CMAK Screenshot Gallery updated with dozens of new pics!

This'll probably sound stupid, but I'll say it anyway. Your desert really looks like a desert. In nearly every other game I've played, the designers just plopped down some sandy tile and maybe a palm tree here and there, but they totally ignore the fact that the deserts really do have a lot of diverse terrain.

When I was in Kuwait, I was shocked to see so much... not green, but vegetation. Shrubs and arid grasses that look exactly like what you've got there. More rocks and hard dirt than sand.

So thanks for doing another thing right that so many others before you have screwed up. I look forward to being back in the desert. smile.gif

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by zukkov:

...are sand storms just too rough to fight in?

Yes. When the ghibli (khamsin, etc.) closes in, everything shuts down. Everybody hunkers down, covers their faces, and tries to eat as little sand as possible. There were exceptions, but very, very few. Visibility is reduced to a few meters and trying to operate any mechanical device is an almost certain invitation to disaster because the dust get into everything and eats it alive. Ever watch a sandblaster in action? Imagine one the size of a medium-sized city.

Michael

Hey, one of those pieces of flying schrapnel from that exploding tank looks suspiciously like a swastika shape

Just kidding.... ;)

But seriously, though, well done on the desert terrain. There are precious few sand-only deserts in this world, but quite a lot of deserts strewn with rocks and low-growing vegetation. Looks Libyan to me (not that I've been there).

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Who's a dog? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Question: WTF are M10s doing in Africa (page 2 upper right corner shot)? I thought they didn't come along until at least Sicily.

Also, it seems to me that vehicles are stirring up a mite too much dust when traveling on paved roads.

Otherwise, not too bad. Carry on.

:D

Michael

CMAK covers Italy, too.</font>

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Personally, I think you ought to grovel a bit (well, a lot actually, but I don't suppose you can get blood out of a turnip).

Tell you what, I wont't say anything about your screw up regarding dust on what are obviously gravel roads if you don't say anything on my alleged error.</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Personally, I think you ought to grovel a bit (well, a lot actually, but I don't suppose you can get blood out of a turnip).

Tell you what, I wont't say anything about your screw up regarding dust on what are obviously gravel roads if you don't say anything on my alleged error.</font>

It looks like Juju has had a hand at helping BFC with their explosions judging by the visual impact those screenshots show when something goes boom.

I'm guessing that the so called lowly Sherman will come into its own in 1942/43 when pitted against Pz III's and Semovente's. Will probably change a few peoples views on the Sherman after their experiences from CMBO.

Regards

Jim R.

Question: WTF are M10s doing in Africa (page 2 upper right corner shot)? I thought they didn't come along until at least Sicily.

Not to hijack the thread, but there were M10s involved in combat during the Tunisian campaign. The short version is that the creation of the M10 was a 'rush job', slapping an 3 inch AA gun onto a Sherman chassis, and was in the field in late 1942 / early 1943.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

It looks like Juju has had a hand at helping BFC with their explosions judging by the visual impact those screenshots show when something goes boom.

Actually they are the same explosion as in CMBB at the moment, hehe. I guess everything looks cooler when in a new screen shot smile.gif

Dan

Hey Dan!

Nice work!! Awesome stuff. smile.gif

I had a quick question for you. Do you know if those shadows under the tanks/vehicles could ever be darker? Or is that a hard-coded thingy??

Thanks for your time (and all your excellent work).

Gpig

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

This'll probably sound stupid, but I'll say it anyway. Your desert really looks like a desert. In nearly every other game I've played, the designers just plopped down some sandy tile and maybe a palm tree here and there, but they totally ignore the fact that the deserts really do have a lot of diverse terrain.

When I was in Kuwait, I was shocked to see so much... not green, but vegetation. Shrubs and arid grasses that look exactly like what you've got there. More rocks and hard dirt than sand.

So thanks for doing another thing right that so many others before you have screwed up. I look forward to being back in the desert. smile.gif

I was just thinking the same thing; only the screenies remind me of the view out my front window (I live in New Mexico) --- minus the Churchills, of course...