**** ROW IV (part 5) ***

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm busy that week; can we change that start date tongue.gif

Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ted:

Is there any thought to starting a RoW V ?

Yes, and I quickly drown it out with alcohol and pain killers.

Seriously, signups for ROW V will begin sometime around the first week of </font>

Kingfish,

Looks as though you're a Sun Tzu adherent. Paraphrasing him I find:

"Supreme excellence in wargaming lies in winning the tournament without having to reach, let alone win, the Finals."

Too funny!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

May we expect a similar bombshell regarding the best AAR competition, or does Ankulin get to keep his laurels and his subscription?!

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Kingfish,

May we expect a similar bombshell regarding the best AAR competition, or does Ankulin get to keep his laurels and his subscription?!

Sore subject the Canadian postal service has not given him it yet.

:(

However, Florida postal service came up trumps and gave KF his copy even though it was ordered some time after Ankulin.

I am expecting some Norwegian scenarios from KF as the latest copy is purely the Norwegian invasion then and now. Some great pictures of French Tanks stuck on the beaches.

Plenty of scenario ideas for German paras surrounded on remote Norwegian airfields.

;)

H

He said give it a week and then let him know if it doesn't arrive. Apparently overseas mailing turnarounds can be somewhat variable or so I was told.

However, in the past 12 months, I have had to request 4 replacement copies among 4 monthly subscriptions I receive by mail (so ~8%). This seems ridicuosly high and so I wonder if someone in the postal service is "misplacing" them. (1 Armchair General, 1 Maximum PC and 2 PC Gamers - Doom 3 issue and now the Half Life 2 issue - hmm...)

Would you believe that I've just sent an orders file in Point of Honour for turn 37 of 50? As you can see it's turned out to be a monster but I can't take all the blame as my opponent has had his greater share of problems with turn-around times than myself! (if one can believe that).

@ H

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the cut & thrust of Wolf where all I had left at the end in terms of mobile forces was 1 veteran Valentine out of AP ammo, 1 green Valentine with ammo but no idea how to use it & 2 CS Valentines with pretty much no ability to hurt the enemy except fire smoke at him. Mind you, my opponent only had 3 working Pz III's, two of which had lost their commanders plus assorted halftracks to fill out the ranks at the end. Great fun!

Regards

Jim R.

• 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this thread in the hope that Nestor reads this so I can report to him that my next file for Point of Honour could be delayed as I've just had a power supply blow up on my computer and it could take a few days to get it fixed. I'm only able to leave details on internet sites via this crappy backup computer as I don't have his email address handy except on my non functioning computer. If someone else happens to know Nestors email address then if they could drop him a line & direct him to this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

:(

Regards

Jim R.

• 2 weeks later...

Final report for ROW IV!!!

I can now advise that the end score for Proof of Honour against Nestor was as follows:

Axis (me) 70% vs Allies (Nestor) 30% Axis Tactical Victory

I noticed Walpurgis Nachts previous comment about this scenario in his brief synopsis of his game where he whupped his opponent though adopting a manouevre strategy. The quote was

Honor *** (Axis)

When I saw this map/setup/conditions I was completely annoyed. No chance for Axis on this one against a solid attacker. Give me the Allies, take away all of my armor, and I’d still run the Axis off the map.

Personally I would liked to have taken him on as the Axis on this basis as I felt my static defence held up well against the Allied forces and without their armour support I would reckon my chances would be good.

BTW, Kingfish...would you mind doing a total recalculation of all the stats now that all the results are in?

;)

Regards

Jim R.

Jim,

I can't recalculate all the stats because I do not have your score for "Wolf". I can tell you that you scored second highest as the axis player in "Proof".

Walpurgis Night 2.42

Kanonier Reichmann 1.81

Londoner 1.10

Ankulin 0.70

Steve McClaire 0.34

Heavy Drop -0.26

Bryce Baker -0.31

Tychus -0.41

Stoneage, Combined arms & Paul Atreides -0.57

Green as Jade, Elmar Biljsma -0.67

Levitacus -0.72

Melinibone -0.77

Enoch -0.87

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Final report for ROW IV!!!

I can now advise that the end score for Proof of Honour against Nestor was as follows:

Axis (me) 70% vs Allies (Nestor) 30% Axis Tactical Victory

I noticed Walpurgis Nachts previous comment about this scenario in his brief synopsis of his game where he whupped his opponent though adopting a manouevre strategy. The quote was

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Honor *** (Axis)

When I saw this map/setup/conditions I was completely annoyed. No chance for Axis on this one against a solid attacker. Give me the Allies, take away all of my armor, and I’d still run the Axis off the map.

Personally I would liked to have taken him on as the Axis on this basis as I felt my static defence held up well against the Allied forces and without their armour support I would reckon my chances would be good.

BTW, Kingfish...would you mind doing a total recalculation of all the stats now that all the results are in?

;)

Regards

Jim R. </font>

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Yes you do Sergio. Refer to the top posting on this page where I reported a result of 59% (me-Allies) to 41% (Dangerous Dave- Axis). smile.gif

BTW, I was kidding about the rework of the stats. I'm sure you have more important things to do.

Regards

Jim R.

Yes, that was the score. But I'll point out, that was a MINOR victory. tongue.gif

What a wild battle. I still have nightmares about my best armor stumbling into a patch of 25 pounders in the dust, getting blown up and not being able to see anything! It became a bit like Little Bighorn, though we both bled like Custer I think.

• 1 month later...

Even more final report for ROW IV!!!

Allies (Me)30% v Axis (Nestor)70%

The armour gap was to large for me to bridge. With them having cupolas and bow MGs driving my TCs down it was difficult enough to spot them first. Killing them was as difficult. Having penetrated one MKIII 7 times+2 partials you'd think it was that tank that died, not the Valentines that surrounded it on all sides. After that it was just a question of massing armour near my trenches for the automatic surrender of it's occupants. Atleast the 25pdrs gave him a bloody nose. And worthy of note was that most prisoners Nestor took got freed by AFVs fleeing the ever smaller defenses of mine. Too bad that my forces auto-surrendered after I sent the orders for the last turn with all my remaing units atleast 1 minute away from harm... I really thought I made it to the end. :(

Not the most fun I've ever had with CM.

• 3 years later...