V1.1 PATCH IS READY!

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

it is my understanding that in the game Hide as it relates to Tanks ONLY idles the engine making a sound contact alot less likely

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? I thought the HIDE command as applied to tanks was an order for the tank to take a hull down position confused.gif

Henri

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent work, BTS. Enough work on CM 1, it's time for to play! And then CM2?

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flipper:

terrence you need to rtfm...anyway thanks for the new patch maybe more people will show up for tcp/ip play..now get back to work!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"terrence you need to rtfm" ????

No, I believe terence is completely correct.

page 159 of the manual ("keeps engines on low idle")

no?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 01-10-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stefan Wennerberg:

Is there any reason (e.g., longer pause to start moving, slower turrent traverse) to not use the HIDE command with vehicles?

Stefan Wennerberg<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a "suggestion" that the vehicle "may" be hampered by reduced spotting ability when hiding, but I have never seen or read of this being confirmed?

Reduced spotting ability when a vehicle is hiding doesn't make sense to me, as it sould be able to hear and listen for sound cantacts BETTER when the engine is quiet?

-tom w

Thanks for the great news BTS.

I know the industry has awards for best game (should be Combat Mission), but they should also acknowledge:

Best Support for a Game: BTS

Most helpful website for a game: Battlefront.com

Most demonstrated dedication to improve a gamer's experience with their product: BTS

Company most likely to succeed by virtue of their superior commitment to quality: BTS

...You get the idea. Thanks BTS!

What? I thought the HIDE command as applied to tanks was an order for the tank to take a hull down position confused.gif

A hull down position is relative to the other units targeting it. You can't order a unit to go "hull down", it's not that simple. While you may be hull down to one enemy unit, you could still be wide open to another. There's no way the AI could figure out WHICH enemy you wanted to be hull down against.

Hide is simply putting engines to idle. Says so right in the manual.

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 01-10-2001).]

First off, thanks for the patch smile.gif

However, I have a problem with the below:

BTS said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>* Fixed bug so you cannot get TRP bonus when adjusting fire, unless you are within 20m of TRP (was 100m due to bug).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does the existence of a TRP make any difference at all, at any radius from the TRP, to the time it takes to adjust on-going FFE? I can't see why it should, regardless of whether you're talking non-TRP FFE moving towards a TRP, or TRP FFE moving off a TRP.

A TRP is simply a bookmark. It marks the place you interrupted the process of calling for fire between the 2 stages of spotting rounds and FFE. When you use a TRP, you are simply picking up where you left off, going into FFE after a delay from doing the spotting rounds. But the over-all process is exactly the same whether or not you have a TRP--the TRP is just a pause in it.

Therefore, to gunners and FOs, there is absolutely no difference between FFE anywhere on the map and FFE on a TRP. Thus, adjusting the FFE from either type of location should have exactly the same time delay.

As I have mentioned before, because the process of creating a TRP and the process of adjusting spotting rounds elsewhere on the map to get the MPI on the DMPI are exactly the same, you should be able to create in-game TRPs everywhere you have gone through the spotting round period. This is because non-TRP FFE locations are recorded in real life just like TRPs, so you can go back and hit them later without having to do spotting rounds again: IOW, exactly what you do with a TRP.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martyr:

Don't "hiding" tanks also hold their fire unless an enemy comes particularly close? I understand that hiding tanks make less noise, but I've been assuming that they also won't give away their position by firing.

Martyr<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Don't "hiding" tanks also hold their fire unless an enemy comes particularly close?"

Well "theoretically" it should do that, but other than the reference on page 159 in the manual I have not seen stated like that anywhere here on the board by BTS. So I'm curious too.

smile.gif

-tom w

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Just wanted to say THANKS! BTS.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Vanir, the reduction in armour is not something that will show in the Jumbo unit info as it is a change made due to they way in which the Jumbo's armour was constructed. I dont know the details, but if you do a search you will find more info.

Im not sure about the speed, Ill have to run that one past Charles...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, please do. I read the thread in which the information regarding the Jumbo armor came up. Charles simply stated there that it would result in a reduction in the Jumbo's armor in 1.1. I guess there must be some armor characteristics that are not shown in the unit info screen. But the speed thing is a little puzzling.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV