CMBB would not be released till?

BTS can't win either way...

They can put out the product real soon, but people will complain how 'so and so feature doesn't work' or 'I thought that this feature would be included'... yada yada yada...

People complained about the missing M16 AAA half-track in CMBO, so why not wait a little longer to get almost every vehicle listed in the modelling contest ? BTS has stated that they would like to put out a product that is a bit more 'finished' than CMBO was - after all they took a bit of heat about the appearance of the textures when CMBO was reviewed by magazines and individuals. Adding vehicles later isn't a possibility since the file format would have to be redone, making all previous scenario/ops incompatible. Again, more screaming and ranting from individuals if this was done. Making the vehicles available without 'skins' has already been shot down as an idea since it conflicts with the idea of a 'finished product' (you can bet that reviewers will comment on the fact that some vehicles don't have skins, etc.).

Believe me, BTS isn't just sitting on their asses waiting for bitmaps to come in. There is still plenty of work being done to finish CMBB. Every employee is locked in a dark room hunched over their computers and reference materials, toiling away at CMBB (although Madmatt takes some time off to play IL-2 and act as a club bouncer).

So even if all the bitmaps were available to KwazyDog, there is still plenty of other things going on. Besides, wouldn't you rather have every vehicle listed in the Modelling Contest or just half of them ?

[ February 26, 2002, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

With BTS we've got te best and worst of both worlds.

On the positive side it isn't one of those Japanese game factories with the bottom line the only goal and a 'lowest-common-denominator' target audiance.

On the negative side it isn't one of those Japanese game factories with all the staff necessary to code and decorate a product in dizzying time. Imagine if BTS had a staff of 50 instead of 5... and had to answer to a money hungry board of directors every quarter?

I think I'll wait patiently for CMBB.

This I'd say we can't stress enough; good things come to those who wait. Waiting IS the hardest part fellas but it's also very sweet to roll all those potential battles around in the old imagination waiting for that day that we finally get to play them.

Everyday that the game is pushed back is another day that all those great features and models can be tweaked and properly handled.

Seriously, more companies should release products when they are satisfied that what they have is done, and not because their time table says they should.

So anybody bummed about CMBB taking longer than they expected just look at the silver lining; Every single day that we wait is another day that the crew spends researching, and coding and texturing and fiddling with all the great things that we'll get to experience. And when the game finally ships and it's in our hands and the glories of the Russian Front are before us on the computer screen, all that waiting and nail biting anticipation will be forgotten and one day down the line replaced by nostalgia.

Our guys have made a couple of wise choices concerning this piece of software:

1) That it will have a ton of wonderful content;

and 2) That it will run very, very well.

That takes time, and it is darn difficult to predict when it will be finished.

Good companies also follow these policies:

1) They are as forthright as possible about the current stage of the process.

2) They give ballpark figures about the completion of the software only when they are absolutely sure.

3) They throw bones on a well-timed and regular basis.

They've been doing fine with those things so far, and if they continue to do so, they'll avoid alienating anyone in the process of getting this one out the door.

Looking forward to it none the less if it's delayed a month or two. My guess is sometime in early May or so.

Mark

Soldiers,

Mark me down as one of the waiters. I recently purchased Fly! 2, and found, like many who have purchased it, that it is really a poor half finished game. I felt ripped off. I find that the best game is the one worth waiting for! I can wait as long as it takes for CMBB- and can gaurantee a massive rush to buy, once its finished. Three possible problems come to mind:

1) Will there be pre ordering? I assume that BTS learned a lesson from CM, and will stock MANY more copies; but, I'd still prefer to pre order.

2) Will there be a demo? I hope that BTS will refrain from releassing a demo, until CMBB is published. Giving away the games features, and surprises before it is released is a big downer.

3) Will CMBB be the best game released to date? I think no answer is needed here... but lets let the SSNs decide for themselves, eh?

We have always been and will continue to be VERY WARY about officially announcing release dates.

It just opens up entirely too many cans of worms.

We know it can be frustrating to wait, its frustating for us as well logistically, marketing wise and for a variety of other business reasons but we absolutely WILL NOT release a product that does not meet our own standards and the simple fact is that CMBB is NOT finished yet.

Until it is, have fun playing CMBO. When the time is right we will provide a better handle on an expected release date.

Madmatt

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

I agree with those who say "do it right, we can wait". I've bought too many games recently that are at best half-finished.

Besides, I think June 22 would be a very appropriate release date. ;)

Or how about VE day, I like that date even more. A Whole month and a bit before 22nd of june.

ah I want a good finished game like the rest. Not game when the first patch/update comes out an hour after it first ships. :(

(PS. I've seen that happen, won't say which title)

tongue.gif

Originally posted by Madmatt:

We have always been and will continue to be VERY WARY about officially announcing release dates.

It just opens up entirely too many cans of worms.

We know it can be frustrating to wait, its frustating for us as well logistically, marketing wise and for a variety of other business reasons but we absolutely WILL NOT release a product that does not meet our own standards and the simple fact is that CMBB is NOT finished yet.

Until it is, have fun playing CMBO. When the time is right we will provide a better handle on an expected release date.

Madmatt

Let's take this as a hint on the old question : how many CM:BO copies has been sold? At least enough to make so much money that 4 guys don't need to seriously worry about the release date of CM:BB tongue.gif

[ February 27, 2002, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Puff the Magic Dragon ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Madmatt

Not another one of those 'release is imminent' posts that set off the 'Night of the Refreshing Monkeys'?