Which army would you fight with?

Originally posted by Sergei:

Not so at all, but it just is hard to imagine how one would be IN WW2 while serving in an army that is strictly out of it.

Or can I claim to have been in the Afghan civil war just because I was in FDF at that time?

Don't be a knob. If you were located in Afghanistan at the time, you could make that claim.

Since World War Two took place...ummmm...in THE WORLD I don't see that Swedish or Swiss troops couldn't necessarily make the claim. The Swiss military was active in detaining, for example, Allied and German aircrew who landed in the country (they were interned along with their aircraft). That's just one example. Not a combat role, of course, but I have a great uncle who was "in World War Two" despite never having left Canada. Come to that, both my parents were "in World War Two", though dad was born in 1939 and mom in 1943.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The Swiss military was active in detaining, for example, Allied and German aircrew who landed in the country (they were interned along with their aircraft).

Don't fetch too far, boy. They weren't IN the war, they were making sure they would stay OUT of it.

Since World War Two took place...ummmm...in THE WORLD I don't see that Swedish or Swiss troops couldn't necessarily make the claim.

Oh, so that's why it's called the "World War". Because it involves THE WORLD!!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't like to dis the Swedes, since they took to a certain degree care of our war orphans and sent supplies and volunteers, but apart from that, Sweden's participation in the war was rather meek to say the least.

And the Swiss? *snicker*

Originally posted by rommel42:

The first panther tanks deployed at Kursk were unreliable and dangerously flammable due to poor testing and inadequately armoured fuel tanks. I would choose something with better mobility and reliability: the Panzer IV

That was the point about nursing them. They were suffering from teething problems which, as I recall, weren't completely ironed out until late 1944. It would still have been a great experience to have commanded one of the first into battle.

plus if i could serve on any army it would have to be a tank crew. dunno which though probably choose

us. pershing

uk. comet/churchill (6 pounder and steal lots of tungsten)

Ger. panther most likely

russia. kv or js.

or alternatlivly i could just join the warmly on sea

home guard thet rock!!!!!!! Hey what about the home guard Versus the ewoks? that would be a good fight

...The Swiss military was active in detaining, for example, Allied and German aircrew who landed in the country (they were interned along with their aircraft). That's just one example....

Ths reminded me of a parts from 'Shot down and on the run' RAF and Commonwealth aircrews who got home from behind enemy lines.

"In International law there is a fundamental difference between an 'escaper' and an 'evader'. As an evader, an individual who reached a neutral country was interned, but as an escaper he was entitled to be repatriated. Hence all aircrew were told to declare that they were escapers, and they been in the hands of the enemy for a brief time before escaping. By keeping it simple, it was highly unlikely that the authorities would check the story - they rarely did."

It covers the far East and notes "that in the 7 months up to March 1945 a total of 176 aircrew were forced down over Japanese controlled territory in Burma or in the jungle, and 166 disappeared without a trace. Just 3 of the 10 to return evaded from Japanese territory."

Europe, apart from Germany was the best place to shot down over.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Not so at all, but it just is hard to imagine how one would be IN WW2 while serving in an army that is strictly out of it.

Or can I claim to have been in the Afghan civil war just because I was in FDF at that time?

Somebody has to intern those wayward fliers and escapees smile.gif .

Originally posted by Wicky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...The Swiss military was active in detaining, for example, Allied and German aircrew who landed in the country (they were interned along with their aircraft). That's just one example....

Ths reminded me of a parts from 'Shot down and on the run' RAF and Commonwealth aircrews who got home from behind enemy lines.

"In International law there is a fundamental difference between an 'escaper' and an 'evader'. As an evader, an individual who reached a neutral country was interned, but as an escaper he was entitled to be repatriated. Hence all aircrew were told to declare that they were escapers, and they been in the hands of the enemy for a brief time before escaping. By keeping it simple, it was highly unlikely that the authorities would check the story - they rarely did."

It covers the far East and notes "that in the 7 months up to March 1945 a total of 176 aircrew were forced down over Japanese controlled territory in Burma or in the jungle, and 166 disappeared without a trace. Just 3 of the 10 to return evaded from Japanese territory."

Europe, apart from Germany was the best place to shot down over. </font>

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ErikinWest:

Italians, Germans, Japs, Brits, or whatever. Which one you would you choose and why?

In WW2, I think there is much to recommend serving in the Swiss, Swedish, or maybe Irish army.</font>

OH!!! I see!! You like the tactic where they sit in a cave and wait to get immolated by a flamethrower or demolition charge.

Or perhaps, the suicidal Banzai charge is more to your liking?

You really must tell us which comic books you are reading.

Japanese "tactics" in most of the battles in the islands from 1943 on involved upwards of 90% of the Japanese defenders being killed stone cold dead.

There are a few ways for you to re-enact that experience, but I'll leave it to your imagination lest I be charged for abetting a criminal (suicide is illegal in most jurisdictions around the world).

John D. Salt has the right idea, no matter how much Sergei pretends not to understand his point. ;) [/QB]

Well I can tell someone really needs to calm down. Perhaps you do not understand. This is a forum, text, and a hypothetical question. Snap out of it man were not on a battlefield! Were not talking: "I support the killing of prisoners" I'm just saying I have always like the Japanese armies and half the point of it their weapons were crap so its fun to be the underdog.

I think I probably should have stated in my original post that this question is from more of a simulator/spectator perspective so I didn't release the rage of people who forgot to take their ADD medicine.

Cheers,

Erik

Originally posted by ErikinWest:

Well I can tell someone really needs to calm down. Perhaps you do not understand. This is a forum, text, and a hypothetical question. Snap out of it man were not on a battlefield! Were not talking: "I support the killing of prisoners" I'm just saying I have always like the Japanese armies and half the point of it their weapons were crap so its fun to be the underdog.

I think I probably should have stated in my original post that this question is from more of a simulator/spectator perspective so I didn't release the rage of people who forgot to take their ADD medicine.

Cheers,

Erik

Do you really think my responding to each of your posts really is indicative of an Attention Deficit? You appear to know as much about mental disorders as you do about military history...

No, you should repost your original statement and question so it doesn't make you look like a six year old adolescent. Your latest comments don't serve you very well, either.