Where did you the first time heard about CM? (poll)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a preview on a computer game magazine web site (cdmag?) a couple of weeks before the beta demo came out. October 1999? I downloaded the beta within a couple of days of its release, and it's been ruining my life ever since eek.gif

I'm guessing it was the spring of '98 also. Found out by taking a shot in the dark look at Avalon Hills' site. Sure enough there was CSL in development and a link to a BigTimeSoftware site. I checked it once a week or so until the message board went up. Since then it has been everyday. I still have it bookmarked. Lurked until last fall because if you were reading the board back then you'll remember that people knew their **** and I never felt like a knucklehead would add anything to the conversation.

Oh yeah..one other thing. That first link to BTS even had the now infamous line "When will it be done? When it's done."

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Hey everyone!

As my first official post, let me just say that I learned about CM in the review in PC Gamer magazine. I've always been looking for a game like this ever since I played the (at the time) excellent Under Fire on the Apple II computer. Surely some of you remember that.

SJ

I had heard about a game being develope that would be like ASL and began to follow it's progress. It went off my radar screen only to return as something called Combat Mission. I watched and waited for the Demo (beta). When that came out I bought a new computer (my old 486 couldn't handle the game). So 1st heard 2 years ago (?) first active date of participation Nov, '99.

I was idly surfing and checking in on Combatsim.com, and they are usually real

low key on reviews, but this time they were

oooh and aaahing so I knew something was up as scooted on over here and the rest was history.

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

I didn't really know about CM until Computer Games Online announced it was ready to purchase. I bought it after looking at a few screen shots and determining whether my computer could handle the game. (It can, but barely - I just ordered a PIII 933 MHz tonight)

I don't know how I didn't know about CM before. I think I recall seeing it mentioned in the CGO forums, but I guess I never checked it out.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

I did see a brief article about it in Strategy Plus well over a year ago, but didn't think about it much then.

It wasn't until I started having the occassional lunch with one of the CM beta testers that my interest increased (all he would talk about is how great the beta CM was, what they were currently working on, and what would be in the package once released).

Ahhhhh, those were the days!

Mace

Read about it long ago in my SL days as computer squad leader....

After a couple years I totaly lost track of it until someone mentioned it on the CC forum. Came over here to check it out, downloaded the demo(9/99), and preordered the same day. Joined this wonderful forum shortly after. It is all I ever ask for...

Still looking for someone to come along and do a nice job on sniper or patrol though....

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 08-10-2000).]

Umm..I saw a review of CM in the review section of www.Combatsim.com which I visit

once in a while...

Pity I was only able to see the review two

days ago...I could have gotten the game before it was sold out.

But still, I have just placed my order..but

every minute seems eternal...

I wish there was an express delivery at an extra cost, for guys like me..who just cant

wait for the full game...SIGH..

Until I get the full game, I'd have to play the demo..

which is great fuuuun!!!!! even after zillion times playing it!!

Around March 99, in "Cyberstratège" magazine . This magazine was dedicated to computer strategy games, It doesn't exist any more by itself, It is now part of the tsrategy magazine (french) "Vae Victis" (ain't no pig latin here cool.gif ) which gave 5 out 5 review on CM and gave it a breakthrough award for wargaming biggrin.gif

------------------

Nicolas

http://perso.infonie.fr/nicolas.counio/combat_mission1.html

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

[This message has been edited by ncounio (edited 08-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

About the "carrier".

That's actualyl Steve's M29 weasel and one of the reprobates in it is Steve. The other is Moon.

Sorry, i haven't readed that lines of text:

"Our site is also packed with cool stuff to check out, like our page of camouflage uniforms or videos of us shooting off a flamethrower or MP44. Plus, what website do you know of that has a 1944 WWII M29c Weasel for its staff to drive around in?"

:0

****fy-looking pair aren't they? wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes they are! biggrin.gif

Tony.

I believe after seeing incredible reviews by Computer Game Magazine (CD-Mag), and Gamespot (Computer Gaming World), I knew it had to be awesome. I thought the graphics looked terrible on BTS's website, so I tried the demo with little expectations, and was blown away!! I ordered it within 1 hour of playing the demo.

I first read about CM in Combatsim's preview a year back. I got excited by the concept and the 3-D shots, so I signed up for the BTS email that kept me posted until the game came out. I bought it immediately. Strangely, Combatsim has pretty much ignored CM since.

CM is the perfect blend for me of combat planning and 3-D action. I spent time with CC2 Market Garden and Panzer Elite previously, but could not get into them.

I must say that finding this active forum and the CM HQ support site have made CM even sweeter. Let's keep it going.

------------------

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can be used against you....

Sometime in August '99 I think. About the time when Hidden & dangerous came out. Wasn't impressed with it then. (Compared graphics to H&D and got turned off.) But then in January 2000 clicked on one of the advertisement banners and discovered that the Beta Demo was out. Downloaded the demo and got hooked when I heard the machineguns and tracers a flyin'.

Became the notorious Forum member "Ol' Blood & Guts" and then during a Forum screw up I changed my name to "Maximus", so hence the name "Ol' Blood & Maximus (Butticus)"

Now I just download scenarios and work on winter textures. For everything has been taked about already.

------------------

Be sure and check out my texture mods on CMHQ.

Dave "Ol' Blood & Maximus Butticus" Molinarolo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mortiis

Review in gamespot. Couldnt believe my eyes, never saw a serious ww2 game with such nice graphics. Was in the middle of playing western/eastern front when I found out about this game, now my shogun, eastern front/western front are gathering dust, wish I found out about this game beforehand and saved myself a truckload of money wink.gif. So you see buying cm can save you in the long run

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Winston Churchill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, was about.. one maybe two months before the beta demo came out thank goodness. I was over on the CC2 site playing some of the regulars and someone gushed about it, so I checked it out. I loved the look of it but it was Fionn and Moon's AAR that REALLY hooked me.

(GUYS! SOMEONE DO A GOLD RELEASE AAR AND PUT IT ON THIS SITE! IT SOLD ME AND I'M SURE IT SOLD -MANY- OTHERS! Hell, i'll do the ARR? Anyone? BTS? Someone?)

Anyway, I watched, followed, ranted and stuff. I'm not really a wargamer, (my other two favourate recent games have been counter strike.. (my god am I adicted to that) and Vampire). But I have always loved CC 1 + 2, and other 'pretty' but 'realistic' wargames.

So obviously CM was hot for me! And I for it.. phwoa.

I've got to just add in here. I can't believe how cool the random battle generator is. I'm playing like, 4 PBEM's right now and on each one the map is interesting and challenging, WELL DONE BTS!

Rant mode off. smile.gif

PeterNZ

Read rave review at Combatsim.com about 3 weeks ago,followed the link to battlefront.com dowmloaded the Gold Demo and have been hooked ever since.(wish my full version would hurry up and get here frown.gif )

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!