How Do You Play?

Best way to get inaccurate results in a sample is to ask an incomplete set of questions posed with unexplained obscure abbreviations that only a few will understand. You're going to get badly skewed results.

And no one plays in one single way, so you probably need a percentage spread.

A bit of redesign may be in order.

hpq 90%

hps 5%

htq 5%

About 50 + per year

Some people play more than others anyway. At BoB in 2oo4 out slightly over 1000 games of CMAK 3 playes accounted for 20% of all games. The top ten most active players accounted for between 40-50% of all games.

"8 players played 30-49 games, 15 players played 20-29 games, 49 players played 10-19 games,

76 players played 3-9 games, 30 played two games and 33 just one"

{The top 3 players are above 50}[Approx 300 players in BoB]

There are figures for CMBO and CMBB also. The reason for quoting is simply that what people play in this survey may not necessarily be what the commonest game type by number is. How many games people play a year would be interesting ....

Originally posted by legend42:

I dont see how this is hard to understand and/or inaccurate.

Well, that's a relief. Otherwise no one would have a fecking clue.

Im not a brain surgeon.

I guess it's still safe to schedule neurosurgery in Pennsylvania, then, eh?

Its not perfect and its not going to be super accurate, and considering the way it started it probably wont get completed.

Rather like Life, then. Except with worse punctuation, typing, and even more incomprehensible.

I'll take 'vs human pbem qb hpq' for 100, Brian. In a previous incarnation, I was a cryptographer!

The best way to play is hotseat against yourself. Once you condition yourself to constantly question the motives for your orders, thereby insuring you aren't reacting to what you know from playing the other side, you can have some really great games. Skipping a day between orders phases for each side really helps with this. You tend to forget what you did with the other side. Solitaire hotseat is the best and fastest way to playtest scenarios IMO. It's also the best way to come to a thorough understanding of EFOW. What does the enemy see, and when does he see it? The solitaire hotseater knows these things. smile.gif

Having said that, I do 90% PBEM of scenarios, 10% hotseat against myself.

Mikeman out.

I play generally uncompleted games PBEM. I will eventually hunt down and kill all those who jilted me. iehdakatwjm for short, if you prefer. :mad: I only hope I kill them before the PBEMs I have bailed on get me killed in return.

Perhaps, however, my opponents only feel it is worth a good maiming. We should have a poll about that.

How badly do you care when your PBEM is never finished?

I can be maimed and still continue to kill people, incidentally, so bring it on.

Grog Dorosh,

I quit caring about people abandoning PBEM games after I did it myself. There's no excuse for it though. No matter how tough life gets, there's always time to dash off an email to your opponents. Hehe...if somebody quits on me now, I just call it Total Victory, and imagine him smashing his computer after watching the last movie. It's been my experience that games are usually abandoned by opponents when I'm winning.

I haven't abandoned a PBEM in years now. I make sure I keep up a decent turnaround rate too, ESPECIALLY when I am losing. I really admire a guy who keeps cranking out the turns when he's taking a severe beating.

Treeburst155 out.