Where did you the first time heard about CM? (poll)

It was July 5th of this year and my Brother showed me "a great game". As a lover of Close Combat I instantly saw that CM was superior (and have given my CC disks away).

I also knew I would like it when I noted Charles name as I had built scenarios for his

Flight Commander II game and knew his "style"

I haven't been disappointed

PS Hey REDLEG you 13B or A?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some saint posted a message about CM on the Panzer Elite board, suggesting that CM was really worth a look. My life hasn't been the same since...sniff. As my son and I were driving around in the Ardennes last week, we were taking notes about the countryside, planning to create wonderful scenarios about battles in towns like Clervaux. What a way to spend our European vacation (his first, my 15th). Anyway, I forget who first turned me on to CM, but I will thank him eternally.

der Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Malmvig:

Thanks to Phil the Dill we now know where we all come from cool.gif

Now - When and where did you learned of the existence of CM?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I first heard of Combat Mission in a review, I believe it was Computer Gamming World.

Cav

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."-Bertrand Russell

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the Axis--an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business."-D. W. Brogan, The American Character

Hi Hans

'I instantly saw that CM was superior (and have given my CC disks away).'

Yes I agree with you that when playing CM, Close Combat seems a bit unrealistic. I especially miss the difference in terran level and the LOS tool smile.gif

Henrik Malmvig

I was looking for this game before it existed. My little pea brain was connecting the possibilities of computer + wargame as soon as it learned that computers were a real possibility for ordinary Joe Blow.

As for wargames I played them before I knew one could buy them. I made them up from BBs, wooden blocks, and the real plastic soldiers, pencil and paper or chalk, blackboard and carved balsawood, the good earth and plasticine clay terrain. From even real kids and the neighborhood nearby, I been soldiering. Even played with reenactors a couple of times. I thought about hexes as a medium of terrain in the '50's before I could make them properly(never did, found hex paper first.

Squad Leader seemed to me the apex of board gaming, so I even started learningsome programing on the old apple 2+ hoping to put the tables into readily accessable form to take some of the hassle out of playing that wonder. Life intruded to draw that project out into such a thin line that it never fininshed.

Then came a long wait, thumbing computer magizines hoping to catch a line that promised the computer would doing the boreing stuff.

But, as board games and computers kept coming, then the game console, computer games and finally, Wolfinstein and Doom things arrived. What A shame I thought. This 3d technology is being wasted on foolishness.

I caught a magizine article on AH finally getting of the old duff and actually marrying SL and the computer. Well that went south, but we got CC anyway. It was interesting and showed promise. I bought it and tried it. Never became an addict, but did not complain about the purchase price. Even bought a sequel, as much to put a little salve on the raw places made by rubbing old lamps etc in hopes something would work to head further in the right direction, as to have a second verse of CC.

I did a check on AH as I got I-Net capabiity and low and behold they were giving it another whirl. Now this is when I could say I got on to the CM bandwagon. I can't fix that in time, except that it was not long before AH itself went south and Computer Squadleader appeared to be dead until the miracle of the dynamic dual dose of doing it right in the persons of Steve and Charles picked up the pieces, and under Bigtime Software carried on to new hights of game design.

Now, I been looking into the crystal ball too long to see the process stopping with CM of what ever number be it 5 or 10 or more.

As computers get more capable, and programing gets more expert, and programing experts get additionally imaginative, I believe we can expect to find even bigger and better packages under the Christmas Tree.

Last night I dreamed the Forum was flaming and smoking over the issue of whether to utilize the computer's capability to bleed, smell of fresh wounds and of death, and whether Steve and Charles would be liable for the combat fatigue cases of players overcome in the virtual reality of their latest game design. I was in tears because I had grown too old to pass the necessary physical players were obligated take in order to qualify for purchase. I am 62 until October. Just how difficult is that physical? I ain't too far from that dreadful disqualification now!

[This message has been edited by Bobbaro (edited 08-22-2000).]

After 57 replies I think it would be time to summary the result:

Wargamer: 2

From a Friend: 3

CloseCombatForum: 5

CDMAG: 6

CGW: 2

Other: 9

Avalon Hill: 5

GameSpot: 3

Combatsim: 5

Strategy Plus: 1

Computer Games Online: 1

Games Domain: 1

SL:1

AVAULT: 1

SPWAW: 1

ACW Game Club: 1

PCGamer: 1

Panzer Elite Board: 1

Atomic: 1

BTS: 2

Unknown:5

There are replies from people that had heard of CM as early as '97! I think they got good value for their patience smile.gif The number counted under Avalon Hill gives away an indication of the interest from the SL society.

Henrik Malmvig

I first found out about CM about a month ago in the GameSpot reviews. Downloaded the demo that night and ordered the game a day later....had to wait for the 3rd printing though!

------------------

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

--Dr. Strangelove--

I subscribe to Mac Addict magazine, and the demo appeared in the fun and games section of their monthly cd.

Now, no jokes about my being a mac user-I own a pc also (old, slow, bad), but I prefer the mac system. So lay off. (A pre-emptive strike, as it were.)

I was a Squad Leader player, and am only learning the history of CM form this thread.

The Close combat series was "supposed" to be the electronic SL, wasn't it, until Atomic had those problems a few years back ('95, maybe '96)?

Well, I love CM, and I won't go back to that other game!

------------------

Ugati: You despise me, don't you Rick?

Rick Blaine: If I gave you any thought I probably would.