Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

what's with the hostility over on discord ?

Just a general like , what the hell was that about.....lol

just finished chatting with someone on discord server over "horrible views and crappy camera controls"

I didn't get nasty with him, just kept a defense posture that i don't see how the camera controls are that bad, and its certainly not a game killer lol

maybe its the youth these days? they don't seem to have any tolerance for anything thats not how they want it. and anyone thing thats bad or a negative then its a bad game...

even to the extent he vented to the community like were fan boys and just not wanting the game to progress, like, wth is that about???? lol.

its like going out driving on a sunday morning..lol

and apparently he's been scammed $200 cos he saw someone else saying how the camera controls were bad, without doing further research like free demo, youtube videos, articles

????  almost got thinking he was a bot or something.. 

Bubba.. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

even to the extent he vented to the community like were fan boys and just not wanting the game to progress, like, wth is that about???? lol.

Bubba.. 

I've seen this become a popular cry among young users (not all young users) over the last 10 years in a couple of forums for games I have played for 20+ years.  They will say anyone that posts about how the game is good let's the developer slack off and not make further improvements. Throwing your toys out of the crib is the way to get things done according to these users. 

Many, I won't say all because I know it's not all, of these young posters, IE " the tolerant crowd" aren't tolerant at all if you don't agree with whatever they are going on about. There is no middle ground. You are wrong and any name they call you is deserved. Just remember to never call them out because, "that's not being tolerant". lol

This is a quote I ran across on another game forum. 

"If someone offers an explanation for why something may be why it is without proof then they are blindly defending or making excuses

If someone insults or accuses the devs of incompetence/wrongdoing without proof it’s acceptable.

Never figured that out"

Lot's of truth in those words. 

Edited by Sweed59

Posted (edited)

The illusion which exalts us is dearer to us than ten thousand truths.
— Aleksandr Pushkin, The Hero ll. 64-65, quoted in Gooseberries by Anton Chekhov

The great irony of the "Information Age" is in how it has allowed disinformation to flourish. The phenomena isn't limited to the younger posters, there are plenty of 'gray beards' that immediately assume that their opinion is fact, without a single shred of evidence to support their claim. They are all to willing to ignore contrary opinions, no matter how well reasoned the counter arguments may be.

The situation is bad enough when there is an objective 'truth' - that requires evidence and facts - involved, It becomes even worse when the argument is over something subjective, often times becoming a matter of taste or preference - 'to-may-to' versus 'to-mah-to'.

Arguing with such posters becomes tiresome and is a waste of time, you're not going to convince them. I value keeping my calm and not engaging and am the happier for it. 😎

Edited by OldSarge
added Pushkin quote

@Bubba883XL

This is the exact first comment you contributed to the conversation:

"sounds like a idiot"

What is wrong with you? Turn off your screen and learn how to socialize with people. 

Your claim to be a saint is hilarious when you were the person causing problems. Further, this post on the forums is completely unnecessary. 

To the rest of you - I suggest you do your own investigating before spouting drivel on the matter. 

On the subject of hotkeys - yeah theyre absolute garbage and need to be updated. I've already posted about this before on these forums. I said that the wack hotkeys are bound to dissuade people from playing these games. As longtime players of CM, you guys should know that theres a hotkey file that can be altered. And that should be mentioned. 

No other game has a hotkey pattern thats similar to CM. It's inefficent and confusing. It has to go. 

But I like my hot keys they way they are. Why all this complaining :D

Yeah sorry I couldn't resist a little poke hope you laugh at / with me rather than get upset by it - if we were face to face I would have said it with a grin and raised my glass to you after. Just so you know I wasn't being serious.

On 7/4/2024 at 10:06 PM, Redwolf said:

Is that the official Discord server or the real one?

Bound to be the inofficial/"real" one. I went on there once and didn't last the hour before I sighed and left again. Never come across a Discord as filled to the brim with chronically online and socially inept people before or ever after (knock on wood).

Edited by Anthony P.
Mistakenly wrote "official" instead of "inoffical"

On 7/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, Bubba883XL said:

Just a general like , what the hell was that about.....lol

just finished chatting with someone on discord server over "horrible views and crappy camera controls"

I didn't get nasty with him, just kept a defense posture that i don't see how the camera controls are that bad, and its certainly not a game killer lol

maybe its the youth these days? they don't seem to have any tolerance for anything thats not how they want it. and anyone thing thats bad or a negative then its a bad game...

its like going out driving on a sunday morning..lol

and apparently he's been scammed $200 cos he saw someone else saying how the camera controls were bad, without doing further research like free demo, youtube videos, articles

????  almost got thinking he was a bot or something.. 

Bubba.. 

Ngl, CMx2 is very much something from the mid 2000s, and we're now in the mid 2020s. A lot of QoL features which are baked into modern games simply don't exist for CM.

My pet peeve is that it's very difficult and tedious to move units. In a battalion sized scenario in CMCW which I streamed, I had to make over 1000 waypoints in one turn just to get out of my deployment zone and through a chokepoint.

On 7/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, Artkin said:

@Bubba883XL

This is the exact first comment you contributed to the conversation:

"sounds like a idiot"

What is wrong with you? Turn off your screen and learn how to socialize with people. 

Your claim to be a saint is hilarious when you were the person causing problems. Further, this post on the forums is completely unnecessary. 

To the rest of you - I suggest you do your own investigating before spouting drivel on the matter. 

On the subject of hotkeys - yeah theyre absolute garbage and need to be updated. I've already posted about this before on these forums. I said that the wack hotkeys are bound to dissuade people from playing these games. As longtime players of CM, you guys should know that theres a hotkey file that can be altered. And that should be mentioned. 

No other game has a hotkey pattern thats similar to CM. It's inefficent and confusing. It has to go. 

Ok, 

Artkin, review and take some of your own advice.

You are also one that likes to throw Fuel on the fire all the time.

Why,  what is it getting you.  Well I know what it gets you, because I like to do it also, to peaple like you.

Almost anytime I see a post from you I know the chances of it being anything other than negative and or condensending is going to be very low.

Case in point.

(So maybe Bubba was out of line and made the issue more of a issue. I dont know or care)

But I do see you here determined to carry the fued on and be the inforcer for the other side ((good job)

The only post that has any substance is this

The great irony of the "Information Age" is in how it has allowed disinformation to flourish. The phenomena isn't limited to the younger posters, there are plenty of 'gray beards' that immediately assume that their opinion is fact, without a single shred of evidence to support their claim. They are all to willing to ignore contrary opinions, no matter how well reasoned the counter arguments may be.

The situation is bad enough when there is an objective 'truth' - that requires evidence and facts - involved, It becomes even worse when the argument is over something subjective, often times becoming a matter of taste or preference - 'to-may-to' versus 'to-mah-to'.

And on the Subject of Hotkey, which you have complained about  at least 100 times

OK, point noted, noted again and noted I really dont know if its 100 or 10 or a 1000 times.

Yes it could be improved, and yes it would be nice if it match other games.

But wait, what other games, which games are the standards, when was the standard created,

who said it was the standard, and who inforces the standard.

I just smile when people think that there was a standard to hold to. Likely when they worked on these games, there was more inconsistancy in general as to what was out there. 

If anyone knew the standard, if there was such a thing, these guys had worked for companies that would have known it, so they would have known it and what, just said screw it.

I could make the same complaint about phones, Why the helll can they not all operate the same. It is so frustrationg that they each have to have their own methods for commands and cannot even run on the same operating systems.

I dont know what CMx3 will bring when it comes to how it operates.

But I know enough to know that the features have even more options and there will be new ways to access those options.

I dont know what standard one would think they should be held to, but I can assume, no matter what they produce.

I am sure you will find fault with it no matter what efforts have been made. 

That is the only thing I am sure of.

Do you tell a painter how to paint, then why do you think you can tell a game designer how to design.

Just because you hang a painting on your wall, does not make you the expert. Just because you play computer games, it does not make you the expert.

14 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

Bound to be the official one. I went on there once and didn't last the hour before I sighed and left again. Never come across a Discord as filled to the brim with chronically online and socially inept people before or ever after (knock on wood).

You are sorely missed. :)

5 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

My pet peeve is that it's very difficult and tedious to move units. In a battalion sized scenario in CMCW which I streamed, I had to make over 1000 waypoints in one turn just to get out of my deployment zone and through a chokepoint.

In some ways i guess that this speaks to the quality of CM...

If you felt the need to individually plot the move of pretty much every unit in great detail as opposed to bunching them together in larger groups an having the AI move them...

Not many other games shares the level of detail that CM has when it comes to terrain and such...

1 hour ago, CarlXII said:

As opposed to bunching them together in larger groups an having the AI move them...

I did. You still have to move the waypoints individually or in small groups when there are chokepoints and terrain obstacles to navigate, otherwise the convoys fall apart.

Edited by Grey_Fox

15 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

Never come across a Discord as filled to the brim with chronically online and socially inept people before or ever after (knock on wood

Tbh, the Ukraine thread is full of these types.

17 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Tbh, the Ukraine thread is full of these types.

True, but thosetypes rarely seem to venture outside of it. If they'd been setting that persistent tone for the entire forum, I'd likely have given this place a miss too.

But fortunately the forum really is quite nice.

Edited by Anthony P.

FPS game players who are stymied by a non FPS game. CM was recently voted the 'best wargame' (I forget the real title) but its not Ghost Recon so they don't know how to play it.

Edited by MikeyD

Ha! Maybe there's something to be said for having grown up in a time when you had to maintain at least a modicum of social skills not to be shunned by the limited number of people in your physical, real life world... or even just not to get socked in the jaw.