Games Domain Review of Retail Version

welll this is interesting

is that Donald Sutherland face shot of OddBall in Kelly's Heroes now in the public domain?

that looks questionable to me?

It sort of all seems "ok" when all these mods were sort of "underground", but now they are selling a mod disk with screen grabs from copyrighted material like "Kelly's Heroes" on the mod disk.

oh well

I'm sure someone has worked out all the legal technicalities?

-tom w

combatmission04.jpg

[ March 24, 2002, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Hmm, sounds to me like two of the three bonus scenarios mentioned are from Der Kessel - 'Bure' and one of Berli's Toulon series. The reviewer obviously knows quality scenarios when he sees them :D

[ March 24, 2002, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

As an aside, I've just been looking at the E.B. and GAME store websites for the UK. They both currently have Combat Mission as a Top Ten seller! It is ranked number 7 at the moment and is ahead of some real heavyweights.

So it looks like the BTS-CDV linkup has paid off in a big way. Great news smile.gif

is that Donald Sutherland face shot of OddBall in Kelly's Heroes now in the public domain?

that looks questionable to me?

It sort of all seems "ok" when all these mods were sort of "underground", but now they are selling a mod disk with screen grabs from copyrighted material like "Kelly's Heroes" on the mod disk.

I was the one who wrote that review. Just for clarification: I don't believe that portrait mod is included on the disc, and I took the screenshots--they're not from the publisher. I'd tell you what site I dl'ed that mod from, but I don't recall--probably CMHQ, maybe Kump's CM Outpost back in the day.

I believe that face mod didn't get properly cleared out when I installed the mods from the disc that I didn't already have (and I was already using almost all of them). Apologies if that screenshot created any confusion.

The UK version of PC Gamer also reviewed it,they reviewed the original too and liked it.They gave it the same score as before - 89% - and described it as still the best computer wargame ever. Their only cavils were the price tag and they would have preferred more building mods on the mod CD.

[ March 24, 2002, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Hi,

No game will ever get a better write-up than this.

CMBO deserves all the praise it gets. I always knew someone would have a go at a Squad Leader type game, but I never expected anything as good as CM. We are all very lucky BTS are as unhinged about wargames as many of us are!

Just think, Steve and Charles may have wanted to produce a space wars game!

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Nice review. Would be nice if the specifications mentioned that it runs on mac also

Well, that would be because the version they reviewed (the UK English Language Version Distributed by CDV) DOES'NT include the Mac version.

There were problems applying CDV's copy protection software to work on Mac's so unfortunately these CD's don't have the Mac version included.

Madmatt

No, all mods and scenarios included on the Bonus CD were approved by their respective authors before the CD was mastered.

We are not responsible for screenshots shown however that include other peoples mods. As stated above it seems the screenshots shown in that review had other mods applied which are NOT part of the Mod CD.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

As an aside, I've just been looking at the E.B. and GAME store websites for the UK. They both currently have Combat Mission as a Top Ten seller! It is ranked number 7 at the moment and is ahead of some real heavyweights.

So it looks like the BTS-CDV linkup has paid off in a big way. Great news smile.gif

Too bad Brit Mac users are getting the shaft. Again, as usual.

Will a Mac version ever hit the shelves or are we not "Economically Viable"?

Gyrene

Guest Panzer Boxb
Originally posted by Soddball:

Game's Review is way out of date. Everybody should email them and complain. They are talking about no TCP/IP and 1.01 patches. Imbeciles!

Well, in their defense the review was written some time ago. Look at the last section where they talk about "missing features." They mention if things were held back the game wouldn't be released until Christmas of 2000. However, it does look like they updated other info so perhaps they should do the same for the review itself.

Pardon me, it's early morning and I'm cranky! :D

[ March 25, 2002, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Panzer Boxb ]

Originally posted by Andreas:

I feel like I am being shafted whenever I look at the prices for Macs and supplies here in the UK. Usually get the stuff from Germany, but then the Royal Mail (pardon me, Consignia) loses the parcel. These guys could not run a bath, let alone a postal service.

Where are you based Gyrene?

I'm actually in California. I should have meant "Mac users get the shaft, again" ;)

I'm with ya on the price of supplies. Nothing like paying $160 for the same Radeon card that sells for $99 on the Windows side.

And nothing like seeing games like Halo, which was developed mostly on Macs and would be released first on the Mac go MIA after the Evil from Redmond™ bought out one of the best Mac games companies.

And now the retail version of CM falls to "copy protection" when every other Mac title on the market has NO copy protection beyond needing to have the CD in the drive. :rolleyes:

Gyrene