Sound off, folks: What's the story behind your "user name"?

Fan is short for BloodFan, which evolved from my old handle in Air Warrior, BreadFan (one of my all-time favorite songs). A buddy in the Relaxed Realism arenas in Air Warrior said he was gonna start calling me BloodFan because I left a trail of blood (mostly my own wink.gif) wherever I went. And since CPIDs in AW were limited to 5 characters or under, Fan it was.

Fan is also, I understand, a nickname for the devil in either Swedish or Norwegian (neither of which can I speak or understand.)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A hot oppressive and often dusty wind usually occurring in spring, beginning in N Africa..."

Which was the origin of the name given to the fans used in Churchill tanks.

------------------

"He belongs to a race which has coloured the map red, and all he wants are the green fields of England..."

- Joe Illingworth, Yorkshire Post War Correspondent

Guest Mikey D

An annoying supervisor used to call me 'Mikey', which I thought was cute until she got me fired. The 'D' is the initial for my family name which is common in Quebec and South Africa but cannot be pronounced by ANYONE in Boston.

Guest KwazyDog

Long story...but Ill give you the short version. wink.gif

Years ago I was playing Quake 2 online and needed a nick. My dog was sitting next to me at the time. His name is Max, but I tend to call crazy dog, becuase he really isnt all there, hehe. So CrazyDog was the best I could think of at short noticed.

I wanted something a bit different though, so I used KwazyDog, and its kind of stuck since then wink.gif

Dan

The history of my -still young- nickname...

Well, its taken from a battle of the War of Spanish Succession fought between British (with Austrian help) against French. The British general, Marlborough, won the title of Duke of Blenheim after crushing the Frenche there.

By the way, That general was an ancestor of Winston Churchill, our beloved Prime Minister.

Dogface- a regular infantry soldier (american) in WW2

--------------------------------

I wouldn't give a bean to be a fancy pants Marine

I'd rather be a dogface soldier like I am

I wouldn't change my old OD's for all the Navy's dungarees

For I'm the walking pride of Uncle Sam

On a poster that I read it says the Army builds me,

So they're tearing me down to build me over again.

I'm just a dogface soldier with a rifle on my shoulder.

And I eat raw meat for breakfast everyday

So feed me ammunition; keep me in the Division-

Your dogface soldier boy's Okay.

biggrin.gif

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

-----------------------------------------

http://ponyshow.com some screenshots

[This message has been edited by Dogface (edited 02-15-2001).]

It fits. After I attended the Engineer Officer Basic Course at Fort Belvoir, VA, from May to July 1966, I was a certified "Combat Engineer Troop Leader" with MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) 1331. Three weeks and five jumps at the Airborne School at Fort Benning, GA, let me add the prefix 7 for Airborne. After I was made a "Nuclear Weapons Courier Officer" (combat engineer battalions had an ADM [Atomic Demolitions Munitions] platoon), I recall I got a suffix 5, making my final MOS 713315. Nukes aren't appropriate for Combat Mission, so I discarded the suffix.

A wartime Warners Bros. cartoon called, iirc, "Gremlins from the Kremlin," which showed a bunch of mischievous gremlins sabotaging a German bomber as a raving Hitler tried to fly it. I love those old propaganda cartoons smile.gif

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

Unlike the other commissar on this board, my name refers to my childhood hobby: Wargammer 40K Miniature game!

The Commissar units were these bad-ass looking guys who had a nasty habbit of shooting routed soldiers. It was a great morale bonus, and they wound up being one of my favorite units in the game. So I thought it would suit me well here, and there ya go! smile.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Ok, so I win the contest for worst nick but here me out before punishing me wink.gif

I'm pretty new to this board and when I registered I thought that all my old nicks wheren't aproperiate for CM... (While playing netrek/paradise 1 million years ago I used Spocko, from the old StarTrek episod and a couple of years later playing Duke3d I used Dr.Dominans (swedish from dominance, get it? wink.gif ). The reason I chosed the PzKfw nick dates back to a scenario where I got reinforced by a couple of panthers when I was prepared to surrender... Somehow the panthers turned the tide and I was able the win the game... And, they look damn good. The allied tanks ju look plain... but-ugly. Period. wink.gif

Simonides was the poet who wrote the epitaph for the Spartans at Thermopylae. Not as some might think Simon because he was a zealot and I am a member of the CM Jihad Brigade. Fox because I usually play allies and you need the cunning of the fox to win against the king of tigers. It used to be SimonFox but I got bored with that and put in a space for a fresh start. Creative hey?

Hey Dan I thought KwazyDog was somefink to do with the fly by night club, dog collars and other crazy stuff?

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

My name is a variation on the name of a comic strip character created by me and a friend some 20 years ago called "Sgt Rocksoff: the only real hero".

My favorite episode was when Sgt Rocksoff straps a mine to the top of his helmet and crawls through the blood and muck and gunfire across the battlefield to intercept the dreaded "haunted ubertank of the SS!". Of course the massive tank runs directly over him and explodes into a thousand tiny fragments. As the story ends you see a closeup of the semi-decapitated Sarge with just his mouth and a stogie in it saying: "Good thing I wus wearin mah helmit!"

Yes, mine is derived from the classic Disney cartoon, but I picked it because after considering my two other hobbies, Hockey and Karate, "thumping" just seemed like a natural. I spelled it different just to be difficult, which is another of my hobbies, just ask my wife.

------------------

When one goes tear-assing around, one often ends up with a torn ass.