Annual look at the year to come - 2023

1 hour ago, benpark said:

It was about 2 years total spent on active FR work. That was along with Covid interferences. The team for FR was far smaller, as well. The work done on FR speaks for itself.

Fire and Rubble didn't involve creation of a new game and all the things that go into that, and covid also applies to CMCW.

44 minutes ago, IanL said:

We never see the chew gum part out here until he has fashioned a great looking bubble. OK maybe that analogy has run its course :D

29 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

In the UK, 'chewing gum' is not the same as 'bubble gum'.  Perhaps that's the problem?  Okay enough already 😄.

Hopefully this is his brand then...

Then we all should be good...

29 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Fire and Rubble didn't involve creation of a new game

Modules are about the same size as base games in terms of the amount of content (new scenarios/campaigns and new equipment/formations).

About the only differences between a new module and a new base game is that a new module doesn't involve installing a new application on your computer, and the new content will be thematically related to the base game it's a module for.

12 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

Modules are about the same size as base games in terms of the amount of content (new scenarios/campaigns and new equipment/formations).

About the only differences between a new module and a new base game is that a new module doesn't involve installing a new application on your computer, and the new content will be thematically related to the base game it's a module for.

Right. But the content for a game cannot be created until the game is completed, right? Which means that if you have a battle pack and a game that contains a similar amount of content, the new games content was completed on a shorter length of time than the battle pack content.

Edited by Grey_Fox

7 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Right. But the content for a game cannot be created until the game is completed, right? Which means that if you have a battle pack and a game that contains a similar amount of content, the new games content was completed on a shorter length of time than the battle pack content.

Ok, but Fire and Rubble was a module, not a Battle Pack. Battle Packs only add new scenarios and campaigns using the existing resources of the game. Modules create new resources, and are about as much work as a new game (all base games are running on the same engine, so neither modules nor base games have to create a game engine). All else being equal you would expect Battle Packs to be done faster than modules and base games*. But there is no reason to expect modules to be done faster than base games.

*Though, as was pointed out a few pages back, all else isn't equal. The teams who work on Battle Packs are made up of members of the community, not direct Battlefront employees. So they have day jobs interfering with work.

Edited by Centurian52

15 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Right. But the content for a game cannot be created until the game is completed, right?

I don't see why that would make sense? People regularly move content from one "game" to another so it would stand that each CM game has some sort of shared functional base. Combat Mission as a whole must know how to fire an ATGM so when it comes to Cold War I-TOW you wouldn't need to code ATGMs from scratch but add the needed stats for the M90A1.

So both a fresh game and a module are adding new content of roughly the same sort. The difference is that the module is plugging into an existing CM purchase. but this seems only important from a consumer POV.

CW

- units (models, stats, formations)

- textures

- maps

- campaigns/scenarios

FR

- units (models, stats, formations)

- textures

- maps

- campaigns/scenarios

The only new thing I can think of is that CW has DPICM.

Edited by Twisk

6 minutes ago, Twisk said:

So both a fresh game and a module are adding new content of roughly the same sort. The difference is that the module is plugging into an existing CM purchase. but this seems only important from a consumer POV.

A few years back i seem to recall that BFC stated something along the line that....

'A basegame will add NEW FEATURES...A module will not'

4 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

CMX1 - - - > CMBO (historical best seller to cover in a war game)

CMX2 - - - > CMBN (historical best seller to cover in a war game)

CMX3 - - - > probably Normandy again. (historical best seller to cover in a war game)

Considdering that BFC have spent the best part of a year...or even more on adding the STEAM feature to a 15 year old game...I kind of doubt that we will se a CM3 game for many years yet....

If they where a year or two away from releasing an entirely new gameengine (game) why would they do that...One of the main features of releasing CM2 on steam is to make updating the game easier as i understand it...If a CM3 game is released i highely doubt that BFC will spend much time on updateing CM2...Considdering the manpower situation with this company...

10 minutes ago, CarlXII said:

A few years back i seem to recall that BFC stated something along the line that....

'A basegame will add NEW FEATURES...A module will not'

What sort of features come with base games? The new features that come to my mind generally come with engine upgrades. 

8 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

What sort of features come with base games? The new features that come to my mind generally come with engine upgrades. 

I don't remember them all now...but i actually belive that to a large degree that has been the case...

Nothing major perhaps...but atleast something new each time...

Did we not get clusterammunition with CMCV for example...or a might be mistaking here 😎

4 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

You're not mistaken. We did get cluster munitions with CW. Though I generally thought of that as more of a new type of unit than a feature.

I tend to agree...But this 'feature' will be avaliable to any other CM game from now on....I belive that a few other minor things cam with CMCW but i can't recall right now...

I belive SNOW came with CMFB for example and that TRIGGERS were introduced with CMRT...I think 😊

Stuff like that...

51 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

. The teams who work on Battle Packs are made up of members of the community, not direct Battlefront employees.

The teams that make campaigns and scenarios for BFC are also members of the community who usually have day jobs unless they're retired.

Edited by Grey_Fox

2 minutes ago, benpark said:

It was a module, not a battle pack as you stated. That's about 2/3rds of a full game.

Yes, my apologies for that. So you can see how CMCW, a full game, had a significantly shorter development cycle than Fire and Rubble, which was "only" a module.

Edited by Grey_Fox

4 hours ago, benpark said:

It was about 2 years total spent on active FR work. That was along with Covid interferences. The team for FR was far smaller, as well. The work done on FR speaks for itself.

Yeah FR was the best release of any CM's. Selling it for only $35 is a hell of a deal. The maps are incredible. 

2 hours ago, CarlXII said:

Considdering that BFC have spent the best part of a year...or even more on adding the STEAM feature to a 15 year old game...I kind of doubt that we will se a CM3 game for many years yet....

If they where a year or two away from releasing an entirely new gameengine (game) why would they do that...One of the main features of releasing CM2 on steam is to make updating the game easier as i understand it...If a CM3 game is released i highely doubt that BFC will spend much time on updateing CM2...Considdering the manpower situation with this company...

ok, I am NO expert but let me state my 2 cent thoughts.

I think the STEAM feature was a process added to get that revenue and exposure because they have not much else going on it seems. After I think quite a few years of Steve saying no to Steam. I think the update to make STEAM capable process  if at first a stumper was pretty much then duplicated to each game. I think that should not be a gigantic hurdle if Charles is the brain they say he is.

I think BFC never knows how far they are away from things it seems. "Ready when it is ready". So, Steam was done and CMX3 might be here in year X or year Y. Who knows?

New Steam people see CMX2 and maybe generate the desire to get CMX3.

Maybe CMX2 updates being maybe easier is no big deal to BFC. They knuckled under. Somebody's wife needed new implants? A kid decided to do graduate school. Viagara aint free.

7 hours ago, IanL said:

I am fairly certain @Battlefront.com can walk and chew gum at the same time :D

perhaps steve should prove it.  To me, it seems that Elvis has been running the show single handed for the last couple of years, at least.   Comments he made recently, such as this below, regarding changes to Tournament scoring (which seems relatively important to me) - indicate he is acting alone.  Thank goodness someone's steering the ship.

"Which means if you guys don't like what I decide the parameters are then we are open to hearing your opinions and can change it..........If we're sold on the need to change it.  I think that what I have in mind will seem fair."

1 hour ago, PIATpunk said:

perhaps steve should prove it.  To me, it seems that Elvis has been running the show single handed for the last couple of years, at least.   Comments he made recently, such as this below, regarding changes to Tournament scoring (which seems relatively important to me) - indicate he is acting alone.  Thank goodness someone's steering the ship.

"Which means if you guys don't like what I decide the parameters are then we are open to hearing your opinions and can change it..........If we're sold on the need to change it.  I think that what I have in mind will seem fair."

As flattering as that is, it's a long way from what is happening.  I'm not at liberty (at this time) to comment further but Steve is neck deep in it right now. And most of that is for people who may see this post.