Done with SC2 already

Originally posted by Topp1967:

Blue Oyster Bar..........didnt they do Dont Fear The Reaper?

They are also (well BOC are also) the only band in the world to have a ME 262 on an album cover in fact I think ( I know)they had a song about it as well.

Hey ho!

Er, Blue Oyster Cult.

Think there was a pretty good stripper bar in Tijuana called the Blue Rail, but my recollection is rather hazy.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow has this thread gone off the mark!

DT some very nice points, and I was making an extreme example with the 'stupid' rules. What I and I think others were trying to point out is that SC (one or two) is a simple war game based around WW2 (beer and chips please). Not a historical sim on WW2, in fact I dont know of anywhere that they push that feature. And I do understand your fear (?) that people are trying to drive it away from what it is ment to be post 'gold'.

The AI sucks, and it will suck in general. Its going to be damn near impossiable to make one 1/2 as good as the best players and at best close to the average players. This needs to improve and from HC's past work I'm sure he'll do his best. The fact that you can go back to the end of SC1 and see that people were pointing this out (see my last post on SC1 forums)only shows that this issue is not new. One of the most important issues on needing a better AI is the lack of HvH that you can get right now. Long on IRC and find me a time when you can easly(!) find someone to play. Perhaps you need to live in eroupe to do this as few of the US players seam to be online.

Editor, I didnt by the game to program and I'm not happy with those that point to this as the end all save all solution. I"m happy that those that wish to use it, and will try thier mods. But again, using this as a defence to people's constructive critisum is unwise. Make notes of thier complaints and ask for more detail if needed... like DD has in the past.

The 'I give up' factor in SC. This has to be one of the major reason's I left this forum / game. Both as I was disapointed in other peoples unwillingness to play it through and my own 'droping' of games that were unwinnable (but still playable). I'm already starting to see it again so perhaps that German league is where I'll end up, but if people want to play pvp then they better damn well play it till close to the end or they will soon run out of people interested in playing them.

"ahh well I put 5 chits in Russia with UK and not one hit.. lost egypt in spring 1940. I give up.. say want to play again?" Now wtf .... forget it I'm on a rampage!

Ok.. bottom like. This guy is leaving, he said why and I think thats in a hope someone will fix them. Good luck HC or perhaps these problems are not really problems for they game design / area you want SC2 to be considered in.

Well, if you're bored with SC2 already, I can suggest a fix. Go get HOI2 and join the HOI community. If you get deeply involved, you can get as much World War II detail as possible for an on-line gaming experience. You will find no greater alternative, so stop whining and go get the most detailed WW2 Sim ever created in history...

Problem solved, personally, I do not have 5 hours on Wens, every Wens, sometimes there are marathons, 5 hours a night for 3 or 4 nights. You must show up on time or game is kaputz and you must be fairly religious about the way you conduct yourself and those you associate with and become part of the community...OH and get real good at HOI... AND rely on luck and developing a reputation over 6 months to find a Valuable Dedicated Team of HOIers tongue.gif

That is the alternative, cool thing about SC is that you just need 1 reliable guy and I can name about 10 who'll play it out, and are fairly flexible, and PLUS just about any fool can learn this game in a week

P.S. you Think Terif is tough, I made Bulgaria the Greater Bulgarian Empire, conquoring Greece, Romania, Slovak and I was going to move in on Turkey... And remained independant of Germany and the Axis Powers!

I think Blashy is on to something with the end date + balance in favor of the Allies. If in most games the Axis player is typically put on the defense by early 43 or so, and must fight a defensive/limited offensive battle from then on, but can still achieve victory if they hold certain cities by the historical end date...it may help with people quitting early.

The problem right now I think is the un-historical goals for the Axis in order to win. By the time you got all those cities the game would be long over with for the Allied player, and he'd have quit. Conversely, once an Axis player sees that he's at a point of no return, he'll quit as there is no way he'll achieve the current goals.

People enjoy playing the Axis for the "what if" aspect, but there's no incentive to play the "what if" aspect of the downfall. For fun? Continuing to play a side when defeat is certain is akin to the days when we played Monopoly, and it was clear who the winner was, but he'd want you to keep playing anyway "for fun".

Now, if SC2 was set up like Blashy is doing, both the Axis and Allied player would have more incentive to continue playing. If a minor victory didn't always require capitals, but perhaps borders or land, more games would go to the end. If I knew, as an Axis player, that I could still achieve a minor victory I'd have fun playing defensive as I'd try to do everything I could until the end date.

If the victory conditions are changed to favor games that last longer than 1942, I'd say that's a good thing.

Not only a good thing, but much more historical.

Very fun is also a BIG plus. The fact that I'm enjoying my AI games to the end is a good indication of this.

Timskorn, how about me and you do a PBEM with my mod?

I wanted the whole world to see what you really are.
Actually Rambo, you are showing the whole world what you are. A person so unsure of himself that he has to pretend he is tough. Your claims show ignorance and fear, not strength and skill.

Still, be as "fearsome" as you like. Most people know, your rants are entertainment, not to be taken seriously.

@Yogi --- Son, my record speaks for me, volumes about me. Both SC & SC2. They are just facts. Another one of your major problems is your sorry political correctness. But as with me, I'll mop you up on the battlefield. Son, this is simple: You play me, I beat you, I smack you. Punk, there's nothing tricky going on here. This isn't about emotion, that's why you are a skirt, you'd prefer to drag your feminine feelings into it. Sport, there's no real point discussing this, because you've already rejected the High Noon challenge. So go hug your A.I.

and the whole congregation said, Amen.

-Captain Jon. J. Rambo, United States

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

This isn't about emotion, that's why you are a skirt

You heard the man. Move along skirt. </font>

Originally posted by Timskorn:

People enjoy playing the Axis for the "what if" aspect, but there's no incentive to play the "what if" aspect of the downfall. For fun? Continuing to play a side when defeat is certain is akin to the days when we played Monopoly, and it was clear who the winner was, but he'd want you to keep playing anyway "for fun".

Well, I'll take exception to this. I've played many games of CM out when it was clear I didn't have a chance. And some of them were even fun. It's always up to your opponent whether he'll take a surrender. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

Besides, as the old saying goes, you're not a great general if you've never conducted a retreat. ;)

Originally posted by Yogi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

This isn't about emotion, that's why you are a skirt

You heard the man. Move along skirt. </font>

So, if you are stopping play of SC2, what are you playing instead? I won't try to convince someone to like a game if they don't, just let me in on what you are playing.

Prsonally, I like SC2 more than SC1, and it has to do with the editor 100%. The AI does have some big flaws, but some of the AI written so far has been fun. Blahsy's mod has been a hoot to play, the one mod of the world out to India (THANK YOU!) is great, really reminds me of playing World in Flames, and the Eastern Front scenario at corps level will soon occupy some of my time.

So, if you don't like SC2, I would like to know what else you are playing so I can check those out too. If they are that much better, I want to know.

Scook......

ps. I will be revving up to some pvp out there. Just trying to polish myself so I dont look like a complete fool when I play a....LEGEND!

@Lars --- How dare you. You creep in from the General Forum & an attempt a coup on the word 'Legend'. You make me puke. See, this is Center Court SC-land, you don't have all your little Nazi Uniform wearing buddies here. (For those not aware, the General Forum is full of these German uniform collectors, heavy bunta area. GF is a bunch of anti-American pigs.)

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

@Lars --- How dare you. You creep in from the General Forum & an attempt a coup on the word 'Legend'. You make me puke. See, this is Center Court SC-land, you don't have all your little Nazi Uniform wearing buddies here. (For those not aware, the General Forum is full of these German uniform collectors, heavy bunta area. GF is a bunch of anti-American pigs.)

What is going on here? GF Buntas trying to invade us again? Lars is a traitor and spy you say. Well someone call Comrade Trapp. Need some newbie whipin here...

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Topp1967:

Blue Oyster Bar..........didnt they do Dont Fear The Reaper?

They are also (well BOC are also) the only band in the world to have a ME 262 on an album cover in fact I think ( I know)they had a song about it as well.

Hey ho!

Er, Blue Oyster Cult.

Think there was a pretty good stripper bar in Tijuana called the Blue Rail, but my recollection is rather hazy. </font>

Lars,... seemingly? Far afield, in a stream of altered consciousness?:

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

Yep,

As that Tumbling Tumbleweed Hay-Seed

Hollywood sort-of-a Cowboy

Had said to The Dude,

big%20lebowski.jpg

Jeff Bridges how he put it on, once upon a time, eh? LOL!

Only, he'd said - "B'ar," and not - Bear ;)

I like that surreal dream sequence,

Trismegistus only knows what

Was mixed in that drink,

And I couldn't guess... well,

Actually,

I could, but that was LONG ago

In another, much more interesting Dementian. :cool:

But anyhow... here's the song that accompanied that there Coen Bros rendition of... almost like it really was, man:

(Yeah, yeah, oh-yeah, what condition my condition was in)

I woke up this mornin' with the sundown shinin' in

I found my mind in a brown paper bag within

I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high

I tore my mind on a jagged sky

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in

I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in

I got up so tight I couldn't unwind

I saw so much I broke my mind

Someone painted "April Fool" in big black letters on a "Dead End" sign

I had my foot on the gas as I left the road and blew out my mind

Eight miles outta Memphis and I got no spare

Eight miles straight up downtown somewhere

I said I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

Yeah

yeah

oh-yeah

-- Music & Lyrics by Kenny Rogers

**[... exceptionally odd to me that KRog would come up with somethin' digger 60's such as that little ditty... Lou Reed, or Ry Cooder, maybe, I can see it]

I'ma shoot

I'ma smoke

I'ma walk up on yo ass and bust yo ass in the eye

I'ma roll this blunt up

I'ma I'ma

I'ma ride 2 da end (end)

Ball till I fall (fall)

I'm on the hunt for tha paper

Gimme s'more

I gotta get mine (hey)

All about the currency (yea