Happy Birthday CMBB, 1 year old today! A retrospective look back, then and now!!!!!!!

Digging up some saved data on my HDD that crashed last year, I discovered this WarGamer article by Martin Turewicz that got me interested in CMBO just before the release of the demo.

CMBO's demo was a killer! Can still remember VoT or "Valley of Trouble", playing Americans and the nasty surprise of that Pz. IVJ (was it?) rolling over the hills toward my beaten-up troops in the village. Those were the days...

Remember this?

76vskt.jpg

I'm ever so grateful for Martin for leading me onto the path of nirvana!

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

</font>

• Wine donation send to Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER, an excellent tool - it even lets you play 2 PBEM turns per e-mail exhange - if you play more than one PBEM at a time and have a Windows OS</font>
  • Sponsor of the (now infamous) Invitational (Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn’s Brazilian customs drank the wine prize up! + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honor of Nabla (His scoring system revolutionized CM tourney play)</font>
  • Rumblings of War, aka RoW I/II/III and beyond tourney sponsor (Wreck/Ali+Kanonier+Jon_L/~)</font>
  • Grateful donateur to the drinking habits of Battlefront.com (Baldy received the Fat Bastard Chardonnay)</font>
  • Thank You donation send to Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Boots & Tracks for their scenarios created specifically for RoW tournaments</font>
  • Wine donation send to Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility (Thereby making the installing of CM mods a breeze)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Andrew Fox for his CM modding work</font>
  • Wine donation send to Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot for his dedication in hosting CM scenarios</font>
  • Sponsor-to-be of Pengville’s “Gamey Bastard” tourney (In honor of Seanachai + Lars for showing an act of kindness to an outerboarder - Well, bribery does pay.)</font>

[ September 22, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Congratulations to BFC for creating the most marvelous games of any sort, let alone wargames, that I have ever played.

And condolences for having enabled the Peng Challenge Thread in the process. Or perhaps that's 'ennobled'? Hard to say, hard to say.

There are times when I feel like I've abused their kindness by simply paying the fifty some dollars for the games themselves. I've met so many interesting (and occasionally disturbing) people through this Forum, and had so many hours of rather odd amusement in the process, as well as logging more hours on these games than all the others I've ever owned put together, that I feel like I should be paying a monthly subscription for the games rather than a flat fee.

CMers have come to my home (most of them invited, so far), rallied to my aid, and showered me with a deeply, deeply satisfying collection of cards, postcards and letters filled with hatred.

Hail to thee, BFC! Happy birthday, Combat Mission!

BUMPING this thread with this quote from a very old article written by Bruce Geryk from gamesdomain.com about CM (back when it was just a twinkle in Charles' eye):

I have been following, with some

interest, the discussion board

maintained by Big Time

Software regarding its computer

games. For the past several

months, this board has been

dominated by people clamoring

for the release of Computer Squad Leader. What I

have found fascinating is the seeming dichotomy

between those who want a simple port of the

boardgame and those who yearn for a game which

incorporates every possible detail regarding World

War II combat. Few people come out and say it, but

no matter how many details have been mentioned

previously, someone always ends up adding just a

couple more. Big Time Software seem to be very

sympathetic to the latter view, but temper this with a

promise to make most of it "invisible" to the gamer.

Unfortunately, as I point out below, this is impossible to

do if one wants to actually keep the final product a

"game."

Interesting, I thought...