Sound off, folks: What's the story behind your "user name"?

Originally posted by RokSS:

My name is a variation on the name of a comic strip character created by me and a friend some 20 years ago called "Sgt Rocksoff: the only real hero".

My favorite episode was when Sgt Rocksoff straps a mine to the top of his helmet and crawls through the blood and muck and gunfire across the battlefield to intercept the dreaded "haunted ubertank of the SS!". Of course the massive tank runs directly over him and explodes into a thousand tiny fragments. As the story ends you see a closeup of the semi-decapitated Sarge with just his mouth and a stogie in it saying: "Good thing I wus wearin mah helmit!"

that sounds like a cool comic...did he die in every episode like in the aeon flux shorts? (before the crappy tv series)

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked mine up flying Fighter Ace on the Zone. I was looking for a name for the squadron I had joined- TOO. Everyone had things like TOO_Badforu or TOO_Toughtohandle. I saw all the badass names and thought I'd lighten things up a bit! TOO_Goofy. Now RGP_CO_Goofy (Rebel German Pilots) I've continued to use it to remind myself that this is a game and I need to lighten up and enjoy myself. Also I was told on a forum once that to argue with me with that name made them feel like they were picking on someone off the "short bus". By the way, they took themselves WAY too seriously!

------------------

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

My life is a long one... While in my young, batter state, i had dreamed of being a pancake. I loved the way the batter simply lies flat on the griddle, free as a bird. One day, my father not approving of such a liberal lifestyle changed my life forever. He woke me up early, and claimed he would make a man out of me. My life long dreams were shattered when he broke out the waffle iron. I felt myself conforming to rigid square cells of society. And forever then i was know as

WallyWaffle

The first online game I played was the original Close Combat many years ago. You could give yourself an identity in the game setup and after seeing that there were a few players about that named themselves Sgt ***, Lt *** or Col ***, I thought it a good idea to use the same format (im sure there would be several of those players now playing CM)

Seeing that I had a nickname Bully and that the only reason I set out to have an online identity was to play wargames online, I thought Lt Bull summed it up an have used it ever since.

Lt Bull

My name is Username.

The name is the game. The user HAS this name. He is the USER. The name is the claim of shame and fame. Nothing to be gained. Burn, nonetheless, with a consistant flame. Always right. Trained. To perfection.

I AM THE USERNAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

sometimes I amaze myself

lewis

Guest Madmatt

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

Matt,

I happen to meet another "MadMatt" over SFC forumn. "He" said he is not the same person as you.

Griffin.

Obviously an imposter trying to capitalize on my stardom and icon status. Besides, he didnt even spell it right. Everyone knows it's Madmatt...

Originally posted by russellmz:

that sounds like a cool comic...did he die in every episode like in the aeon flux shorts? (before the crappy tv series)

Not familiar with eaon flux. Must've been after my time. Actually the Sarge was more like this guy-

wile.jpg

Is that really you Russ? biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Leonidas:

Leonidas was the Spartan commander at the battle of Thermopylae, circa 480 BC. The Greek cities needed time to organize defenses against an army of Persians. A small Spartan force was sent to block Thermopylae - a mountain pass through which the Persians had to travel. There were about 300 Spartans holding off about 10,000 Persians...

On the eve of the Battle of Thermopylae, King Xerxes of Persia sent a demand to King Leonidas and the 300 Spartan defenders calling for them to lay down their weapons. Leonidas' reply was simply "Come and get them".

Don't know if it's true but I heard it somewhere. Thought you might enjoy it.

Nedlam

Oh yeah, my name is my hometown spelled backwards.

I had a few nicknames while I was in the navy that I considered using. The one I was most often called is "Scammer" but when I use that on-line people always get the wrong idea. I was afraid that people might think I was some kind of cheater or something, which couldn't be farther from the truth. So I had to pass on that one. The second one I was known as is "One Eyed Craiger." That is just too damn long to use as a UserName, so that was out. That name was eventually shortened up to just "Craiger" which is what I should have used. Instead I went with "Subvet" for some unknown reason. Maybe I'll change it...

------------------

Craig

"Only a madman would consider the possibility of war between the two states (France and Germany), for which, from our point of view, there is no rational or moral ground." - Chancellor Adolf Hitler, Oct. 14, 1933

Originally posted by RokSS:

Not familiar with eaon flux. Must've been after my time. Actually the Sarge was more like this guy-

wile.jpg

Is that really you Russ? biggrin.gif

less fur, but the expression is too perfect

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Obviously an imposter trying to capitalize on my stardom and icon status. Besides, he didnt even spell it right. Everyone knows it's Madmatt...

Matt,

You’ve lost your sense of balance, and have become more Mad than matt. This other Matt, the one you claim is an imposter, has found balance between his Madness and his Mattness. Perhaps it is time to find your center, meld your madness with your mattness, and become self centered. This is the true path to nirvana.

-Lurker

P.S. I call myself Lurker because I lurked on the board for nearly a year before posting. Since then, I’ve gotten out of hand and posted way too often.

Guest MantaRay

Well, my name is Ray, and Manta was picked up in boot camp for some reason, as was StingRay, but that just didn't fit for me, so hence MantaRay.

The wife calls me either SexyRanger or PsychoRanger now, depending on if someone has pissed me off or not on our visits to the outside world.

And if I kill her one day, my name will be 24HourCMPlayer, but I dont think the warden would allow PC's in my cell. smile.gif

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

This pretty much says it all:

Billy Bishop dedicated his life to aviation. By his skill and daring he became, at 24, Britain's leading air ace, Commander of the first Canadian Air Force, and the most decorated Canadian in World War I.

MSW

"Sometimes its hard to see which way the gun is pointing"