Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

The upshot of all of this is Combat Mission will get a huge production boost without losing its focus.  I can say that for sure because there's already 2x (closing in on 3x) more people working on Combat Mission already and all of Battlefront is part of that.  We started ramping up almost 2 months ago, just as an FYI, and we're VERY happy with how it is going.

Interesting news. Especially this.

Congrats Steve and best of wishes moving forward. CM was the game that brought me into hardcore wargaming back in the early 2000, I have all the titles including Afghanistan and I'm very much looking forward to the next gen of CM games! Over the years it's become more and more difficult to go back to CMx2 as the engine has not aged particualry well so this is exciting news!Congrats Steve and best of wishes moving forward. CM was the game that brought me into hardcore wargaming back in the early 2000, I have all the titles including Afghanistan 😛 and I'm very much looking forward to the next gen of CM games! Over the years it's become more and more difficult to go back to CMx2 as the engine has not aged particualry well so this is exciting news!

4 minutes ago, markshot said:

Question:

I have read the Slitherine announcement.  So, my saved CM Installers are now worthless files as there are no longer any activation savers.  So, I must register all my games and DLC with Steam and then download new installers?

It would not be possible to just give Slitherine (I have a Matrix/Slitherine account already), my Battlefront store account and get everything transferred over to their system automatically?

No, not Steam necessarily.

Slitherine has CM installers that are not BFC and not Steam. Simple serial number activation scheme. Was the go-to way to install CMx2 for a while.

4 minutes ago, markshot said:

Question:

I have read the Slitherine announcement.  So, my saved CM Installers are now worthless files as there are no longer any activation savers.  So, I must register all my games and DLC with Steam and then download new installers?

It would not be possible to just give Slitherine (I have a Matrix/Slitherine account already), my Battlefront store account and get everything transferred over to their system automatically?

No, not Steam necessarily.

Slitherine has CM installers that are not BFC and not Steam. Simple serial number activation scheme. Was the go-to way to install CMx2 for a while.

8 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

That and having an ex-Unity employed programmer helps too :)  He's teaching Charles all kinds of things about Unity, Charles is teaching him about the importance of smoke discharger angles.  It's a win win for you guys, that's for sure!

Steve

Has it been decided in an announcable way whether WEGO will be kept? Would hate for the Unity move coming with RTS mode only.

Well the plan is going ahead..

Great news..

As I noted in 2021

😉

We are not getting any younger.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, Holien said:

For me the tie in with Slitherine allows Charles and Steve to have an exit plan from the business and if they can get a youngster involved who has the same passion the series might continue onwards.

Also the tie in with the military helps keep the game engine alive in the future years...

So a win win for everyone.

Edited by Holien

2 minutes ago, markshot said:

Sorry, I meant with Slitherine (I must register with Slitherine to get new stand alone installers)?  I purchase Engine V3 and Engine V4 upgrades.  I don't see Slitherine product entries for these?  Not needed?

Not needed on the v3/v4.

Needed on the Slitherine account.

Edited by Redwolf

14 minutes ago, markshot said:

Question:

No, your saved Battlefront versions will install and activate as normal. If you have your games up and running now then there is nothing that you need to do.

If you need to reinstall something need to get the Matrix/Slitherine version or use your saved installer. 

The difference is that any new patches or content will only be available for the Matrix/Slitherine versions.

2 minutes ago, markshot said:

Sorry, I meant with Slitherine (I must register with Slitherine to get new stand alone installers)?  I purchase Engine V3 and Engine V4 upgrades.  I don't see Slitherine product entries for these?  Not needed?

Redwolf is correct.  You just need to have the most recent keys for your games.  The Slitherine side is "smart" enough to know if you have that then you have the earlier ones too.

And what John said :)

What people will want to do is manually move over their "end user" files (saves, battles, mods, etc.) from the old BFC install to the new Matrix install.  Then delete the old BFC install to save harddrive space and avoid confusion of which one you're running.

Steve

Elvis,

If I use my old BFC installer, I will require server activation (eLicense) and Internet access.

If I use my Slitherine Installer and BFC code, then my install will be totally local; no Internet.

Elvis, I am not trying to nitpick, but I live in a part of the world which may eventually be on the wrong side of the East|West divide.  I don't want to lose the games I bought (and no activation server is actually best for me).

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Has it been decided in an announcable way whether WEGO will be kept? Would hate for the Unity move coming with RTS mode only.

What I will say is that the core of what made CM2 special/unique isn't going away.  Made better is our goal :)

I guess I should also say that we've been at this for many years already, so I'm not talking about theory as much as I am reality.

Steve

9 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

No, your saved Battlefront versions will install and activate as normal. If you have your games up and running now then there is nothing that you need to do.

If you need to reinstall something need to get the Matrix/Slitherine version or use your saved installer. 

The difference is that any new patches or content will only be available for the Matrix/Slitherine versions.

OK so if I understand correctly, as a former BFC customer, I need to register to Slitherine, download the 4 games I own and install them in order to be able to get the latest updates.

I just went on Slitherine CMRT bundle page, requirements information: WIndows, Windows, Windows.

So as a Mac customer, how am I supposed to proceed?

Like many of us here, I have been here since the beginning. Have very, very fond memoires of CMBO in 2000, and played PBEM extensively through CMBO/CMBB/CMAK (under various forum names as I lost access to them over the years) which shifted into CMx2 up to now. Like someone else mentioned in here, I also got married that year and my wife has put up with CM for 24 years as well! I also play ASL extensively, and CM is the closest thing I can get to ASL, outside of ASL.

Steve and everyone at BFC, as a business owner as well who has fielded this exact situation, but passed on it multiple times, I am very happy that you all found someone to sell too that shares your vision, and has brought over your current employees. That is such a huge win - and what I have not found yet, and why I have passed offers on my end. Congrats on that - we dont live forever and having your company of 20 or 30 years have a future in someone who believes in your same vision is very critical for those of us who lie in bed at night and think on these things and how it will affect our employees.

For the future of CM, I am very happy that love is coming for CMx2 and CMx3 is underway. Keep up the hard work! Am on the road right now, but will start a separate thread, if someone doesnt beat me to it, of what makes CM unique in this ever competitive space of tactical computer games. With many choices out there, there are a number of core components that make CM not only unique, but the best option out there for tactical computer simulations.

Again, congrats and keep up the hard work! And dont forget to drop bones for us :)

Chad

21 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

What I will say is that the core of what made CM2 special/unique isn't going away.  Made better is our goal :)

I guess I should also say that we've been at this for many years already, so I'm not talking about theory as much as I am reality.

Steve

WEGO is a core element of CM. I am very glad to hear that there are no plans to leave WEGO. Everyone has their taste, and CM does a great job of allowing you to play the way you want, but I have never played real time. WEGO is such a core element of the CM experience, and part of what defines it in my opinion, that CM wouldnt be CM without WEGO. Glad it is sticking around.

Edited by SonsofUltramar

15 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

So as a Mac customer, how am I supposed to proceed?

The download links in your purchase history no longer provide links to download the Mac versions. Here is a link that includes all CM2 Mac versions:

https://battlefront.sharefile.com/public/share/web-s9b2f9f93b18a4142b2ccdf1279529412

Reinstalling is the same as it has always been. And the Battlefront license keys in your account will activate them, as before.

If you run into any problems please reach out to the Support Team by emailing us at support@slitherine.co.uk

There is a thread set up for it so that it will always be available:

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/144317-attention-mac-users/

1 minute ago, SonsofUltramar said:

WEGO is a core element of CM. I am very glad to hear that there are no plans to leave WEGO. Everyone has their taste, and CM does a great job of allowing you to play the way you want, but I have never played real time. WEGO is such a core element of the CM experience, and part of what defines it in my opinion, that CM wouldnt be CM without WEGO. Glad it is sticking around.

Hopefully we get VCR controls in TCP mode back.

Not that that has anything to do with Unity.

2 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

The download links in your purchase history no longer provide links to download the Mac versions. Here is a link that includes all CM2 Mac versions:

https://battlefront.sharefile.com/public/share/web-s9b2f9f93b18a4142b2ccdf1279529412

Reinstalling is the same as it has always been. And the Battlefront license keys in your account will activate them, as before.

If you run into any problems please reach out to the Support Team by emailing us at support@slitherine.co.uk

There is a thread set up for it so that it will always be available:

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/144317-attention-mac-users/

Thank you. Will my current games still work with the Slitherine version?

Quick question for the team.  There has been info (and links) provided to the Mac OS installers to reinstall currently owned CM games.  However, I looked on both the Steam and the Slitherine sites and don't see any options to purchase Mac OS versions.  With this changeover, how would one purchase a Mac OS version of a CM game (say CMFB, for instance)?  Thanks.

Cheers,

Jeff