CMAK Screenshot Gallery updated with dozens of new pics!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the added scenery & increased density, dust etc look good, as do the new models.

But I have one big complaint that carries over from CMBO and CMBB: There is still no shading on the ground!

Even the sunny desert looks like a overcast day. Makes eyeballing distances and elevation changes very difficult as the ground munges into a low-contrast blah. I'd call this a play affecting issue, as I often have to use swing the camera around to get some idea of the elevation changes in a map.

I'm not talking shadows or anything too fancy, just some basic diffuse shading based on a single light source (the sun) on the ground. Maybe not in the realm of the current engine? Would it be possible to prerender a shading map and slap it onto the terrain? Myth II used to do this and it made a huge difference in play. It also looks much better.

Failing that, I'd really like to see more contrast in the CMAK overall. Try taking image 40 into Photoshop or similar and hitting autolevels. Notice how much more punch it has? It looks like a sunny day!

Anyway, looking forward to AFAK. Hope MappingMission supports it too.

While on the subject of lighting, I have a point I'd like to raise as well. I hope the terrain and everything on it in AK will be a lot BRIGHTER than in BB. Especially in North Africa, but also all over the Mediterranean.

The light in BB may be about right for an overcast day, but even in Russia, when the sun came out it wasn't that dark. And the Mediterranean world, which is at approximately the same lattitudes as the US, could be very bright indeed.

Michael

[ September 10, 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]