HOW TO: Install 1.02 and keep 1.01 for PBEM compatibility

Before you install the 1.02 patch do the following:

1) Go to your CMBB folder (typically c:\program files\cmbb).

2) Look for a file called Barbarossa to Berlin.exe.

3) Right click on that file and choose RENAME.

4) Change the name of that file to Barbarossa to Berlin101.exe.

5) Right click on the Barbarossa to Berlin101.exe and chose SEND TO->DESKTOP.

6) Apply patch. You will have a 2nd shortcut on your desktop going to the 1.01 version for PBEM compatibility.

WWB

EDIT: Sorry, I wrote this from work where I have no CM to check filenames against.

EDIT II: Updated for 1.02.

[ February 12, 2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: wwb_99 ]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: I am majorly confused...there is no "Combat Mission.exe" in the CMBB folder. The program file is called "Barbarossa to Berlin.exe". Is this the one you mean? Do i change this to "Combat Mission 10.exe"?

Further confusion: i searched for "Combat Mission.exe" and got a bunch of files, the only one of which in the CMBB file is "Combat Mission BB Prefs". Is that it????

PLEASE clarify. TYVM! :confused:

Originally posted by MajorVictory:

:eek: I am majorly confused...there is no "Combat Mission.exe" in the CMBB folder. The program file is called "Barbarossa to Berlin.exe". Is this the one you mean? Do i change this to "Combat Mission 10.exe"?

Further confusion: i searched for "Combat Mission.exe" and got a bunch of files, the only one of which in the CMBB file is "Combat Mission BB Prefs". Is that it????

PLEASE clarify. TYVM! :confused:

The file you rename is the executable (Barbarossa to Berlin), if you do not, the patch will overwrite it with a new executable. The idea is that you end up with two executables in the folder, the one you renamed will start cmbb as version 1. The executable the patch puts in the cmbb folder(the new Barbarossa to Berlin) will start cmbb as version 1.01

Rookies!

That's exactly what we did with CMBO patches. Execution file (exe), will execute not matter what you name them, long as you maintain the .exe extension. Renaming it first prior to adding the patch, protects it from being overwritten by the patch thereby leaving you with two version of the CMBB .exe file. Create two individual shortcuts on your desktop, and you can run up either version at will. This is a great aid for converting your present PBEM's. Open them in the v1.0 version, save them out, run up the v1.01 version and reopen the saved game file and yer ready to go.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Sgtgoody:

Ok, good advice all around, but what happens if the players in a PBEM don't have the same version? I have several going and so far only one has told me their status.

You'll soon find out when you try to load a game created in an earlier version, you'll get an error message. You could also try asking them if if they've upgraded, I believe with Pengistas one grunt means 'yes' and two grunts means 'no' :D .