CMBB on the XBOX

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Warmaker:

What's with the camping infantrymen and 88s?

LoL!

Among other complaints, I dont feel the *twitch* crowd would appreciate a game such as this. Just for the graphics alone would be a big no seller, STS.

*twitch crowd*, I loathe this term, because I do love me quake-type games, but I've a love for history and TB type tactics/strategy games as well. Which I fear is not the norm.

Hmm I think it would be great to have CM-II on the XBox... The more platforms, the better, I say. Is it going to happen? I doubt that very much, but who knows? Not even Steve and gang, I guess. smile.gif

IMHO, there are just some "small" issues with CMXX, that if they were "fixed", could make it a HUGE seller, on multiple platforms, including consoles.

1. Graphics. Yup, as good as they are now, they are not good enough. It NEEDS directional lighting, light effects for guns and explosions. Smoke, dust, smoke, dust. More. Throw in some tread marks too. The infantry models and esp. their animations is below par. That wont do. It needs to improved. It wouldn't need "more visible men per squad", 3 should be enough, at least on the scope CM is now. If it could be done, sure, but not needed. Smaller terrain features, for more "expressive" maps/scenery. Would be nice, but not necessarily needed.

2. Interface. More options changeable for the user, scroll speed, viewing angles (complete freedom, not just 8 + some tilt angles). More accessible formation options. Roster for all units on map. More information about the purpose of different units. Yes, like the upcoming "strategy guide", I guess, but inside the game.

3. Campaign mode. Give the player a purpose for fighting. A big motivator for games against the AI.

4. Retail. Sad, but true. At least for the console versions.

There. Those are the 4 "small" issues I see that stands in CM's/BFC's/BTS' way on the march to BIG sales/Tank buying incomes.

DISCLAIMER:

Note that I said those are the things that are needed to make it a HUGE seller, NOT to make it a better wargame. For me, eliminating the Borg's are much more important than any of the above, but it wouldn't be needed for the BIG seller version. I'm completely happy with the present graphics/interface. I wouldn't mind those improvements (some are bound to happen), but I'm happy either way. Just give me no-borg and a campaign mode, and I'll wet my pants for sure.

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

Hmm I think it would be great to have CM-II on the XBox... The more platforms, the better, I say. Is it going to happen? I doubt that very much, but who knows? Not even Steve and gang, I guess. smile.gif

IMHO, there are just some "small" issues with CMXX, that if they were "fixed", could make it a HUGE seller, on multiple platforms, including consoles.

1. Graphics. Yup, as good as they are now, they are not good enough. It NEEDS directional lighting, light effects for guns and explosions. Smoke, dust, smoke, dust. More. Throw in some tread marks too. The infantry models and esp. their animations is below par. That wont do. It needs to improved. It wouldn't need "more visible men per squad", 3 should be enough, at least on the scope CM is now. If it could be done, sure, but not needed. Smaller terrain features, for more "expressive" maps/scenery. Would be nice, but not necessarily needed.

2. Interface. More options changeable for the user, scroll speed, viewing angles (complete freedom, not just 8 + some tilt angles). More accessible formation options. Roster for all units on map. More information about the purpose of different units. Yes, like the upcoming "strategy guide", I guess, but inside the game.

3. Campaign mode. Give the player a purpose for fighting. A big motivator for games against the AI.

4. Retail. Sad, but true. At least for the console versions.

There. Those are the 4 "small" issues I see that stands in CM's/BFC's/BTS' way on the march to BIG sales/Tank buying incomes.

DISCLAIMER:

Note that I said those are the things that are needed to make it a HUGE seller, NOT to make it a better wargame. For me, eliminating the Borg's are much more important than any of the above, but it wouldn't be needed for the BIG seller version. I'm completely happy with the present graphics/interface. I wouldn't mind those improvements (some are bound to happen), but I'm happy either way. Just give me no-borg and a campaign mode, and I'll wet my pants for sure.

So what you're saying is: change the way the game works, change the combat system, change all the graphics, change the company ethos, and then port it over.

Good plan. I second this motion. I think that BFC should, whilst they're doing this, spend some time snowboarding in hell. :rolleyes:

Releasing a PC game for the X-Box has one major advantage over a release for PS2, GameCube or similar: The X-Box is basically a PC with an Intel processor and a nVidia mainboard and graphics chip inside.

There is not all that much porting to do to make a DirectX game run on the X-Box. But the architectures of the other consoles differ significantly from a PC, so much more work would have to be done to make a PC game run on them.

Dschugaschwili

Originally posted by Soddball:

So what you're saying is: change the way the game works, change the combat system, change all the graphics, change the company ethos, and then port it over.

Good plan. I second this motion. I think that BFC should, whilst they're doing this, spend some time snowboarding in hell. :rolleyes:

Soddball, did you even READ what I wrote? If you did, you certainly didn't understand it... Read it again, maybe it will come through this time.

"change the way the game works" - did I say that?

"change the combat system" - did I say that?

"change all the graphics" - "all" the graphics? Did I say that?

"change the company ethos" - yes. And they already have, in a way... CDV?

I put that "DISCLAIMER" there, in capital letter, in hope that I would steer clear of any "rolling eyes" posts, but that obviously failed.

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

Releasing a PC game for the X-Box has one major advantage over a release for PS2, GameCube or similar: The X-Box is basically a PC with an Intel processor and a nVidia mainboard and graphics chip inside.

The NVidia chip is the reason why you can't port CM to the X-Box. There isn't an ALT-TAB key so you'd never be able to read any of the text.

CMBB may never see the inside of a XBox for the same reason why they currently can't be seen on U.S. store shelves. I imagine that hooking up with XBox means they do all the work and someone else will see most of the profits!

They got a Eurpoean distribution deal that they felt was to their advantage, but no such luck with U.S. distributors. They decided it was financially wise to sell fewer units via the web and keep all of the profits than to sell a lot over the counter an keep a fraction of the profits. I'd bet the same would apply to getting your title into the XBox franchise.

Originally posted by laxx:

*shudder* cmbb as a console game...

at least put it on playstation 2 and not some crummy microsloth machine. they bought out atomix and canned close combat 3 onwards...

never support the bad guys, you sleep better.

Now that we're on the topic of Microsoft, I "vaguely" remember a certain MechWarrior franchise going down the drain THE SECOND Microsoft got it's greedy hands on it.

God, MechWarrior 2 was... wow, now that was a game!

What I say is true. Just look at mech 4, it's turned the mech games from deep simulations into f*cking arcade games! Why? So it appeals to the masses/twitch crowd/console gamer types which will amount to more $$$ for Microsoft.

Games are so big these days that it's not about the games anymore, but rather the money. Companies like BTS are examples of what developers once were like in the past. Now all I can think of is business suites when I think of gaming companies.

Sorry for the rant.

Business issues aside (i.e. BTS would get completely raped by MS in the end, since that's what happens to companies who join up with the dark side), I think the technical limitations of consoles don't make this possible.

TV resolution is just not there. It would be so pixillated and grainy, yech. Maybe when everyone has an HDTV. Also, imagine using the XBOX controller for this game? Nope, people would have to buy a mouse. Hey, and a keyboard would be nice too......at this point, you've just bought yourself a pc.

Nope, bad idea. Especially since BTS does its development on Macs!

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

Soddball, did you even READ what I wrote? If you did, you certainly didn't understand it... Read it again, maybe it will come through this time.

"change the way the game works" - did I say that?

"change the combat system" - did I say that?

"change all the graphics" - "all" the graphics? Did I say that?

"change the company ethos" - yes. And they already have, in a way... CDV?

I put that "DISCLAIMER" there, in capital letter, in hope that I would steer clear of any "rolling eyes" posts, but that obviously failed.</font>