July 1940 - Panzers gone Weald

Mid-July 1940. After a short, sharp air campaign, the Wehrmacht lands near Dover and Hythe. A massive battle develops in the south-east of Britain. The fate of Europe is being decided in the 'Garden of England'. Now you have a chance to kick some Nazi-invader butt, or chase the Homeguard over Horsham hill.

CMAK Sealion Conversion is a snappily named conversion project that includes mods and scenarios to set you smack into the middle of the German campaign to subdue Britain in England.

More information:

CMAK - Sealion Conversion is a project brought to you by Der Kessel and CMAMC™, the Combat Mission Amazing Modders Community. Without the help of Gordon Molek, AndrewTF, Juju, and junk2Drive, this would not have been possible.

FAQ:

a) So what do you get?

1) CMMOS ruleset and MCMMM mod manager packs to allow for easy conversion.

2) Scenarios/small ops

3) Information about the plans for Sealion, and how to make scenarios that are as historically correct as CMAK allows us to

4) The joy of blowing up south-east England.

B) So why did we do it?

Well, first see point 4) above. Secondly, I will leave the UK soon to go to Paris, and I think this was a good farewell present, so I rounded up a few modders and convinced them to follow me on this hare-brained scheme.

c) Who else contributed?

A good number of people did. BFC's Fernando helped Gordon a lot with info on BMPs, AndrewTF and Marco did give their consent for their mods to be converted to Sealion, and BFC's CMBB stock graphics underlie the periodisation (is that a word?) of guns/vehicles, etc. in the conversion.

Scenarios have been created by me, and Helge 'Desertfox'. These can naturally be played without installing any mods. Scenarios have been tested by the Der Kessel crew, Richard Goff, Richard Morgan, JonS, Michael Dorosh, Joachim Gaschler, Mark McShane, and others.

Holien's house appears by kind permission of Holien (although his wifey says she is not happy about it being blown up many times now, after all the refurbishing they did), and the hard and talented work of Juju, based on a photograph taken by me.

d) So where can you download it?

You can't, at this time. It will be released 'When it's ready.'™. Currently that is expected for sometime in September, but because this is a volunteer effort, there is no guarantee.

e) This is so cool, it makes me want to flip and kick Ironside in the face. I need to know more!

Post questions here.

f) Boring - where is the promised Barbie & Ken conversion?

Don't post questions here.

The teasing starts now:

Our correspondent has submitted some pictures, taken under risk to his life, from the battlefield.

Morning, 14th July 1940

German paratroopers landed by glider assemble

para.jpg

The HQ of C Sqdn 3 RTR, receiving its orders for CROMWELL alert.

csqdnhq.jpg

1st (London) Brigade HQ, near Hythe

holien.jpg

15 July, the German forces have established a secure bridgehead, 88s guarding the line against Matildas

ambush1.jpg

15 July - No.5 Troop 3 RTR moving up to counter-attack

no5troop.jpg

15 July - 19 Field Regiment RA changing position, on the road to Sandgate

convoy2.jpg

Evening 15 July - British armour guards the exit from the beachhead

watching4.jpg

16 July - German AFVs have landed at Folkestone

watching3.jpg

This project involves a lot of use of existing mods, and BFC stock graphics. I will publish a list of the mods later, all of them hunted down by Junk2Drive, who clearly has more energy then I ever will.

Not all the screenies are of the latest version, and this is a WIP. I will add more screenies at a later date.

Edit: 'thanks' to Gordon Molek for the suggestion to change the thread title.

[ August 09, 2004, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 July - German armoured patrols feel their way forward

psws.jpg

16 July - British AT is brought into position

atpsn.jpg

16 July - German Panzers attempt the breakout

kaboom.jpg

16 July - as the skies darken, the battle is turning against the Germans

Waltzing.jpg

run.jpg

Losses are heavy on both sides

cruiserboom.jpg

batteryend.jpg

It is unclear what the next days will bring.

[ August 07, 2004, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

How did you get around the absence of early war 37mm PzIIIs? I found PzIIIGs with HE ammo only come closest.

I'm not Andreas (it makes me feel good saying that), but weren't 37mm PzIII's in the 1.0 version and were then taken out from the unit lists when it was pointed that they were never used in North Africa. However, scenarios made in 1.0 work in 1.01 and the equipment remains as well.

Originally posted by Juju:

Heh, and there I was, telling everybody I'd never do a building again. ;)

Patboy, the cottage is new. There's another one too that's even lovelier. But you'll have to wait for them. Work in progress, you know.

Hi JuJu, Thanks for the quick reply, I'm waiting

for your buldings Mods now ; I'm working on new buildings for Normandy scenario but before upload to CMMODs I must ask permission to Nils "Eichenbaum's" because I've used some parts of his OSF Mods to buid another House ; I think Nils is always in vacation at this time. Pat.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

How did you get around the absence of early war 37mm PzIIIs? I found PzIIIGs with HE ammo only come closest.

I'm not Andreas (it makes me feel good saying that), but weren't 37mm PzIII's in the 1.0 version and were then taken out from the unit lists when it was pointed that they were never used in North Africa. However, scenarios made in 1.0 work in 1.01 and the equipment remains as well. </font>

Andreas, hi,

Congratulations… is does all look incredibly good…great stuff.

The screen shots do look like the southern England. Astounding.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. As I always say “Andreas knows everyone… no exaggeration ….everyone.” The way you have managed to round up such a hugely talented support crew proves the point conclusively:)

Hmmm...only comment from the uniform grog peanut gallery is the anachronistic 1944 era division markings on the battledress. In 1940, the only insignia worn aside from rank insignia was a cloth slip on over the shoulder straps showing the name of the unit in black or buff thread.

slipalh.jpg

(For example)

EDIT - and of course the unfortunately hardcoded M43 caps on the panzer commanders but you can't have everything!

Andrew may need to put pink piping on those panzer jackets if they don't have them already, though... ;)

No Stugs, unfortunately, also no 38(t), 35(t), or anything that is not currently in CMAK.

Sergei is right about the workaround. Create the scenario in 1.0, buy Panzer IIIF, save it, open it in 1.1, hey presto, the tanks are still there.

Michael - the other problem is the British helmet, I believe, which is a hardcoded 1944 version. Not the soup-plate. If you care to turn that shoulder patch into a moddable piece, I should be most obliged smile.gif

Interesting! I recall reading a very engaging and authentic long short story by C.S. Forester of "Hornblower" fame) called "If Hitler Had Invaded England", which posits a German landing at Rye.

The tale had some very interesting moments, including the assassination of Rommel by an elderly Boer War pensioner and the Lidice treatment being meted out to an English village in reprisal.

Andreas,

Most interesting! OPERATION SEALION by Richard Cox, which is the novelization of wargaming of Sealion by many of the period commanders back in the '70s, may be useful. Also, is there any way to lose the muzzle brakes on the 25 pdrs? From what I recall, they came several years later. Who is handling the SIPPs, Northover Projectors, Blacker Bombards and Bates Bottle Throwers, not to mention the Panzer IIIs with deep wading kits? If your scenario is predicated on Dunkirk's having occurred

already and historically, then rarity for 2 pdr. ATGs, tanks and artillery should be high, since almost none of these weapons made it back from France. This is probably true for practically everything bigger than a Bren.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ August 07, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Anything that is hard-coded will (can?) not be changed by this conversion. Any vehicles or equipment that never appeared in CMAK will not appear in this conversion.

Thanks for the pointer to Cox John. I have the book, but don't think much of it. Here is my book review on it from the Axishistory site. I based all this on an idea from the marginally better 'Invasion' by Kenneth Macksey.

Here is a much better write-up of the wargame.

Paul - Grossdeutschland was a Heer formation. One scenario with them will be included. I email it to you.