Whats you're favorite late war Soviet Tank or Tank destoyer ?

In the late war games what soviet tank or tank destroyer do you find most effective ?The su 100 has the best gun vs armour but has weak arnour itself . ? The Isu-122 and Isu-152 are both effecive but the lack a a turret makes them less versitile on attack .Plus they have a small ammo load out and slow load time .Is2 has best armour but has a slow load time and small ammo loadout . I think the t-34 85 is the most effective late war soviet tank .Good armour good gun lots of ammo and fast .

[ January 13, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

SU-85 'M' version. Check that superb upper Hull armour, she's virtually invulnerable when Hull Down. Plus they are fairly cheap, get a decent ammo loadout and can kill anything up to a King Tiger frontally :cool:

Su-85M like su-100 has a 75/50 front upper hull armor (dark green),Panther A(early) has a 83/55 upper and 63/55 lower front full armor,upper hull is dark blue, and lower dark green , but darker than Su.I undearstand that SU-85M/100 armor should be at least as Panthers lower hull,because it has 50 to 65 degree, but 75 to 63 mm of armor(a stupid question why colors differ?) or even little less than Panthers upper hull, but in game at range of 1080 SU-100 vs Panther loses ,SU gets partial penetration front upper hull ,Panther gets a front turret hit,(Su is shoked and Panther isn't) the secord hit from Panther and SU is knocked out.Am i missing something?

I like t-34-85 three 85 guns better then one-two 100 just because three shots at once ;)

I alwaus use middle class armor against human and prefer schema like 3 middle tanks 1-2 large inf gun against AT guns. And much as possible middle tanks... not several heavy.

I win several battles just bacause have in 3 times more guns on one super enemy tank ... 9 pzIII ausf g on large distance (600 metres) against 4 T-34-76... I win tank conflict in 3 turns: all T-34 crews scaped their tanks I lost 3 tanks.

So I prefer middle class armor It's cheep and I can purchase two or even three of them.

[ January 14, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Leit ]

Originally posted by Leit:

So I prefer middle class armor It's cheep and I can purchase two or even three of them.

Seems like the T-34/85 is much cheaper relative to, say, a Panther, than the Sherman76 was in CMBO, and you don't have to pay even more points for good anti-bog characteristics, as one did for the Easy-8. That's a big plus for the Soviets in CMBB.

I really like to blow up tanks with Marders or Su76. they are cheap but it's very satisfying to use them successfully in a sneaky ambush.

I have to say that I play mostly 41-42 games.. ;)

when it comes to a "sexy" vehicle, nothing beats the Jagdpanther! If you have the chance, try to see one in "real life". It looks plain deadly and agressive.

I usually play scenarios, so I rarely get a choice, but I'd pick the T-34/85 over any other Soviet tank any day. The IS series just has too slow an ROF to be useful. The T-34-85 may be an eggshell with a hammer, but it's a *fast* eggshell, with great ground pressure, good ammo load, and 2 useful MGs to boot (that rear-firing MG on some IS series is about as close to useless as any weapon I've ever seen).

For TDs, I think the SU-100 is clearly the best giant killer of the bunch, but it's more limited against infantry targets. I do have a soft spot for SU-122s though - they're great for 'rezoning' whole city blocks when attacking built up areas, and also for area firing into tree lines as recon by fire.

Cheers,

YD

• 6 months later...

T-34/85 is a very good all around tank. It's gun is decent and capable of destroying and or damaging most of the German late war panzers, its speed and mobility is far superior to its German counterparts, its rate of fire is fair and improves with crew experience of course.

The only thing I don't like about it is its crews reaction to enemy armor. After having stated this, I will say that in most armor vs armor engagements I find that the Russian tanks will quickly back off and start a "scoot and shoot" contest. Russian armor will generally stand its ground only when the numerical odds are in its favor. Smart I guess but when you are in command of the armor and would like to get off two shots before being spotted, the tendency is for the crew to spot the panzer and back off.

IS-2 for my tank, ISU 122 for my tank destroyer. Big guns that rubble any building and can knock out the heaviest German armor. Now that these have received terrific makeover mods (thanks guys) they also LOOK GOOD too :D (I love the Rhino on my Stalins and the cross on top of the ISU). :cool:

Personally I prefer two of the the good ol' 57mm ATG with two MMG carriers as prime movers. This costs you just 320 points (veteran ATG) in 03/45, a bit more than 2 T34/85 and less than two SU-100. The ATGs have a high fire rate (6 to 8 shots per minute), are hard to spot and difficult to hit smile.gif

Get them in a good position (flanking, forest) as a pair and they get out 6 to 8 shots each in the first minute you let them open fire. You bet that they score hits and the penetration is comparable to a T34/85 and the tungsten pretty close to the SU-100.

I killed a full King Tiger Platoon from a flanking position on 800m with this kind of team. 2 of the KT's didn't even have time to return fire :D

And BTW, when you buy the whole Mechanized Guards Motorized Rifle Bn (Tank) '44 you get 4 of the bastards at a bargain price (85 pts instead of 112) ! smile.gif

I the use the T34s (be it 76 or 85) as vehicles for my tank riders and to hunt small game (such as Pz IV, Halftracks etc). ;)