Game ideas - wish lists

I love CMBB and all that - great therapy after a hard day - but I was wondering what twists people would like to see the boys from Battlefront make in an ideal world.

MOi? why thansk for asking. I would love to see a fantasy LoTR version. Mmhhhh.. tactical gaming without having to pinat a million figures...hordes of orcs overrrunning hobbitholes.....elvish ambushes in the woods - giant spiders on speed......

and before you flame me, look me in the eye and say you wouldnt play it...

smile.gif

Grum

<looking Grumlin firmly in the eyes>

Nope, I probably wouldn't. IMO the engine/combat system doesn't suit it at all. The CM engine just doesn't do hand to hand combat at all well. Wich I assume would be (except fo the elves)

the major way of causing death.

LotR based on the Total War engine on the other hand, well, just don't stand in front of me in shops when it would hits the shelves, I'll kick ya out of the way. :D

Originally posted by GRUMLIN:

...I would love to see a fantasy LoTR version. Mmhhhh.. tactical gaming without having to pinat a million figures...hordes of orcs overrrunning hobbitholes.....elvish ambushes in the woods - giant spiders on speed......

I already see it coming...

"...my elite Ringwraith just got killed by a conscript hobbit with a 'rear penetration'!! Fix or do somefink!!"

"...why do my Mumaks always bog down in muddy weather? This can't be realistic!"

"...Uruk-Hai shouldn't surrender that quickly! As they are modelled now they are nothing but overpriced Hamsters!"

"...why won't my Hobbits engage a Balrog? According to the LOS tool they have 0.00001% chance of killing him, they shouldn't run as soon as they spot him!"

...not to forget Rexford's posts: "... mithril armour quality in middle earth as reported by Durin son of Dong, Volume XXVII-XXIX."

etc...

:D

Let us not forget:

Imrahil's troops use the same graphic as the soldiers from Minas Tirith for pete's sake. The game isn't finished until the emblems of Dol Amroth are properly displayed!!!!

Oh, as to the original question, mine would be a CMBB game featuring the units in Gear Krieg (see my sig). Armored walkers, rocketruppen, zombie soldiers, supersoldiers, and Tesla tanks all mixed in with the real WWII stuff we know and love.

[ February 10, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Becket ]

In all seriousness, in my opinion LotR actually would be very hard to do right in a serious setting like CM. Now, mind you, a serious setting like that would be the only way to do it justice, but there's a problem.

There's no information to model. You would just be guessing, and those guesses would be fueled by your imagination rather than JRRT. There's no information about the hardness of mithril, or the relative sharpness of elven v. orcish swords, or what strength doors Grond could penetrate, or the speed values of Ringwraith steeds. That to me would be a major impediment to trying to do a LotR wargame.

However, I recognize that in this regard, on this subject, I'm a purist and a stickinthemud. Pay me no mind. smile.gif

Hehe... we had similar jokes at the expense of Tolkien Grogs, Star Trek Grogs, etc. if we ever did those kinds of games. We would get peppered with all sorts of complaints about something not being "realistic" for sure! smile.gif

Because of the scale of pre firearms battles, I am not sure we could simulate this type of thing using a CM type engine. But one never knows!

BTW, seeing "LOTR" makes me shudder... that was a game I once worked on (Lords of the Realm 2). Many lost hours of my life helping bring that one to market smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hehe... we had similar jokes at the expense of Tolkien Grogs, Star Trek Grogs, etc. if we ever did those kinds of games. We would get peppered with all sorts of complaints about something not being "realistic" for sure! smile.gif

Because of the scale of pre firearms battles, I am not sure we could simulate this type of thing using a CM type engine. But one never knows!

BTW, seeing "LOTR" makes me shudder... that was a game I once worked on (Lords of the Realm 2). Many lost hours of my life helping bring that one to market smile.gif

Steve

YOU were partly responsible for Lords of the Realm 2? I curse you!

I still have my copy! :D It was sort of good fun, primarily, I think, because my computer sucked and I couldn't run all the new games.

Steve

So you cut out half of the fun from this game? ;)

Compared to Lords of the Realm 1, not being able to design your own castles was a great disappointment. I guess the AI couldn't handle it.

Dschugaschwili

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GRUMLIN:

...I would love to see a fantasy LoTR version. Mmhhhh.. tactical gaming without having to pinat a million figures...hordes of orcs overrrunning hobbitholes.....elvish ambushes in the woods - giant spiders on speed......

I already see it coming...

"...my elite Ringwraith just got killed by a conscript hobbit with a 'rear penetration'!! Fix or do somefink!!"

"...why do my Mumaks always bog down in muddy weather? This can't be realistic!"

"...Uruk-Hai shouldn't surrender that quickly! As they are modelled now they are nothing but overpriced Hamsters!"

"...why won't my Hobbits engage a Balrog? According to the LOS tool they have 0.00001% chance of killing him, they shouldn't run as soon as they spot him!"

...not to forget Rexford's posts: "... mithril armour quality in middle earth as reported by Durin son of Dong, Volume XXVII-XXIX."

etc...

:D </font>

Steve

I loved that game.I could now only love you more if you had worked on the game from the early 90's called "Hammer of the Gods".

Muray