Tank Tactical Problem Series (German)

EDIT

Thanks to @Monty's Mighty Moustache who picked up a briefing error in TTP No2. This has been amended and the attached zip file below has the updated file.

This series of three missions is very loosely based on several of the ‘Tank Battle Problems’ detailed in the Nafziger publication ‘the German Tank Platoon in WWII: Its Training and Employment in battle’.

Whilst the series of ‘problems’ outlined in the book appear to be pre/early war I have updated the fundamental concepts to a later period in the war i.e. 1944.

The key intent of these tank tactical problems is to give the player new to using German armour an opportunity to use them in a more doctrinally ‘correct’ manner within the limitations of the Combat Mission game engine.

This series complements the German halftrack (SPW)/panzergrenadier training lessons in the CMRT Battlepack 1 where the main focus is on using SPW in Combat Mission.

For the tactical problem series the German player uses Panzer IVs. This tank was used in significant numbers during the war and though starting to become outclassed by 1944 by the Soviet T-34/85 was still a significant part of the tank strength of most panzer divisions. Though Panthers were slowly starting to form the main panzer strength in the panzer regiments. The player cannot rely on superior armour/armament to bully through this series as the Panzer IV’s armour is comparatively speaking, inadequate. 

All the missions are best played as German Vs Soviet AI. 

There are NO German AI plan. 

Each tactical problem has a ‘Tactical Top Tips’ at the end of each briefing (under ‘notes’) which may help the player new to using tanks in Combat Mission get the most out of them.

Plan is when done to convert them to Soviet versions so players can contrast.

If you get a chance to give em a whirl I'd appreciate any and all feedback thank you.

5JuindK.png

xPoDA8f.png

gLusKcV.png

You download  https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/cmrt-german-tank-tactical-problems/

Edited by George MC

4 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Thank you very much @George MC

I'm so bad at playing the Germans in CMRT... Eaxactly the kind of lessons I need to supplement the SPW training scenarios! 👍

Now I know what I will do once I'm down with "The Scottish Corridor"!

Once I'm done... 😡

I'm not down yet!!!

I have that book. Great idea. Another testament to the CM series that training scenarios remain valued by new and long time players. 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:32 PM, George MC said:

the Nafziger publication ‘the German Tank Platoon in WWII: Its Training and Employment in battle’.

Thanks for these @George MC, I like to use scenarios such as these to hone tactics. I've played through the first scenario and without giving spoilers away it looks like I went exactly the way you were predicting. I got luck though and only suffered one casualty and that was through friendly fire.

I just fired up the second one and it seems the briefing is the same as for the first scenario. Not that it matters as it's clear what I need to do but thought I'd let you know. Not checked the third one (have to work now) but it might be worth double checking that one too.

MMM

On 7/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Thanks for these @George MC, I like to use scenarios such as these to hone tactics. I've played through the first scenario and without giving spoilers away it looks like I went exactly the way you were predicting. I got luck though and only suffered one casualty and that was through friendly fire.

I just fired up the second one and it seems the briefing is the same as for the first scenario. Not that it matters as it's clear what I need to do but thought I'd let you know. Not checked the third one (have to work now) but it might be worth double checking that one too.

MMM

Ah brill - good to know it works! 

Re the second one - crap that's me probably uploaded the wrong briefing. I'll double check. Good catch ta. Actual briefing below.

Edited by George MC

22 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Thank you George MC.

Done the first one with a successful result, just started the second one :)

Ah brill :) Nice to hear. Trust you deal with the tactical problems? Have you checked out @37mm ‘s excellent vid of the first scenario? 

59 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Love watching how other players approach these things, I did it completely different.

MMM

Aye so did I - well three times different during AI plan testing and fettling. One attempt included the route 37mm took but it didn't work out as well for me :)

Although I haven't gotten around to playing yet, I'm very very glad that you made tutorials for tanks as well. I loved the SPW missions and learned a lot from them and I'm sure I'll love the tanks too. Thank you very much for providing them :)

3 hours ago, Dar7k said:
Although I haven't gotten around to playing yet, I'm very very glad that you made tutorials for tanks as well. I loved the SPW missions and learned a lot from them and I'm sure I'll love the tanks too. Thank you very much for providing them :)

Thank you - appreciate it :)

• 1 month later...

I'm calling this one done now.

I've created a wee handbook to go with the scenarios.

@Bootie would you be  able to do the honours and upload to TSDIII please? I managed to lock myself out of my account and currently trying to reset my password...

DONE - got back in and uploaded.

Everything you need is in the zip file. There is a website blurb, accompanying website image then the zip file with the scenarios and the accompanying PDF.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/cmrt-german-tank-tactical-problems/

Many thanks!

Cheery!

George

Edited by George MC

Thank you for the TTPs! I've only just found out about them and have only had the chance to make sure they load up correctly. I've the enjoyed the Lessons found in BP1 and found it very worthwhile for honing tactical skills.  So, I look forward to going to panzerschule.

The maps are very nice! The PDF is very well done and quite readable!

3 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Thank you for the TTPs! I've only just found out about them and have only had the chance to make sure they load up correctly. I've the enjoyed the Lessons found in BP1 and found it very worthwhile for honing tactical skills.  So, I look forward to going to panzerschule.

The maps are very nice! The PDF is very well done and quite readable!

Excellent :) Glad you like em. Aye I think they complement the BP1 SPW lessons, but be interested to see how it works out.

Yeah the maps allow various options to be used and there are multiple AI plans so hopefully lots of replayability.

Oh and glad you like the PDF :)

Thanks for your comments very much appreciated ta!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After weeks... months without having posted on this forum and even if I remain an avid reader via my tablet. I finally found time for myself and I even have the luxury of playing up to three scenarios a day.
I replayed and played @George MC entire series on the SDKFZ and tanks.
    What pleasure, what interest, what information
The sdkfz that I didn't know what to do with have become indispensable to me, even if as a passionate CM Normandie player, they rarely have the opportunity to show their full potential.
Lesson 3 spw is simply orgasmic,  the example of assault with the spw in film that you showed, I have done it several times!!!
TTp n3 The attack against pak is a must
On the other hand, I had to replay the TTP n2 attack against the city several times, without listening to George's advice, I suffered a lot (I couldn't help but imagine him watching me play, shrugging his shoulders eyes towards the sky muttering, they don't listen to these French.)
just a big thank you George