Improve Your Tactics... CMBB Strategy Guide Announced and Available FOR SALE NOW!!!!!

aka_tom - I got CMBB in 3 days. I got an ebay purchase in 3 days just today.

DOOMSDAYER.

Incidentally, Moon, I think I ordered the CDV version of the book by mistake - how do I get that order changed? I don't want the pdf but the full book version....

AND YEAH who is the author, anyhow?

[ December 09, 2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Incidentally, Moon, I think I ordered the CDV version of the book by mistake - how do I get that order changed? I don't want the pdf but the full book version....

Too late. Print and send the front cover and $11.00... :D

I have to say that from I can see it looks uninteresting. The intro and the unit charts we can see are of little use and the TOC doesn't say much.

Did you consider putting up one of the real chapters? Seems to me it is the only way to get a true impression of the value of this book.

EDIT: Noticed this posting sounds harsh, it isn't meant to. I'd just like to know.

[ December 09, 2002, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Good lord I am falling in line with redwolf . . .

kind of . . .

I guess I just would like to know . . .

what is it that this book offers outside of a few data tables that I cannot get from spending some time on the tips and tricks forum?

I'm not trying to troll, and to be very honest I had that initial 'wow that's cool I want one' reaction, but after a little thought, I am interested in just what this book has to offer.

Steve

Coouple of questions please;

Who is Tom Walker and has anyone played him PBEM or TCP/IP? I mean does he know what he is about?

Would it be possible to see a couple pages as sample PDF files or something?

I do appreciate the table of contents and so forth, but when I buy a book I read a couple of pages before buying. I'd just like a little better taste for if this book is going to be worth reading for me.

Thanks!

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Good lord I am falling in line with redwolf . . .

kind of . . .

I guess I just would like to know . . .

what is it that this book offers outside of a few data tables that I cannot get from spending some time on the tips and tricks forum?

I'm not trying to troll, and to be very honest I had that initial 'wow that's cool I want one' reaction, but after a little thought, I am interested in just what this book has to offer.

Steve

Well i had that initial 'WOW ....Gotta get one', then i thought about it ..... yeah there are already a set of tables available ....yeah the tips & tricks (and this one) can answer any question I may have.

Then I looked at my lame little UK cdv manual..... and thought 'WOW' again .... then reached for the wallet and ordered smile.gif

Lou2000

I would also really like to know a bit more about the guide. Will it be of any use to other people than novice players? I have no trouble beating the AI in almost any scenario, but I am well aware that there are lots of better human players out there. But will this strategy guide give me any tips on how to improve my gameplay from "good" to "excellent"? By the impression of the TOC and introduction, it won't. Quotes like

We cover the basics, even way more than the basics, but there are things that the grognards know that you’ll only learn the hard way… by playing them. Let me put it this way, they have taught me everything I know, but not everything that they know.
it’s not the last word in Combat Mission tactics, but it’s a darn good start.
Mark was given full access to beta testers, scenario designers and even those of us that created the game in order to provide you, the reader (and gameplayer), with new insight and knowledge about the award winning Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.
So this guy is a total outsider, with no "inside" information whatsoever.

I am especially disappointed that there seems to be next to no information about artillery and air tactics.

So, all in all, I think I will try to live without this book. At least until you guys here at the forum who bought it can say if it's worth the money or not. smile.gif

Whether the author is a CM expert or has never played the game in his life (which I doubt) doesn't really matter any more than if the typesetters have played the game. It looks as if he's been commisioned because of his ability in compiling strategy guides. The information will be coming from BFC and the beta-testers, it's simply the author's job to organise it and present it in a readable format, which is the advantage the guide has over trawling througn the Tips and Tricks, where the information is disorganised, full of grammatical and spelling mistakes and not easily accessible offline. Personally I'm willimg to pay $22 for that, an amount which wouldn't even pay for an evening in the pub in rip-off Britain smile.gif .

Redwolf, Dirtweasle, Hurricane and others - the Strat Guide pages give a good overview/indication of what's in the book. It has useful tidbits for everyone, newbies and experienced players, stuff like the unit charts, or command delay and C&C range charts and so on. There are also interviews with the testers about tactics, and even "walktrhoughs" for some of the scenarios that come on CD, turning them into semi-tutorials and showcasing proper use of suppressive fire, combined arms tactics and so on in specific examples.

The book talks about basics of infantry and armor tactics as it applies to CMBB specifically. Is it the final word on military tactics? Nope. Many books have been written about that topic, and many more will be written about it, CMBB Strat Guide or not.

The Guide is not essential to play the game. It provides more depth and detail than the manual can, but even with 300+ pages (in fact it's more like 330+ IIRC) it's not possible to touch upon every detail in the game, or even nearly so. As such, the Guide is probably most useful to new players or those that are struggling with the transition between CMBO and CMBB. Experienced players will still find the additional charts or the bibliography sections interesting most likely, but of course it's your decision if it's worth $15 to you or not.

Martin

Just to make that clear: I didn't want to spoil the show. I agree with Firefly that a professional writer can be a good choice for this kind of guide, because he writes better (doh) and if he's good he'll pass on the info from other sources, overall making a better product than a hardcore non-writer.

Having said that, I still think the preview material doesn't really allow any judgement. The charts are essential, but the crowd here already has their own (some of them in their silly heads smile.gif ).

If James is getting a copy then I had better have one to ensure that he does not get too far ahead of me.

Anyway £10 is a small price to pay and if the money (or some of it) is going to my favorite charity then I am more than happy.

I see Europe will be shipping on Friday.

;)

I do hope it beats the Christmas rush.

H

I think I'm going to wait for the reviews on this board before buying.

If (reasonably) experienced plays could report back on its value to other (reasonably) experienced (none of us are grizzled vets of CMBB), that might be helpful to the rest of us in deciding whether to buy or not.

I'd be very interested to know what Holien thinks, for example!