3 reasons to get CMBB if everything else was unchanged

The following three reasons would have made me shell out money, even if all else had stayed the same between CMBB and CMBO. They are the reasons I will never go back to CMBO.

1. Completely revamped penetration model for rounds. No longer will a 2-pdr take out a Panther from the side with one shot

2. Completely revamped artillery model. Different size batteries, pre-barrages, different modelling of rocket barrages, time counter between volleys, radio/wire FOOs.

3. Changed MG modelling. HMGs are now the killers that they really were.

And those are just the most obvious, not even beginning to talk about things like optics, the modelling of climate impact on weaponry/fitness, fitness modelling, new order menus, and whatnot.

What are yours?

[ September 10, 2002, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

For me?

1) It depicts the East front. The enlarged time scope, and multitude of nationalities, would have made me buy the game even if the game engine was completely untouched.

2) Variable rarity. This feature brings in an element of uncertainty when playing, which will further enhance the already incredible replayability factor of this game.

M

Game elements, ie no regard for differences in scope.

1. Real machineguns with real suppressive power.

2. Covered arc.

3. Covered arc armor. Gives (among other things) the ability to set up mother-beautiful ambushes.

4. Camoflage. I've spent ten minutes sitting in front of my squadmates in broad daylight without them spotting me and they were actively looking for me. Range 15 meters.

5. New command range. I like Move to contact, Hull-down and Shoot and Scoot especially.

That's just off the top of my head.

1. more realistic infantry battles. now fire fights occur at ranges that make sense instead of everything happening at close range. area fire is far more important to keep the enemy pinned down while you advance.

2. improved modeling of vehicles, both graphically and firing calculations.

3. bigger maps. manuevering is now a real option. also, along with improved optics, (german)tanks and guns can now engage at ranges which were historically accurate.

so many more to list, but that will do for now...

1. MGs (not just the heavies... squad LMG have supressive FP)

2. Tank Platoons

3. New orders... particularly advance and assault

4. StuGs (I don't care which model)

5. Did I mention MGs?

6. Move to contact... when coupled with flamethrowers.

7. Did I mention StuGs?

8. Optics (did I mention StuGs?)

9. SdKfz 251s (did I mention MGs?)

10. Side scrolling with the mouse (I find myself wanting to do that in CMBO)

I wouldn't go back for anything at this point

The "slow-down" factor. Not a feature as such but the effect of a combination of features; principally EFOW, infantry tiring more quickly and "hitting the dirt" faster; longer order delays, tank crew morale and probably many others.

This really shows in the Yelnia scenario; it just feels so much more realistic and plays out much more closely to accounts of this type of battle.

I have to say I was also very taken with the fire spreading in the wheatfield; looks good and could easily have had a detrimental effect on my (Soviet) attack (didn't but could have)

OK,

1. Engagement Ranges: MUCH more realistic than in CMBO. This in my opinion is my favorite new feature of this game! I find the average engagement raanges for me have almost doubled in CMBB. This allows me to buy a platoon of Marders or Nashorns and use them as I am supposed to in order to dominate the battlefield at long range, 1000-2000 meters.

2. HMG fire: I have heard some worried muttering that the HMG's may be too powerful and overmodeled, etc. etc. I disagree. The HMG's are now a very powerful support weapon. They cannot be used on the attack because they require time to setup. They are slow to move, quick to tire while moving, and very vulnerable while moving because they cannot shoot back. HOWEVER, anchor your defense with a couple of well placed HMG's and your opponent will need arty, armor, or HMG's of his own to root you out without taking prohibitive casualties. WHAT! YOU MEAN A PLAYER MUST UNDERSTAND AND USE COMBINED ARMS TACTICS??!! Holy skill development, Batman!

3. Close assaulting armor: muhahahahahahaha. I love close assaulting a tank that has strayed too close to one of my lurking Tank Hunter teams or squads in ambush. I can remember the feeling and frustration of being Allies in CMBO and being helpless once my PIAT's or Bazookas were dead. Not so any more!

smile.gif

jw

Talking about reasons, i just opened and read this page. Damn, i say, there's so much new stuff i didn't now about...

Let me quote some of the items on that list:

Artillery strikes will continue beyond the incapacitation of the FO if:

1. The strike was planned on turn one (i.e. a "preplanned strike"), or

2. The strike had begun firing spotting rounds (or, if it’s not the type to fire spotting rounds, then was within the time period where spotting rounds would otherwise be fired).

Hot temperature reduces optical performance, especially for German equipment. The reduction is lesser for more experienced crews.

Extremely cold temperature reduces performance of ‘standard’ optics, especially for inexperienced crews.

Extremely cold temperature increases performance of German optics, especially for experienced crews.

Why German optics benefit from colder temperatures and vice versa?

Units won’t fire small arms at an area target they’re set to use demo charges against.

That means you can tell engineers to use demo charges?

Ski troops. They begin the game with skis but will lose them (permanently) if they attempt any move other than: Move, Move to Contact, or Run.
Wow!

QB Assault Defenders must spend a certain portion of their points on fortifications.
In QBs, 10% of your troops will show up at one experience level lower than you expected, and 10% at one level higher. The random experience level variations in quick battles are now (roughly) "balanced" so you get roughly even amounts of raisings as lowerings, largely defeating any purpose to cheating.

QBs apply the experience setting (low/medium/high) appropriately to the various forces available. For example, "high quality" Russian troops in 1941 will only be Regular.

Warm temperature reduces fatigue-recovery rate by 15%. Hot temperature by 40%.

Wheeled and half-tracked vehicles display "Off-Road Ability" of Good, Fair or Poor.

Sewer movement: Allowed by scenario parameter. Movement takes place between large heavy buildings only and is slow. Any sewer move has a 10% risk of "death in the sewers". Units must be Veteran+ or in-command Regular. Heavy weapons not allowed in sewer
Clicking on a movement path will select that unit.
Yessss! Finaly!

If a Move-to-contact unit had "hide" planned as the last part of its move, it will hide when it makes enemy contact.

Squad types have different ammo loads depending on their weapons. Generally the more SMGs the lower the ammo load.
JasonC's dream come true.

When you drag a targeting/LOS line to an enemy near enough (20m) to a TRP that your unit qualifies for a boresight bonus, you’ll see "boresighted" indicated. Note that your unit cannot have moved in order qualify for this bonus.

I HAVE preordered.

3. Close assaulting armor: muhahahahahahaha. I love close assaulting a tank that has strayed too close to one of my lurking Tank Hunter teams or squads in ambush. I can remember the feeling and frustration of being Allies in CMBO and being helpless once my PIAT's or Bazookas were dead. Not so any more!
I've had this happen in CMBO. American para squad close-assaulted an immobilized Panther at night (squad in woods, Panther immediately adjacent). Tossed a grenade, and bye-bye Panther.

I sure wouldn't have wanted to try it in the daytime, though. ;)

I'll try to pick the big three, as I see them.

1)The balance of play: In CMBO, it always felt wrong..there was a sort of an unbreachable gap between infantry and tanks. Now, everything's all nice and combined-armsy smile.gif It just feels better and more realistic, the pace, the weapons, all of it.

That's really all I need, but..I'll pick two more

2)Features that refine the TacAI: Like covered arc, ect..Targeting, esp. armor targeting nearly drove me to distraction in BO many, many times.It's sooooooo much better now.

3)East Front! says it all...

[ September 10, 2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: mch ]

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

10. Side scrolling with the mouse (I find myself wanting to do that in CMBO)

DO you mean that you never held down Shift while mouse-scrolling? It locks the screen view, much like how in CMBB you get the screen-lock/side-scroll by using the mouse in the lower parts of the screen.