Breaks my heart to see pirated copies of CMBB floating on the internet!

I starting playing the CM games a long time ago - over the years it became quite apparent the time, research and passion it took to create these games.

I logged onto the internet newsgroups tonight and I checked out [deleted] - every once in a while I find something I used to have on 3.5 inch of 5 1/4 inch floppy disk that I can't find any more (really, honestly). To my surprise, someone posted CMBB on the board. WHY? This game has a pretty mature audience and I'm pretty sure this audience understands the same thing I do - the guys at Battlefront don't work for a charity - and this game has limited circulation - they need all the cash they can get to keep food on the table so they can develop NEW and BETTER versions of the game.

So if the person who's posting the CMBB rip on the newgroups is reading this post, stop it - you're not doing anyone any favours around here and you definitely don't deserve to own or play the game.

jim.

[EDIT: Deleted newsgroup name - Moon]

[ September 19, 2003, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

What can be done?

30 years and a good flogging?

A Singaporean caning?

25 years of hard labour on a nuclear waste dump in northern Siberia?

Disable to part of the brain that is needed to understand 'lEEt' speak?

Re-education a la 'A clockwork orange'?

Decimisation, the Roman legion style?

It is all about incentives to stop pirating.

Originally posted by GJK:

Can you post Leisure suit Larry 1 to the newsgroup? I've been hunting all over for it.....

If you really are after this I might be able to help...

If you are not...

I shall get my coat....

and BTW it is a legit original.

I shall see where I put it.

H

P.s. I have quite a few other old games and I guess there must now be a market for them? A bit like my action men. Did you know how much people will pay for that stuff. I shall be flogging my old action men on E-bay soon.

Originally posted by General Brock:

Read the Dungeon Seige link.....LOL. Sorry to sound racist but only the Chinese would get pissed off that the designer would'nt sign the pirated copy of his game. In Asia piracy is so insanely rampet in all kinds of media that in North America it seems almost non existant by comparison.

Please, people. Right at the top of the article it says "Canada's Source for Humour and Satire".

Perhaps we shouldn't treat this as a news article?

I cannot agree in the case of CM.

One of CM's biggest problems is, that it's unknown.

It's a well known practice from companies, fighting officially against piracy, while tolerating it, due to certain reasons (i.e. Microsofts ridiculous copyprotection):

1. it helps spreading the product - compared to extremely expensive marketing it's even for free - especially for small unknown companies with unknown products

2. people using cracked complex and very good software, usually buy it after some time - if you're passionate wargamer, you want CM's manual.

3. people collecting cracked software, wouldn't buy the software anyway - having no cracked version, wouldn't force them to buy it

4. market segmentation - it's a misbelieve, that a copy protectin scheme is successful only, if it can't be cracked. I.e. it could make total sense, to prevent the normal user from private copying and spreading the burnt CDs, while allowing the software to be spread over other channels.

Otherwise, how can it be explained, that BTS' CMBB version came out with an old, already cracked Safedisc-version, while CDV, a big publisher, already present in all big stores in Germany, uses an uncracked version?

As the replies in this thread proove, available warezed versions do not necessarily mean, that people don't buy the software.

Usually people buy for things freely, if the price is ok.

And for CM the price is extremely fair compared to what you get.

It's not that simple, that every warezed version means one less sold legal version.

I don't want to be understood as supporting using cracked software.

I just want to show some aspects, that are usually withheld or made to a taboo.

Especially in the case of the almost unknown game Combat Mission, from the unknown small company BigTime Software, i would say, that the damage to the company due to being unknown, is much higher, than cracked versions of their product could ever create.

If everyone knows your product, THEN it makes sense, to protect it from being spread.

But if no one knows it, the oposite can be right.

CM's WEGO system has the potential, to blow big parts of the ridiculous RTS genre away, if the people would simply know, how unrealistically RTS is (compared to the genius WEGO system).

Who doesn't know the question of young potential wargamers if you suggest CM to them: 'Is it a RTS game?'

Fact is, the average player doesn't know what WEGO means. And if he has heard about it in a review, he still knows nothing: you need to have played CM, to discover it's ingenuity.

Like Andreas already said:

It is all about incentives to stop pirating.

[ September 19, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

Originally posted by General Brock:

Read the Dungeon Seige link.....LOL. Sorry to sound racist but only the Chinese would get pissed off that the designer would'nt sign the pirated copy of his game. In Asia piracy is so insanely rampet in all kinds of media that in North America it seems almost non existant by comparison.

racist.

love,

a chinese guy

Greetings from the land of piracy! Here in China EVERYTHING sold here is bootleg--even computers and computer systems. In fact, this computer, lent to me for use by my school, is made up entirely of bootleg software--everything! The only authenic things about my computer are the computer components (maybe).

Add VCDs, DVDs and PC games to the list. What gets me is that these are NOT sold in some back alley, but sold in such name brand stores as WalMart, Park Lane, and Carrefour. I am now seeing boots of games such as Medal of Honor, East Front II and countless FPS games sold everywhere. These are all carefully packaged in authentic looking covers, and shrink wrapped. They all, however, bear some strange logo from some unknown software company (read: laboratory). There is no Talonsoft or Matrix games labels found anywhere. Amazing. I just got a chuckle when I saw GI Combat for sale (price 40 RMB, less than $5). Again, it did not bear the Freedom Games or Strategy First label. Yep, GIC is SO BAD that I still wouldn't buy it--even for less than five bucks! I have never opened any of these boxes and therefore do not know whether or not the bootleg player's manual is written in English or Chinese.

My question is, if I DO see CMBO and CMBB available retail here in the PRC and it does NOT have the BFC lable affixed what should I do? Hey BFC, do you want to know about this? Then again, what can be done to stop it?

I do admit to owning several bootleg CDs and DVDs, probably burned just down the road in Shanghai, but what choice do I have? Boots are the only copies to be had. Sigh.

Fortunately for me, BFC DOES ship to the PRC and I eagerly await CMAK. At least I know I can get a real copy from BFC.

Can you imagine reading the CMBB Player's manual in Chinese?

Tooz, hehe, actually GI Combat is a bad example as it was going for $5 within 3 months after release in the US smile.gif

But, yes, we do want to know if pirated software is being offered, even if it's happening in China or other "known" territories. Even if we cannot prevent it from happening (which is the case most of the time), it's still good for us to keep track of such things for various reasons. Often enough we do hear about this sooner or later through publishing/distribution partners.

Martin