Your favorite WWII Tank and why..

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two of them.

Panther. Surprise? Guess not. Its her whole apperance of being so...full of purpouse. But actually she is a primadonna. Whining and moaning all the time, working only after some serious persuasion, and even then only at double wages and never for very long. After that she's back at the striking and complaining again. Oui oui, je suis une Rockstar.

StuG. The opposite of the Panther. Rugged, robust, reliable, not very anything but always around. The image of the workhorse, or mule rather, its even mis-shaped and unproportional. One cannot help but liking it.

The Sherman looks the image of the American handyman. Full of extras and just-in-case and this-might-be-good-to-bring-alongs, its kind of bubbly appearance and stubby nose gives it a lively appearance. "Top of the mornin to you, you had a problem with the plumming?" The Sherman is lovable.

And there is the Cromwell, the image of an East-side cockney cocks-of-the-walk. Fast, slick (all rubber) and never to be trusted, yet lovable and charming, growing on you in a strange and not always pleasant way. It'll shy away from confrontation but always reappear where you least expect it. "Cauuuse you wan' i', i's a deal, i's a steal..." Though I prefer having them someplace else than I am, I still like them.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Well I'd have to agree she looks sort of boxy, the Cromwell, but I feel the extreme forward position of the tower and the general box-carish hull gives her that crafty, obnoxious yet boyish cockney quality smile.gif

Think 'slick' as in Jason Statham, model Snatch or Lock Stock. :cool:

I have a soft spot for the Churchill too. It looks just like a tank should look:

A big, heavy armoured box for killing people. Nothing sleek just function. It's WW I like appearnce adds to the charm.

Panther is the opposite and I like it for that reason. Sleek and radiating a lethal purpose it is well named indeed.

Hunting Panther. Technically not a tank as it does not have a revolving turret for it's main armament. The long 88 can take on all comer's and if you are unfortunate enough to be greeted frontally by it you are in real trouble. I also like the Elephant and the Stug IV.

For the Allies, the Firefly and the Easy-eight Sherman.

Originally posted by Wisbech_lad:

My new favourite is the Italian L47 "Tank Destroyer".

Isn't that one powered by the same engine as the cars in "The Flintstones"? The commander's feet hang underneath. Bug or realistic?

I suppose my favorite has always been the Panther G, for reasons similar to what Dandelion said. It performs very well, but more importantly is engineered to look good pulling up to the club.

The Hetzer can be alot of fun under the right circumstances. Pesky buggers.

Whenever I get a Tiger though with my attack mission, you know when the other side sees that vehicle crest a hill or come around some bend its going to send some shivers. Such a unique shape and movement style.

Can't wait to try the M3 Grant in CMAK. Caused quite a stir with the Germans when suddenly the allies had something that could answer back to their Pazer IV's.

Bah those russian 85s just aren't as good as the german 88s though. And (when I'm using them) they are always hellishly inaccurate.

Apart from the firefly I'm quite partial to a nice StuG or hetzer though. Except my last hetzer got its gun blown off by a 6pdr (that pissed me off)

I second the Jagdpanther nomination. She's sleek, with a slight wedge slope. The TR7 of panzers. She's got muscle, too.

But my heart goes to the plain Jane M4A1. She lands at Omaha and trundles all the way to Magdeburg. She looks like Hell, she's got a slight limp, but she's there when the boys need her.

I really like the Hellcat. Can't wait to use the shoot'n'scoot command with it.

I guess this is what this damn fast vehicle is made for?

As for the early years I like the PzKfw 38(t). The rugged and roboust design makes it similar to the later build M3/M5 series.

[ July 02, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Da Beginna ]

Originally posted by Beta1:

Apart from the firefly I'm quite partial to a nice StuG or hetzer though. Except my last hetzer got its gun blown off by a 6pdr (that pissed me off)

tongue.gif For what its worth, You've converted me to Hetzer fandom. The front armor slope is sooo nice.

I still like the Comet best. No particular reason.

i have been a german-side player for the last 1 year, my favorite afv German side has to be:

- Hetzer coz it is good value for money (ie. Cheap), it shoots first, 75mm gun is decent though not fantastic. I usually use Hetzers in pairs, or in groups of Threes. I tend to pack them very tightly (go down to level 1 view) and move them as a single 3 cannon entity. Probably gamey but very deadly.

- Big cats when I afford them, but tigers tend to have slow turret speed, panthers are nice but somehow vulnerable to flank shots. King Tigers are very nice but oh so expensive, too risky for a 300 pointer to get bogged down or worse get gun damage.

In the last 6 months, I have been playing mainly Allied forces, I find it refreshing, my no.1 & 2 tanks are:

- M10 & Wolferine. Like the hetzer except it has an open turret but still suffers from motar attacks.

- Stuart Tanks. Cheap, dependable, and the 37mm gun feels more like a 75mm. And the ammo count is fantastic.

- Sherman-class tanks, i tend to avoid it coz of the higher profile makes it a walking bullseye.

Originally posted by MDA:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Beta1:

tongue.gif For what its worth, You've converted me to Hetzer fandom. The front armor slope is sooo nice.

I still like the Comet best. No particular reason. </font>