Your favorite WWII Tank and why..

CMBO: the Challenger, because a few times I had people wondering how that Comet knocked out their Tiger...

CMBB: KV1 early in the war. It looks like a battleship, is invulnerable and gets the job done. Later in the war the ISU-152. The philosophy behind it is the same as that behind the Kill-o-Zap. You know exactly which end is the wrong one to be on.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARCHER!! without a doubt! everytime I think of this tank killer I smile. The concept of mounting the gun rearward so you can let fly with a shot, tap the driver on the shoulder, and run off like a giggling schoolboy who's just nicked an apple off the stall, appeals to my sense of humour.

Somebody says they like the StuG? The StuG? :mad:

I used to like the StuG - until last night. I was in a 500 point QB with a StuG against 3 HT's and a Priest. The StuG drove back and forth, back and forth, pivoted, aimed, reversed, turned, crested, hid, and eventually died. This in a span of about 15 turns. StuG kills - 0. HT kills - all my men.

The memory of this is still quite painful, but I will attempt to elaborate on two of the many insanities of the StuG.

1. StuG behind building A 125 m from building B with Priest about to stick his nose out. Order - peek around the building. Result. StuG peeks around the corner, and then decides to go swap some Schnapps with the enemy. He takes off and pulls within 5 m of the enemy occupied building B, the entire time getting shot at by, not 1, but 3 equally inept bazookas. When he gets to the building, he doesn't fire. No, that would make too much sense. He turns broadside in order to face nothing. When the orders phase came back up, he was going to reverse around Building B about 5 m in front of the priest. :confused: :confused: So I move those reverse waypoints as far as I can back towards building A, which is only about half way, and add another that will put him back where he started. Of course with 3 zooks and a priest at +/- 50 yards there is no way he can move half way into the open, pause for a few seconds, and then continue the journey. But, believe it or not, he did.

2. After this, I decide I better try my luck on the other side of the map, where a nasty HT was cutting down my men. At the same time I turn around the HT drives right past me - in the open- into the rear of my position to kill all of my soft units. So what does my brilliant StuG captain do? Nothing. :mad: He had line of sight on him (I saw the line), but let him go. But maybe he was more concerned about the zook hiding in the building in front of him (who had to be drunk to miss that many shots at 50 -75 m). So next turn I order the StuG to blast the HT. What does he do? Nothing again. This time he doesn’t even shoot at the zook. No, he just sits there, motionless, and does nothing the entire turn. :mad: I am not making this up. Meanwhile, all of my soft units are now dead, since the HT is still blasting them at close range with a 50 cal.

I have more examples from this same StuG, but I cant bear to explain it. :eek:

Needless to say, he died in a most humiliating manner, but anything else would have been out of character for this guy.

I wont be buying a Stug anytime soon - not with the goal of killing anything faster than a turtle.

ps. This made me wonder if BFC modeled idiocy into some of the units. But upon further review, why would they need to when they have people like me playing.

[ July 04, 2003, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Dodge ]

Andreas

Thanks for the head's up on Epsom - I'm going to give this a try this weekend with a mate. He's new to the game so I'll let him defend with the Allies as it sounds like the battle is a challenge for the attacker.

I'll be on the receiving end of the Archers... more's the pity.

Originally posted by Cpl Dodge:

Somebody says they like the StuG? The StuG? :mad:

I used to like the StuG - until last night. I was in a 500 point QB with a StuG against 3 HT's and a Priest. The StuG drove back and forth, back and forth, pivoted, aimed, reversed, turned, crested, hid, and eventually died. This in a span of about 15 turns. StuG kills - 0. HT kills - all my men.

The memory of this is still quite painful, but I will attempt to elaborate on two of the many insanities of the StuG.

1. StuG behind building A 125 m from building B with Priest about to stick his nose out. Order - peek around the building. Result. StuG peeks around the corner, and then decides to go swap some Schnapps with the enemy. He takes off and pulls within 5 m of the enemy occupied building B, the entire time getting shot at by, not 1, but 3 equally inept bazookas. When he gets to the building, he doesn't fire. No, that would make too much sense. He turns broadside in order to face nothing. When the orders phase came back up, he was going to reverse around Building B about 5 m in front of the priest. :confused: :confused: So I move those reverse waypoints as far as I can back towards building A, which is only about half way, and add another that will put him back where he started. Of course with 3 zooks and a priest at +/- 50 yards there is no way he can move half way into the open, pause for a few seconds, and then continue the journey. But, believe it or not, he did.

2. After this, I decide I better try my luck on the other side of the map, where a nasty HT was cutting down my men. At the same time I turn around the HT drives right past me - in the open- into the rear of my position to kill all of my soft units. So what does my brilliant StuG captain do? Nothing. :mad: He had line of sight on him (I saw the line), but let him go. But maybe he was more concerned about the zook hiding in the building in front of him (who had to be drunk to miss that many shots at 50 -75 m). So next turn I order the StuG to blast the HT. What does he do? Nothing again. This time he doesn’t even shoot at the zook. No, he just sits there, motionless, and does nothing the entire turn. :mad: I am not making this up. Meanwhile, all of my soft units are now dead, since the HT is still blasting them at close range with a 50 cal.

I have more examples from this same StuG, but I cant bear to explain it. :eek:

Needless to say, he died in a most humiliating manner, but anything else would have been out of character for this guy.

I wont be buying a Stug anytime soon - not with the goal of killing anything faster than a turtle.

ps. This made me wonder if BFC modeled idiocy into some of the units. But upon further review, why would they need to when they have people like me playing.

Take the StuGs for a spin in CM:BB. They are one of my favourite units in that. Hard to spot, well-armed and cheap. That said, a StuG in a town against fast-moving halftraks and bazooka units is about as far from an ideal location for a StuG as you can get. Try it in CM:BB in an open-country game.

CM:BO - I have to go with the little Hetzer. It's cute as a bug and has a lot better survival rate on the west front. Then again, that H39 is just so lovable too. :D

CM:BB - ISU-122. Tames most Uber-Kitties and knocks buildings flat. Also, I always like the look of the late model BT-7s. It's much more pleasing to the eye than the T-26.

As i tried to imply at the end of my post, i am sure the porblem was ultimately mine. I was trying to use it as a tank, which it isnt. Still, I cant for the life of me figure out why that StuG decided to go driving around in the open. The only thing that seems possible is that instead of rotate ('o') I hit the hunt ('u') command. But i am not color blind, and can generally tell the difference between purple and light green (i keep all move paths showing). Maybe CM models temporary insanity.

My favorite WWII tank would have to be the humble little Stuart. If your tactics call for a fast-moving, fast firing, little ball 'o fire then this is your tank. It's cheap and its just custom made for running and gunning. Send this little dynamo scootin' up the enemy's flank and watch while it's three machine guns fire wildly at cowering troops and it whips it's turret from target to target popping enerything that moves. Man, I love these guys. In the time it takes most Axis armor to draw a bead and fire off a single round the Stuart will have already fired three times with as many hits. Add to all this an ammo supply that never seems to end and you have the best tank in the game. Period. Just don't get within LOS of any AA guns.

HI,

For me it would have to be the dependable superadaptable old PzIV although the Tiger and Panthers get the all the glory the PzIV was the real workhorse of the Panzer Divisions and there's a school of thought which suggests if the Germans had concentrated their production on the MkIV Instead of all the other costly and time consuming designs they would have fared better.As Stalin said on the subject of German Quality over Soviet Quantity "Quantity has its own Quality".Oh! also the amazing Stug Overworked and overlooked. smile.gif