The Jagdpanther is a superweapon !

Hello guys and girls (maybe, I hope lol). I just played a quick battle against the computer. 5 Pershings attacked a lone Jadgpanther hidden behind a small elevation in front of a wooded patch. The Jagdpanther was hull down. It destroyed all five Pershings at 1000-600 meters while rounds after rounds were bouncing off his upper hull front plate :D This was an impressive sight !! The Jadgpanther was manned by a regular crew and so were the Pershings. It's a good thing they only built 300 of them !

Regards,

Patrick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for grins I pit 3 Pershings against one Jagpanther. You are correct that Jagpanther is tough. But the Pershing did knock it out after firing 10 shells and the Jagpanther failed to kill any of the Pershing but this actually was at 1200 meters. But never the less it took 10 hits before dying. I was surprised that it didn't knock out any of the Pershings but on a second go around it did kill one Pershing before dying itself. I'm be a little more respectful around them in games. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Just for grins I pit 3 Pershings against one Jagpanther. You are correct that Jagpanther is tough. But the Pershing did knock it out after firing 10 shells and the Jagpanther failed to kill any of the Pershing but this actually was at 1200 meters. But never the less it took 10 hits before dying. I was surprised that it didn't knock out any of the Pershings but on a second go around it did kill one Pershing before dying itself. I'm be a little more respectful around them in games. ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a test with JgPanthers the other day. I had 5 Elite JgPanthers against 24 M4A3 Shermans. Starting engagement range was like 1300 meters, IIRC. I gave "Hunt" orders to all 5 JgPanthers. After about 15 rounds, they had knocked out all Shermans. The only casualties were one JgPanther being immobilized I think and maybe one with gun damage.

The JgPanther's 88mm High-Velocity gun is really the best gun in the game next to the King Tiger's.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

I did a test with JgPanthers the other day. I had 5 Elite JgPanthers against 24 M4A3 Shermans. Starting engagement range was like 1300 meters, IIRC. I gave "Hunt" orders to all 5 JgPanthers. After about 15 rounds, they had knocked out all Shermans. The only casualties were one JgPanther being immobilized I think and maybe one with gun damage.

The JgPanther's 88mm High-Velocity gun is really the best gun in the game next to the King Tiger's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there the same gun...... as as are the nashorn, and the 88 AT gun....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

The JgPanther's 88mm High-Velocity gun is really the best gun in the game next to the King Tiger's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, begging to differ, the 14" naval gun can flip a KT over like a pancake.

Last winter after going to the bars and getting drunk. I came up with an idea. I have a test map setup. So I put 50 Pershings against 50 KTs on a square map. 800 meters apart. It took 4 turns and the KTs demoralized the pershings so bad it auto quit. They knocked out 47 of the pershings while losing 6 KTs. I then pitted the 50 KTs up against 50 super pershings and it took 6 turnd and the pershings were waxed. But this time they took 17 KTs with them while losing 49 tanks.

The map was 800X800 and open terrain level ground. It looked like something out of the cival war smile.gif

I did not even bother putting the JagdPanther or even worse the JagdTiger up against the allied best.

I think the Jagdtiger is a monster. That 128mm gun is murder.

Gen

P.S. Does anybody know if that 128mm gun on the JadgTiger is the same 128mm Flak gun the Germans used against allied bombers?

Well, I wouldn't call the Jagdpanther a superweapon but of course with proper use it can be one helluva bastard to get rid of when facing against them.

Initially I've had very bad luck using them (losing them on turns 1-2 or somefink like that). Then I learned to deploy them with much less wider firing arc so it won't turn far to face an off-angled target. And as with using the Big Cats, try engaging at 800+ meters. The 88mm/L71 is the best in the game in its sheer power and the Jagdpanther shares in it. Another factor is the 80mm of frontal armor at IIRC, 55 degrees. Tungsten? Bah...

Actually, if you think the Jagdpanther is a pain the rear, IMHO the Jagdpanzer IV or the improved version, the Panzer IV/70 (not to be confused with PzKpfw IVG-J) are the best German TDs. They cost much cheaper than the Jagdpanther since they "only" have the Panther's efficient gun instead of the long '88. The Jagdpanzer IV also have about 60mm of armor @ 55 deg. while the Panzer IV/70 has the same frontal armor value as the Jagdpanther. With the long-gunned 75mm you still retain outstanding soda can opening capabilities with a higher ROF than the 88 (overkill IMO against the majority of Western Allied armor). Add these up, and with proper usage and deployment you get more bang from these instead of Jagdpanthers. Not that I'd refuse a detachment of Jagdpanthers by any chance ;)

If you're running King Tigers vs. Pershings, something that I discovered on PBEM was that the KT is largely invulnerable beyond 1,000 metres to the 90mm gun - I had half a dozen shots ping off the turret and front armour. It's capable of taking out the Pershings, however, at that range and beyond. As soon as my opponent's Pershings got down to 950m, front turret penetration *sizzle*.

CMplayer

Member # 4371

posted 10-02-2001 02:01 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

The JgPanther's 88mm High-Velocity gun is really the best gun in the game next to the King Tiger's.

Well, begging to differ, the 14" naval gun can flip a KT over like a pancake.

-----------------------------------

Great! With the same accurancy and the same ROF? I will buy this 14" gun immediately

;)

This is so funny, I'm going to direct my TCP buddy to this thread.

On Sunday my Green 95mm Churchill MkVIII stupidly reported a puny PzIV to front and decided to take it on with a few hollow charges.

The second one brewed the target and my opponent promptly let out a stream of words which would make a sloshed sailor blush.

A few turns later I had closed up on the KO'd tank and found that it was actually a Jadgpanther. Worse still, it was 'Crack'!

The 'Green' Churchill dummies had placed a HC round through it's front at the second attempt.

I ran a test afterwards and normally a Churchill would not attempt to tackle an identified Jagdpanther, but would smoke and reverse like crazy.

Also, the Hollow Charge is barely able to penetrate the Jagpanther front so if they managed to hit, it often resulted in a non-fatal penetration.

But this time your German 'Superweapon' was easy prey to my confused but lucky Greenies, and instances like this are why I love this game :D

Ps. If you ever get to London be sure to go and see the Jagdpanther in the Imperial War Museum. It's a beast.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tools4fools:

Great! With the same accurancy and the same ROF? I will buy this 14" gun immediately

;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is Moulton who quotes British operational research of naval gun performance during Normandy that showed that 2.9% of 15" rounds landed in a 1 Acre (100mx100m?) area around the indicated targets. This was considered very good performance, IIRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I think it is Moulton who quotes British operational research of naval gun performance during Normandy that showed that 2.9% of 15" rounds landed in a 1 Acre (100mx100m?) area around the indicated targets. This was considered very good performance, IIRC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An acre is just over 63.5 meters squared.

The only experience I had with either the Jagdpanther or the Jagdtiger was in an ubertank duel with Speedbump. Both were set up in ambush positions among some brush on the front side of a hill. Both were taken out on the fly by a Jackson moving at full speed 175m in front of them.

That may also qualify for the 'Worst Movie' thread in the General Forum.

I concocted a scenario that put a lone JgdPanther hull-down at the head of a snow-covered valley with a mixed company of armor (including 76mm Jumbos and Jacksons) trying to fight their way the 1,600m up to the pass. The only way it could be done was to lay smoke on top of the beast then race a Jackson up at break-neck speed for a flank shot after the smoke cleared. Add a couple AT-guns protecting the JgdPanther's flanks and it was almost unbeatable.

I must admit the Jagdpanther is my baby smile.gif

As a kid my uncle bought me a huge model of one while he was in Korea. This model even had a battery operated option. You could install a little electric motor with a wire control. Forward and back. I loved it. Use to run over tons of those little army men. The scale between the men and the tank was way off, but that made the Jag even seem cooler!

I confess, I buy one every chance I get.

Once I took out 6 sermans with one in a few turns in a IP game. Only to be KO'ed by a Zook later!

Long live the best overall TD of the war!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

That oughtta be close enough to KIA a Jadgtiger, anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

only if you can convince it to come within range of the battleships.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rodimzew:

Does anybody know if that 128mm gun on the JadgTiger is the

same 128mm Flak gun the Germans used against allied bombers?

Yes, it was an adaption...same way as the 88mm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In _Company Commander_ they run into several large batteries of the things. IIRC they had timed fuses which made wicked airbursts over the advancing infantry.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

only if you can convince it to come within range of the battleships.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

500 pound bombs do a nice job on them boxy kraut rustbuckets too...

The Jagdpanther is nice and everything but the real champ of the TD is the Hetzer. It's small, can easily take advantage of terrain, it's radically sloped armor forces most shots to just bounce, and it's 75mm gun is good enough to take out all but the heaviest Allied armor. It's also bloody cheap. They are are a pain the backside and they are tough to take out most of the time. I love them. Not as sexy the Tiger, Jagdtiger, or jagdpanther but overall the better buy in most cases.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commissar:

The Jagdpanther is nice and everything but the real champ of the TD is the Hetzer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They also bog a hell of a lot less. The best antidote to a Jagdpanther is a rainy day. Not so "uber" when the Stuarts start swarming around their backsides. smile.gif