Which army would you fight with?

Umm, Erik, the Japanese army embarked on pretty much wholesale slaughter of prisoners and civilians. It was sort of the expected conduct of a Japanese soldier. As they believed surrender to be cowardly and dishonourable, they felt anyone else who surrendered did not deserve to live. Possibly oversimplifying it there, but you get the idea.

The German Army on the other hand, did not. Yes, the SS operated extermination squads on the eastern front, and also staffed the concentration camps, but the Waffen SS was NOT part of the Wehrmacht, and was more politically driven than the Wehrmacht, all SS members being required to be card-carrying Nazis.

Most (I know - not ALL) attrocities commited by the Germans during WWII can be traced back to the SS.

On the whole, the regular Wehrmacht units conducted themeselves no differently than the armies of other belligerent nations - all of whom, without exeption, did have to deal with acts of extreme nastiness commited by there own.

Just not on the same scale as the Japanese.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never claimed they were. My point was it was the Nazis and the Waffen SS, not the regular German army who wiped out 7 million and commited most of the really nasty acts.

And yes, I am aware of wehrmacht units shooting prisoners and various other horrid activities, many commited on the Eastern Front, but I also pointed out all sides had troops guilty of breaking the rules, such as there can be any in war.

On the other hand, the Japanese regular army were routinely involved in wholesale massacres.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Swiss army would be my choice.

Imagine the fear I could strike into Fritz's heart with my 93-bladed multi-purpose pocket knife. With a toothpick and everyfink!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ErikinWest:

Italians, Germans, Japs, Brits, or whatever. Which one you would you choose and why? Then which gun?

Me: Japanese because I love the army, weapons and style! Ill go with Type 99!

Cheers,

Erik

They also lost the war, murdered their prisoners, committed apalling atrocities against civilians in China and thoughout parts of Asia and Oceania, and were required to kill themselves rather than surrender. Not to mention losing every single land battle after June 1942.

Are you, like, retarded or something? </font>

Originally posted by ErikinWest:

Italians, Germans, Japs, Brits, or whatever. Which one you would you choose and why? Then which gun?

Cheers,

Erik

You are aware that your term "Japs" carries some negative connotations, right? Why single your favorite out for the slur? Why not just rephrase your sentence fragment like Archie Bunker would have as "Wops, Krauts, Japs, Limeys or whatever." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

As an aside, just an anecdote about stereotyping from my own experience. Back in the late 1970's I worked with a woman who was then in her fifties. We had a new employee come to work whose family had escaped from Red China to Hong Kong. This woman told everyone that she could tell he was not Japanese, because all Japanese wore thick glasses and had buck teeth. :eek: :rolleyes:

I would choose to be a 1945 Red Army Front commander.

My preferred weapon would be massed 300mm rocket strikes, followed by maybe 2-3 hours of conventional artillery strikes and topped off with several regiments of Sturmoviks. For dessert I would use six to eight divisions of T-34/85 and Stalin II, with Asian infantry riding on the engine decks.

Originally posted by Shmavis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Cheers,

Erik

They also lost the war, murdered their prisoners, committed apalling atrocities against civilians in China and thoughout parts of Asia and Oceania, and were required to kill themselves rather than surrender. Not to mention losing every single land battle after June 1942.

If I had to choose I'd choose the Swiss army. It doesn't make much of a difference what color piping you have on your tunic when you lose your leg below the knee to an anti-personnel mine. Even in the game, you sometimes can't help but be appalled by the sight of several hundred 'virtual' soldiers ending their lives in less than an hour while contesting an obscure plot of ground with a few shacks on it.

Originally posted by Tifosi:

Yes, the SS operated extermination squads on the eastern front, and also staffed the concentration camps, but the Waffen SS was NOT part of the Wehrmacht, and was more politically driven than the Wehrmacht, all SS members being required to be card-carrying Nazis.

The Waffen-SS was part of the Wehrmacht, but it was a seperate organisation from the Heer. The Waffen-SS was also generally seperate from the camp guards. And as the war progressed and casualties mounted the volunteer only policy of the Waffen-SS began to be diluted.

Originally posted by Sirocco:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tifosi:

Yes, the SS operated extermination squads on the eastern front, and also staffed the concentration camps, but the Waffen SS was NOT part of the Wehrmacht, and was more politically driven than the Wehrmacht, all SS members being required to be card-carrying Nazis.

The Waffen-SS was part of the Wehrmacht,. </font>

Originally posted by Patrick Brazil:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shmavis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Cheers,

Erik

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Patrick Brazil:

Me: German U-Boat crew, late in the war! :cool:

[start Michael Dorosh mode]

So you'd like to demolish passenger ships and machinegun the survivors? I bet you'd also like to sodomize baby seals! Admit it. ANSWER ME BITCH :mad:

[End Michael Dorosh mode]

:rolleyes: </font>

Originally posted by Tifosi:

No but the death squads et al who operated behind the lines were, IIRC waffen SS.

The four "Einsatzgruppen" who followed the advancing Eastern Frontline and killed Jews, political leaders and others were not Waffen-SS, they were a mixture of SD and unregistered bandits.

However, the Waffen-SS did commit a lot more atrocities than the Heer.

Furthermore there was a good degree of exchange between Waffen-SS and other SS. The "Death Head" 3rd SS division (later tank division) in particular was rotating personnel with concentration and annihilation camps permanently (the men preferred the Eastern Front service by far).

The "SS" as such was huge and absorbed a lot of organizations which are only remotely associated with Nazi activities. For example, since all police was made part of the SS eventually, even a traffic policeman was technically a member of the SS later in the war.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tifosi:

The Waffen-SS was part of the Wehrmacht,. </font>

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Patrick Brazil:

Me: German U-Boat crew, late in the war! :cool:

[start Michael Dorosh mode]

So you'd like to demolish passenger ships and machinegun the survivors? I bet you'd also like to sodomize baby seals! Admit it. ANSWER ME BITCH :mad:

[End Michael Dorosh mode]

:rolleyes: </font>