacy was going to be an interesting enhancement but is really just a waste of MPPs.

4) I played SC1 mainly against 2 friends. Irish Guards played the SC2 demo and then told me not to buy the game, should have listened. My other buddy quit after 3 weeks.

5) Still got my entertainment dollar out of it but disappointed it did not even get me through the summer.

Yohan - signing off

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Blashy:

Have you tried ANY of the mods?

Sorry, but that's not a good answer : a game should not need mods to be playable. Mods exist to make certain scenario's, but the shipped scenarios should be playeble too.

And for me, the game isn't playable either until D-Day is fixed (which, I heard, will be done in the next patch).

I play it to try alternative things out, but basically I am done with it until D-Day is fixed.

It is a good answer because it makes the game more enjoyable.

Sheesh, while you wait for a patch you have an Axis and Allied AI mod that are great and you also have the one that I made which adresses MANY issues discussed between players and my mod does not require a house rule.

SC and SC2 are in my experience the ONLY community that is SOOOOO bent on ONLY playing the shipped campaigns as the official one, yet EVERY other game I've played the campaigns/maps used in leagues have always been those that have been tweaked for either play balance or more historical in historical type games or both.

So while you wait for a patch you are missing out on a great game, because mods ARE part of this game.

Guest Mike

communities with lots of mods are those that have stayed around a while - usually because the vanilla game is satisfying for quite a while, with good replay value, and/or grog-value.

There are hundreds of games that have fallen short of that mark, and only a few that have really made it.

SC2 is designed and published as a "Beer and pretzels" game - such games usually have little dedicated long term support.

So that's a part of the design philosophy IMO.

redface.gif Wow thats a surprise. After we played about 4 games I thought you enjoyed SC2 . Yes Sc2 has issues (one of the biggest is for me the missing windows mode or at least doing something: scroll etc while your opponent is moving) Most of the topics have been adressed in the forum already:

- dominance of tech (tech level to strong)

- tech cap (makes bad luck worse)

- Diplomacy

Shame to see you go

I haven't gotten to play as much of the game as I'd like sadly. I've been very busy the last 30 or 40 days, haven't had 1 single match since the the new versions, I do know this much.. it's the opponents not the game in this case that enrich it, houserules are no big deal, we had them in Axis & Allies and as cheezy as that was it was entertaining

"Another one bites the dust!" Queen

Yohan dude, why the hate! SC2 is a great game!

Rambo man, you crack me up! Jon Stewart would be a better president in my mind also way funnier. :D

Blashy good point about the mods, I've just tried yours last night, great job!

I have to say the game is so much improved with the latest patch. I'm looking forward to the next one where I'm hoping the AI naval issues are addressed!

Normal Dude, Axis and Allies the computer game was brutally awful! The board game however was a classic!

Mustang

I have to admit that I haven't even opened SC2 in about a month. Totally bored me out of my mind with its tedious problems and unrealistic representation of WWII.

Where are these mods you speak of? I have seen a few but nothing really great. I really only even come back to this forum because I like the people and convos.

Originally posted by Night:

I have to admit that I haven't even opened SC2 in about a month. Totally bored me out of my mind with its tedious problems and unrealistic representation of WWII.

Where are these mods you speak of? I have seen a few but nothing really great. I really only even come back to this forum because I like the people and convos.

www.cmmods.com has all of them.

My mod has Timkskorn's Allied AI scripts.

My mod is also made for Multiplayer.

Sheesh, while you wait for a patch you have an Axis and Allied AI mod that are great
If you are talking about the AXISAI mod by Paintman, it's may or may not be good. The only way to find out is to play a marathon session. SC2 for some reason can't find the directory it uses. It's loaded just like the other mods/campaines. SC2 shows the mod in the startup menu so you can start a game. Loading a saved game is not going to happen since SC2 can't find the directory when you try to load a saved game.

This for all you people who are ready to type a speedy reply about how to load/setup a mod.

READ THIS:

SC2 for some reason can't find the directory it uses. It's loaded just like the other mods/campaines. SC2 shows the mod in the startup menu so you can start a game. Loading a saved game is not going to happen since SC2 can't find the directory when you try to load a saved game.

As stated above, save the wear and tear on your keyboard.

READ THIS:

SC2 for some reason can't find the directory it uses. It's loaded just like the other mods/campaines. SC2 shows the mod in the startup menu so you can start a game. Loading a saved game is not going to happen since SC2 can't find the directory when you try to load a saved game.

It's an issue I've already resolved with the mod

makers. Basically changing the name in Windows (for

which I don't blame the mod makers considering how

effin' long it takes to save a game in the editor)

means the OLD name is still hidden in the file

somewhere, and the saved games look for this old

name when you reload. Quick workaround is to rename

it yourself in the editor.

I agree with Liam, it's the opponents that make a game, and in this case that means head-to-head. I for one am still having a blast with SC 2 and think I will for some time. I've had opponents pull all kinds of stuff on me and vice versa, and that's the spice of a game, what keeps it from growing stale.

Some have complained about diplomacy, but its those "Texas Leaguers" or "Seeing Eye Singles" that you remember, (those are American baseball terms btw). In the game with Blashy where I got a 40% Spanish boost in one turn, man, that has turned into a great game. And then the same thing happened but benefited Timskorn. I've had games where Russian readiness has moved up and down; had my convoys turned off; been Sea Lion'ed and vice-versa; Had my Axis opponent activate Sweden; had Murmansk captured under my nose by Blashy; had a great game with Rambo that ebbed and flowed all across the board including the US and until 1945 and probably could have gone the distance; had Sombra show me (unwittingly) how to conduct offensives.

Sorry that this poster is already bored, but IMO SC 2 will hold my interest for quite awhile. I think players need to play a multitude of other players, as each of us has different propensities that come through in how we implement our play, and this game has enough depth to allow many, many strategies.

Bob

I must say I to was very dissapointed. I waited three years and what did I get? A game with an AI like **** and if you say it on this forum all these idiots say "use the editor" "take a mod" but that wasn't why most of us bought the game.
GlPT,

Then, simply wait for patch #3... which, as Hubert has mentioned already, should be out in August sometime... maybe September if need be, and anyway -->

THEN! smile.gif

You will have quite accomplished AI schemes and other new! features and will NOT have to use one of the many MODS now out there.

Good as they are, and all deserve great credit for experimenting... so to offer all sorts of interesting "suggestions," they are NOT the default game.

THAT will, sooner than later

(... assuming you have some small modicum of patience, as is required for just about EVERY computer game made, these last several years, eh? ;) )

Be... THE Gold Standard. :cool:

SC2 ultimately fails because it can't make up its mind whether to be a historical wargame or a simple strategy game. It tries to be both, so it accomplishes neither.

It's not a bad game. I've played a fair amount, and enjoyed what I've played. But the more I play, the more I realize that SC2 is really just another Hearts of Iron. A gloss of faux realism over a basic strategy game that encourages all sorts of gamey tactics, while everyone congratulates themselves that they're simulating WWII.

I'm not into holier-than-thou wargaming. I can be as cheerfully ahistorical as the next guy. But I don't like the way SC2 does it. The game becomes boring after a while (yes, I have played many different opponents, most of them very skilled). Everything comes down to a handful of lucky or unlucky diplomatic and tech rolls, which means you're scrambling to find even more weird tactics. So France builds diplomatic chits for Russia instead of troops, or the Axis invade Tunisia to demoralize Russia.

Some of us like that sort of game. To each his own. But SC2 is long and complex enough that I wish it would either be more historical, or more wide open. Instead of pretending to simulate WWII, it could be a hypothetical wargame where you can totally ignore history. Master of Orion meets World War II.

Diced Tomato