What if WWII were _exactly_ like CMBO?

kawas's posts are really thought provoking:

What else would have been different in WWII if the way vehicles, men, weapons, etc. behave in CMBO really was the way they behaved in RL. (No "Hmm... uh, my hand slipped" Autosave function, but most everything else...)

Optional assumptions:

a) Commanders get to pick the forces right before a battle (QB)

B) Forces are never more than a few battalions in size

c) Map edges, flags, turn limits

d) QB point values correspond to unit construction cost and/or rarity.

Any Generals who wouldn't have been able to cope with last turn flag rushes?

Could it explain the "great escape" at Dunkirk? (I mean, a more interesting explaination.)

Blitzkrig tactics still work?

Would Germany have been able to produce SMGs to meet the demand? Would the Allies have fielded SMG troops?

Would Canada have ruled the world?

Wither the HMG?

Would the Manhatten project have been derailed by Project Newark: an attempt to make a commander-spooter capable vehicle mounted mortar.

Would the fact that all tanks of a given model have the same ID# altered the outcome of the Falaise pocket?

[ August 19, 2002, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

Any Generals who wouldn't have been able to cope with last turn flag rushes?

Only the most foolish General would fight without Badco's Endgame Randomizer.

HMG's might not exist at all...their firepower is too weak (no grazing fire) and not only can the crews NOT run, but they can't abandon their MG if they get into big trouble.

The Commonwealth might have foundered with the sub-par 25 pdr performance, unless their HQ's requisitioned lots of Crack spotters.

95mm Cromwells would be tank hunters par excellence. Bunkers and Aircraft would be banned by the Geneva convention for most battles. etc etc etc.

(In an office in the Kremlin Stalin sits in large leather chair glaring at Marshal Zhukov, who stands at attention)

Stalin: You idiot! You've managed to lose the Great Patriotic War! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't hand you over to Beria and his boys right now!

Zhukov: But, Comrade Stalin, we've captured Berlin, the hammer and sickle is flying over the Reichstag and the entirity of Eastern Europe from the Baltic to the Adriatic is in the hands of the glorious Red Army. How can I have lost?

Stalin: Because, you fool, you lost too many men. I have the report here. it says Axis Tactical Victory. Guards! Take Private Zhukov to the Lubianka instantly!

Originally posted by a1steaks:

Do you think around April 1945 Hitler would have stopped sending his PBEM turns?

ROFL! I needed that laugh smile.gif

It has been mentioned before that a typical soldier would MAYBE see combat as intense as CMBO combat once during his war time experience. Battles that intense in that short of time just didnt happen that often. Battles would go on for days with the same effect.

Chad Harrison

1. Flak trucks would never have seen action as they never went beyond the stage of quality control.

2. The most used question by photo intelligence officers (when analysing pics of enemy troops) would have been: "What grass are they using ?"

3. Tank crews would not put paint on their tanks for additional camo, they would just load a mod.

Marcus

There would be no war crimes because they're too damned difficult to perform.

Rangers, commandoes and armored infantry would not be allowed on the battlefield, and all infantry would be forced to surrender any non-standard gear...

"Jackson, where the hell'd you get that tommy gun?"

"From one of the airborne boys."

"Well throw it away and use your damned rifle, that's not part of our TO&E!"

[ August 20, 2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Elijah Meeks ]

When you opponent (who you friendly set up a battle with, picking all the right conditions for you to win on the battlefield) runs his troops along the battlefield boundries, you can stop the battle, and demand that he sends those troops to the middle and to stop being so gamey!

If he then opens up with his AT guns on your meeting engagement, you can cry gamey and stop the battle immedialty, never having to battle him agian and your troops are all sent on permanent leave.

And, ontop of that, dont you even dare buyi . . . I mean bringing those German SMG troops, else you be found guilty of gamey playing and be executed by the peng after the war.

What would happen if WWII were exactly like CMBO:

The exact same results, but everyone would post on the forums about how the results were skewed because the Tiger's mantle wasn't modelled properly, German optics weren't taken into account and American tactics were gamey.