Your favorite WWII Tank and why..

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Cybeq:

My favorite WWII tank would have to be the humble little Stuart. ...

I realize the Stuart has its advocates,and maybe is just my tactical shortcomings showing--I'm just not a run and gun type of guy, and if I were, it seems to me that most of the opponents I've played would eat me for breakfast--but I must say that I've never quite understood the Stuart's appeal. Part of the problem is that, as far as I can see, in CMBO it is overpriced, at 96 points. An M4A1 Sherman costs 115 points, and for those 19 extra points you get a real medium tank instead of an obsolecent light tank: better armor, a 75 mm gun, etc. If you want a fast, mobile tank killer, then there's the Hellcat, also at 115 points, or for a big, tank killing gun you've got the Jackson at 117 points. Late in the war, there's the Chaffee, a better armored tank with a 75mm for just 4 more points than the Stuart.

If the Stuart cost 75 points, I could understand buying it, but in the post-DDay environment, it seems to me too expensive, too lightly armored and too undergunned to be a serious option. Here's another way to think of it: for 475 points you can have five Stuarts. But for 460 points you can have four M4A1s or four Hellcats, or two of each. For 468 points you can have four Jacksons. I'm much rather have four of any of those babies than five Stuarts, both as AT weapons and against infantry. And for 468 points you can have 8 M-8s. Again, i'd rather have those than 5 Stuarts, any day.

My favorite tanks of WWII, by nation:

Germans: Panther

USA: Sherman Easy -8 (not enough Pershings for that to be a real option; and the E8 is overpriced in CMBO, so I'm thinking of an ideal world here)

Britain: Sherman Firefly

USSR: T-34/85

[ July 22, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Not yet mentioned is my favorite - The Hummel. It's not really a tank, but what a great weapon to destroy buildings where enemy is lurking.

150mm gun with a 200 blast, just hide it and go on a demolition frenzy, buildings turn to rubble in just a few shots from this beast - great fun, very effective and I don't think it's too gamey.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Ooh!, the Brummbar is better - more ammo, better armour etc.

Or the Churchill AVRE

I guess I don't really care about speed, only massive firepower and thick armor. Therefore the Brummbar and Konigstiger are my all time favorites. I like T-34s and Shermans too, but mostly to test massive firepower on :D

Allies: As many have said, Churchill because it really does look like a tank should, (in my opinion). It's big bulky and got good armour. However, do have a odd soft spot for the Comwell.

Axis: Obvious I know but the Panther, just an all round damn good tank.

Regards

Tom

• 2 months later...

The best looking looking tank is the King Tiger to me. It's massive, perfectly shaped and it looks ahead of its time. But its price, speed and ability to bog down all the time turn me off.

I choose the Tiger because it is much more cost effective and its "invulnerability" seems less deceiving. You can send them right in the heat of battle without worrying about a "knocked out" message to appear. Most of the time, the only reason why my Tigers stop fighting is because they run out of ammunition.

[ November 07, 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Omi ]

For me, I like to go in pairs

A jagdepanther or two, with excellent speed(29mph),Impervious frontal armour, and an 88mm gun that will take out any tank (including those goddamn 152mm armoured churchills!

Also following the Jagdepanthers behind closely are hummels to *ahem* HUMMEL the infantry, Heh!

Also throw in a couple of stuh's for close range work

So, Jagdepanthers up front (pref working in pairs) to mop up allied armour,Heh!

Hummels to Rout the infantry long range & stuhs for mopping up infantry close range

Occasional high caliber deflections are gravy. The main thing you want from armor is just to limit the threat from piddly guns, items worth only a small fraction of your own AFV. That is the problem with the Hellcat, for instance. But the Jackson is thick enough it takes a real AFV or a serious PAK to kill it from the front. And in turn it can kill those, if it shoots first. Which it often does, being so quick...

My favorite has got to be the Panther. It is the best overall tank of them all I think. It's 75mm gun can hit harder than a Tiger's. It has good mobility for its size, It's armor in the front is strong, and most important it looks bad ass. (By the way I skimmed through the license agreement. Am I not supposed to put "ass"?)

[ November 24, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Carl Brashear ]

• 7 months later...