3 reasons to get CMBB if everything else was unchanged

The MGs. In Yelnia I am routinely dislocating the Russian advance using just the MGs. The other infantry squads are just taking a nap.

I've had a play with the artillery in the demo and a better look at it during the preview, and it all looks much better smile.gif:D The setup-barrage in particular – when combined with a well designed scenario and a good briefing – has me all giddy with excitement.

One minor quibble though,

From the Improvements and Changes page:

Minefields can be reduced or eliminated by shellfire (though this will not be explicitly shown - you just have to judge roughly by how many craters you see, and hope).

I would be interested to hear the rationale behind this. While it might seem obvious that artillery could/should breach minefields, everything I have seen, read, and heard indicates that while technically possibly, it was operationally extremely impractical. Sample sources are Pemberton (1951) The development of artillery tactics and equipment, and Salt’s Snippets (Thanks John)

Regards

JonS

Edit: to point out that I do realise there is a 'can' in there, which probably indicates less than 100% reliability for artillery breaching minefields.

[ September 10, 2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by Andreas:

The following three reasons would have made me shell out money, even if all else had stayed the same between CMBB and CMBO. They are the reasons I will never go back to CMBO.

Same here. CMBO gave me lots of play value, and was an outstanding product for its time. But what all has been added to CMBB has rendered CMBO obsolescent to me for all intents.

1. Completely revamped penetration model for rounds. No longer will a 2-pdr take out a Panther from the side with one shot

I don't know if this has been paralleled with any significant changes to shell trajectory models, but yes, any improvements on penetration were welcome.

I will also note that the added speciality LATW's like molotov's and ATM's seem reasonably modelled, though more play later on will confirm.

2. Completely revamped artillery model. Different size batteries, pre-barrages, different modelling of rocket barrages, time counter between volleys, radio/wire FOOs.

Yep, great stuff altogether. Even at this tactical scale, artillery is often a critical weapon. (Yelnia Scenario SPOILER STATEMENT: The Yelnia scenario also demonstrates an added potential difference in "flexibility" where the Soviet spotter can't adjust an initially chosen target point.)

3. Changed MG modelling. HMGs are now the killers that they really were.

Geez, Andreas, you've nailed down the other key factor before I could. ;)

What are yours?

I will add the following:

4. Modeling of "covered arcs." First off, providing separate arcs, based on "armored target" or "soft target," go some way to help also model a fire "standard operational procedure" or SOP. Second, the player isn't constrained to defining a true arc, but can instead effectively "triangulate" a fire zone. Much more flexible.

5. The added movement commands for infantry. I think their sum value fairly compares with that for the other key features cited earlier. Also, some like "assault" are tied to unit experience. That is not only historically appropriate, but puts an added constraint on CM QB gamers who think that buying lots of conscript or green SMG squads is a good idea.

(Some will probably still do so; but the consequence will be more pronounced. ;) )

Because- It's your destiny, Luke Skywalker...

(heavy breathing)

Because- I can't NOT buy it...

Because my Russian wife and her mom will go nuts watching me pulverize Fritzes for them...

Mainly because I think that Charles, Steve, MadMatt, Moon and I were actually Separated AT Birth and so, well, I gotta have it, they'r my bro's, ya know... :D

(As Spook said, Yelnia Spoiler alert)

Originally posted by Spook:

Yep, great stuff altogether. Even at this tactical scale, artillery is often a critical weapon. (Yelnia Scenario SPOILER STATEMENT: The Yelnia scenario also demonstrates an added potential difference in "flexibility" where the Soviet spotter can't adjust an initially chosen target point.)

This is not just for Soviet FOOs. Any artillery plotted on the first turn is defined as a prep-barrage and cannot be altered. If you do not add delay time to the barrage it will begin falling immeadiately on turn one, otherwise it starts after the set delay.

Originally posted by Andreas:

[QB]The following three reasons would have made me shell out money, even if all else had stayed the same between CMBB and CMBO. They are the reasons I will never go back to CMBO.

1. Completely revamped penetration model for rounds. No longer will a 2-pdr take out a Panther from the side with one shot

QB]

If thats the case then I want my pre-order $ back!

In addition to the MGs and more effective infantry commands it will definitely be the control of AFVs, esp tanks with HQ units, weapon arcs and move to contact/seek hull down. It will make their use much more realistic and will allow players to more accurately model EFFECTIVE tank tactics.