Rumblings of War Announcement

For all those interested in the Rumblings of War series of tournaments:

I am very pleased to announce a formal partnership between the coordinators of the Rumblings of War tournaments and the Boots and Tracks scenario design team. Treeburst155 has pledged to run as many tournaments as Boots and Tracks can provide scenarios for; Boots and Tracks in turn has pledged as many scenarios as Treeburst155 can run tournaments for; and WineCape has pledged wine from his private cellar to future tournament champions.

All in all, it is a vicious circle that can only repeat until no one plays in our tournaments anymore. smile.gif

The tournament threads will remain on the Battlefront.com Combat Mission forum, where they have been run in the past. Due to some... heh... issues with communication, Kingfish has volunteered to handle coordinating the tournaments in the ongoing thread. Kingfish will work with the B&T team, Treeburst155, and WineCape to ensure that things go smoothly. As an added feature, we hope to have non fog-of-war restricted information on a dedicated Rumblings of War tournament webpage, as a part of the Boots and Tracks webpage, within the next few weeks.

A final note: Rumblings of War III has been scheduled. It will be the first Rumblings of War tournament to be played with Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, and it will be launched in early January. This is later than we had hoped, but it is a realistic date that we expect that we can stick with - RoWII should certainly be complete, all participants will have been lined up, and all should have some experience with CMBB by this point. This gives the Boots and Tracks team adequate time to prepare scenarios specifically for the tournament, and this way the event itself will begin after the holidays, when many will be off on vacations anyway.

Thanks to all the participants in these tournaments; the team really enjoys contributing scenarios and hearing your feedback, and we hope that you enjoy our battles. First round RoWII battles - and the identities of their designers - will be released in a matter of weeks, as soon as the first round is complete.

Regards,

Scott B.

This is good to know. Tournaments organized here have been one of the brightest things about this community, and after last month's small troubles I got a little afraid for their future...

Keep up the good work. I'm starting to think that bowing out of RoW II was a big mistake, as Nordic CM Champhionships were my best CM experience so far, hands down. smile.gif

-Lunael

Thanks Scott and Kingfish!

A new development - for the better - has appeared and Treeburst will hopefully post here within the next couple of days ;)

As to entry for RoW III, Treeburst will decide in the near future the parameters/conditions of those applying as entrants. If I remember correctly, the RoW I/II veteran applicants that have proven their good PBEM turn arounds in the past will be weighted more as regard to qualifying for the RoW III tourney, but I cannot speak for Mike yet on this issue. Applying dates seem closer to Xmas, as the tourney will start in January 2003.

Kind regards,

header_Winelands02.gif

Charl Theron

[ August 22, 2002, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

With regrets I have to ask for an increase in paranoia when admitting players.

The dropouts in ROW II hurt a little much, not to speak of the nordic wannabee tournament where a whole section couldn't be rated.

Aye, redwolf,

This is one of our biggest concerns and Treeburst and I will look into this matter with earnest.

Excellent news! Am so glad that this great tradition, established under CMBO, is now formalized and marches on to greater glory under CMBB. Am also glad that it doesn't start until January, as by then I will certainly have replaced my present computer (hoping for much, much sooner). Besides, it'll be my birthday midmonth. If chosen, I shall celebrate with a bang! Hmm, Katyushas or Nebelwerfers? Decisions, decisions!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by redwolf:

With regrets I have to ask for an increase in paranoia when admitting players.

The dropouts in ROW II hurt a little much, not to speak of the nordic wannabee tournament where a whole section couldn't be rated.

So far (fingers crossed) we have seen about a 13% dropout rate for RoW II. Luckily, many of these occurred early on, so replacements were easy to find.

The real problem occurs when someone drops out near the end. In these instances, I'm thinking I should finish the games myself. Using a timer, I would limit myself to 5 minutes per turn for giving orders. This would perhaps make up for any knowledge of the scenario I may have picked up from finishing other games for dropouts.

Believe it or not, I would actually be quite blind the first time I had to finish a game. Right now, I'm playing Another Day with SuperTed and I'm blind as a bat.

It is not necessary for me to study the scenarios in order to secure them for the tourneys. I get a glimpse of the setup zones, and that's it. I try to stay as blind as possible when doing the securing so I don't blow the scenarios for myself. I like to play blind. smile.gif With a short time limit, I think we could arrive at a final score that is fair to the player stranded by the dropout. Feedback?

Treeburst155 out.

Sounds good to me, but this only works because there is somebod (you smile.gif ) who is willing to invest a lot of time.

In ROW 2 I have completed all my games, so its not a problem there. But it was annoying, one game went through 3 commanders, all playing differently. Surprising flanking can hurt :D

Good idea TB and I would back you on finishing the games off if there was not many turns left.

Usually at that stage the die is cast and there is not a lot to be done with the game anyway.

;)

As for the Sgt he was a pain in the bum and should be banned from any future ROW's as he might actually win one...

smile.gif

H