ROW III (Part 5)

Just an update myself. I've managed to finish Petroskov bridge which proved to be an enthralling battle with lots of options. I don't think I'm giving much away by saying that the chances for the Soviets to destroy the bridge using H.E. are probably Buckleys or none.

Only 5 turns left in The High Road with both Combined Arms and myself relatively confident that we'll be able to pull off a minor victory. Since we can't both achieve this perhaps it will end up a draw!

Koltov has a little further to go and I am roughly half way through with still no great clash of forces yet. This one is still very much up in the air.

Regards

Jim R.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WineCape,

Since I know you hang out here, I thought I'd let you know that the wine gift finally arrived and was fully intact. Had you not used the special bottle carrier, though, one bottle would proably have been lost, for a blow broke the carrier but not the bottle. There was no external damage to the box.

My thanks to Customs for aging the wine in such a precision manner! Would you please E-mail me or post if desired the background on the wines you so kindly sent? Will have a report shortly, as have been invited to dinner this weekend.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

John Kettler

John,

Always good to hear your wines arrived as I intended - intact! Customs always seem to handle my wines rough; I suppose they need to shake the boxes to make sure nothing is ticking inside :D

Now drink up and enjoy the South African sunshine captured in those bottles.

PS: I forgot to send you the wine details/background. Will e-mail you as soon as I can find the list of the wines I send you. Been away on a 2 month holiday, so things are still rusty here.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

• 2 weeks later...

I have returned from my vacation, but I only get replies from one battle (Petrosk river).

Since my other PBEMs also slack off I still assume that this is a vacation, big-blue-room-too-pretty effect and we should concentrate on making a concentrated wakeup call in September to get things back on track. For now everyone seems to assume everyone else is slacking off.

Update time...

To date I have received the following game results. Allies are listed first, and the matchups are divided between finalists and non-finalists(italics).

The Petroskov River Bridge

Wellsonian vs Lt Bull

Juha vs Holien

Bryce Baker vs Frunze

mPisi vs Pacestick

Wade vs jjelinek

Stoneage vs Kanonier Reichmann

The Koltov Corridor

Holien vs Pacestick

Lt Bull vs Shock Trooper

Flammenwerfer vs Tabpub

jjelinek vs Ted

The High Road

Shock Trooper vs Wellsonian

Tweety vs Flammenwerfer

Kanonier Reichmann vs Combined arms

If you have finished a game and do not see your results up there, or you spot a mistake, please let me know asap.

Hi,

I feel I need to qualify that previous statement.

What I did not like was the way you defended, which gave me sod all chance (IMO) of taking the flags.

;)

That and me forgeting that when you re-target smoke rounds you have to use the K key rather than the T or I key.

This rather hurt my mass of men charging across that open ground towards your trench line. A double whammy.

:(

I will e-mail results to KF tonight.

H

WineCape,

Haven't done much socializing, but I wanted you to know that the 2001 Stone of Life Chardonnay was a big hit at dinner with friends a few weeks ago. It does indeed have a gunpowder nose even my sniffer could detect (how strange!) and a pronounced mineral finish. Delicious!

Troops,

Take my word. You want to win the wine! Fight hard!

Regards,

John Kettler

Much belated update...

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that I have been buried with real life commitments, and have not had much time to catch my breath, much less to devote to the tourney. Just to be clear, I have not abandoned the tourney, just forced to put it on the back burner for a bit while I deal with what I have going on here.

To those of you who have e-mailed me and have not received a reply, I will get to you, but please bear with me for a bit. This includes those who need passwords, or replacement players, or just wondering what the status is.

Sergio

Originally posted by John Kettler:

WineCape,

Haven't done much socializing, but I wanted you to know that the 2001 Stone of Life Chardonnay was a big hit at dinner with friends a few weeks ago. It does indeed have a gunpowder nose even my sniffer could detect (how strange!) and a pronounced mineral finish. Delicious!

In fact, it is called "Life from Stone" Sauvignon Blanc, made by Springfield estate. But I get your gist John: Enjoyment. smile.gif

Quite appropriate don't you think:

"Springfield" => magazine round manufacturer;

"flint/gunsmoke" tasting notes => fired guns (in CM) ;)

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

</font>

• Wine donation send to Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER, an excellent tool - it even lets you play 2 PBEM turns per e-mail exhange - if you play more than one PBEM at a time and have a Windows OS</font>
  • Sponsor of the (now infamous) Invitational (Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn’s Brazilian customs drank the wine prize up! + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honor of Nabla (His scoring system revolutionized CM tourney play)</font>
  • Rumblings of War, aka RoW I/II/III and beyond tourney sponsor (Wreck/Ali+Kanonier+Jon_L/~)</font>
  • Grateful donateur to the drinking habits of Battlefront.com (Baldy received the Fat Bastard Chardonnay)</font>
  • Thank You donation send to Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Boots & Tracks for their scenarios created specifically for RoW tournaments</font>
  • Wine donation send to Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility (Thereby making the installing of CM mods a breeze)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Andrew Fox for his CM modding work</font>
  • Wine donation send to Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot for his dedication in hosting CM scenarios</font>
  • Sponsor-to-be of Pengville’s “Gamey Bastard” tourney (In honor of Seanachai + Lars for showing an act of kindness to an outerboarder - Well, bribery does pay.)</font>

-------------------History Note------------------

On 22 December 1944 General Heinrich von Lüttwitz, commander of the German XLVII Armoured Corps, sent a message to General McAuliffe, commander of 101st Airborne Division* demanding he surrender the surrounded town of Bastogne. McAuliffe’s reply, “NUTS!” is probably unequalled in the annals of military history, both for its brevity and the amount of confusion it caused in the German camp before it was deciphered.

*The 101st Airborne Division held out in Bastogne from 19-26 December 1944. The 4th American Armoured Division, under Patton’s Third Army, relieved the “Battered Bastards of Bastogne” during the German Ardennes offensive.

[ September 18, 2003, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

• 2 weeks later...