A chance to ride on a B-17?

There is a B-17 at the Van Nuys, CA airport this weekend and the public can ride for $375 for half an hour. I saw the plane on the news and it looks like a G model with a full complement of .50s and it is flown by WWII vets. Anyone think the experience is worth the price? Sorry if this is OT.

While I've never been up in a B-17, I have ridden in a Ju-52, a C-47, the only flying DC-2, and I actually have a little T-6 stick time. Flying in these old birds is quite a rush, and the opportunities to do so are few and far between, and become less certain with every passing year. Go for the ride while you can.

I submitted my application for a ride on Sunday 4/22. We'll see what happens. Anyone want to go with me? Kitty? smile.gif

I called them up on the phone and found out all flights are sold out. Oh well.

[ 04-21-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

My father in law took a flight on a B-17 for about the same price, and claimed it was a bargain. I guess for 400 bucks you get a story to tell for a lifetime, so....

As for Oshkosh, that is to be seen to be believed. At one point I was looking out the gun turret of a B-17 watching another one take off. Quickest 9 hours of my life, seemed like 15 minutes.

I got to go up on one a couple of years ago. The flight took us over the Statue of Liberty, and seeing that from a B-17s nose is something not easily forgotten. smile.gif

It was on the YAF's B-17, Yankee Lady, and at several points I was overcome by the atmosphere and ended up "claiming" an "attacking" C-172 from the top turret. ;)

I was at an airshow about 12 years ago at the Beaver County Pa airshow when a B-17 (the 909) was carrying passengers, caught a windgust and ran off the end of the runway and down a steep hill. I have some photos of the wreckage. It was damaged so badly they had to keep it at the airport and rebuild it. Not sure if anyone was killed.

I hate to see old airplanes in bad shape. :( Last year at the Reading Airshow (It's actually a WWII extravaganza-the entire field is basically turned into a front-line WWII airbase with mock battles and all-check it out) the YAF C-47 ended up in bad shape. It appeared to have landed on one wheel, but I'm not sure exactly what happened.

If ANYONE has a chance to go up in a vintage airplane (esp. WWII) just do it, don't ask! smile.gif

Ryan, DO IT!!! I took the ride last fall, her in PA and it was worth every cent.

All those years of riding in my fathers Ford Station Wagon in the rear fold up seats, pretending I was the tail gunner became a reality.

The grace,beauty and power of this aircraft is beyond words.

As a pilot I have had the opportunity to fly helicopters, jets, and aerobatic aircraft. The B-17 surpasses them all in it's ability to capture your heart and it gives you a brief glimpse into the daily routine of the crews that took it to work every day.

Thanks for all the feedback, but as I posted above all the flights are sold out. I suppose airing a story about the plane on the news Friday night didn't hurt the bookings. The plane will be at Santa Barbara next, but I won't be able to take off from work to go. :( I might go for a walkthrough though and at least get to see the plane in the air. Hopefully they will come back again sometime soon. A few years ago there was a B-24 at the local airport where I lived in Florida. I took a walkthrough but my parents wouldn't pay for me to fly (bastards!). I did come away with about a foot of .50 ammo though (sold as souvenirs).

Ryna,

"The plane will be at Santa Barbara next, but I won't be able to take off from work to go. "

I've got three words for you CALL IN SICK smile.gif Tell them you've got a case of the Schweinfurt Flu. Anyone savvy enough to figure it out, shouldn't care ;)

Kevin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scooter:

Its $275 for a 30 minute ride. They're coming to Sacramento and since my wife's dad flew in one during the war, I had to check it out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$275? Where do you see that?

The page -

https://secure.eaa.org/B17/securejoin_B17.html

Flight Experience on Aluminum Overcast - (Non-EAA Member Only) = $375

I'd do it for $275.

Yeah, I would do it in a heartbeat. For twice the money, even.

I was extremely fortunate to get a ride in Rousch's P-51 a few years back. It is the one painted like Anderson's "Old Crow" I got about 45 minutes in it, complete with rolls and a loop. :D Unforgetable!