Worst of the Worst in the Second World War

I thought it might be interesting to hear from other board members about who they think were the worst -- in tactical or other terms -- in their respective fields in the Second World War.

Any service -- infantry, air force, navy, heck, even propaganda -- is open. Any nation too, whether it is from the major powers or the minor.

I thought the exploits of some of those who slunk tail-beneath-bollocks below their comrades, allies, and enemies in how they practised their craft would make for some good reading.

And since I suggested it:

Dutch SS

Originally posted by Martyr:

I thought it might be interesting to hear from other board members about who they think were the worst -- in tactical or other terms -- in their respective fields in the Second World War.

Any service -- infantry, air force, navy, heck, even propaganda -- is open. Any nation too, whether it is from the major powers or the minor.

I thought the exploits of some of those who slunk tail-beneath-bollocks below their comrades, allies, and enemies in how they practised their craft would make for some good reading.

And since I suggested it:

Dutch SS

Fredenhall

Dutch SS?

That would certainly not include those serving with Wiking. The Russians considered Wiking to be the Best German Division on the Russian Front. And Wiking was full of Dutch SS.

You must have a particular unit in mind other than the Dutch SS as a whole.

Panther Commander

I seem to recall having once read part of a transcript of a late-war meeting between Hitler and some of his generals during which there was a discussion about the Indian SS unit stationed near Bordeau. Hitler apparently regretted having armed them because he considered it a waste of good (and increasingly scarce) equipment. Although it was probably just racism on his part, that unit doesn't seem to have been particularly distinguished compared to its Commonwealth counterparts (or even the INA, if memory serves), so I suppose this counts as a nomination for this category.

General Douglas Macarthur, who kept his B-17s parked in neat rows hours after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He squandered the United States' single strategic asset in the Pacific in the first hours of the war. Well done!

The German commander on "The Rat Patrol". He captured various patrol members repeatedly, but they always escaped; he sent wave after wave of armor after them; he lost dozens of infantry to them every week; and somehow he stayed in command? If he couldn't defeat 2 jeeps with his unlimited resources, what chance did Germany have to win the war? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dave H:

The German commander on "The Rat Patrol". He captured various patrol members repeatedly, but they always escaped; he sent wave after wave of armor after them; he lost dozens of infantry to them every week; and somehow he stayed in command? If he couldn't defeat 2 jeeps with his unlimited resources, what chance did Germany have to win the war? :rolleyes:

What do you expect from a soap opera actor?

The Wehrmacht Katering Korps:

"Ach nein Hans, we are having sausages AGAIN!"

The famous German treatise on armoured warfare was originally titled "Achtung Wurst". By all accounts irritable bowel syndrome caused more casualties than the entire allied bombing campaign...

Many good suggestions above, but we shouldn't omit the great, or at least extraordinarily ample, Herman Goering...my candidate for "Worst Air Force Commander" among all the major combatants.

Among fictional TV candidates, how about Capt. Stephen Peacock, really a corporal in the catering corps. My understanding is that he was sent to study Bulgarian field kitchens but failed to accumulate any useful knowledge because he was too busy preening and making off color remarks to the female kitchen staff.

The Bolten-Paul Defiant. A turreted single engine DAY-fighter? With no forward firing guns.

Was successful once.

Goering of course stands out, so to speak.

Apparently, in '43, stung by criticism, He decided to personally intercept an 8th AF mission. They somehow shoehorned him into a 109 & off he went followed by a geschwader. Other units formed up with him until it was an huge cloud of Luftwaffe day-fighters. Unfortunately the gaggle was so big it was interpreted by Luftwaffe sound detection units as an 8th AF bomber formation (this was around the Bavaria-Austria Area). So more fighter units were vectored in only to joint the already immense formation, etc. The bombers got thru unintercepted, & Goering just intercepted himself.

Also there was some Italian General on the Greek Front who spent most of his time composing elaborate musical scores to imaginary films, forgot his name.

Adm. Gormley in The Pacific who abandoned the Marines on Guadalcanal.