Where is Andy?

3 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

Andy formaly known as @Sgt.Squarehead comented frequently until his disapearance 14/2 2022. He made a lot of comments the last day here. I realy liked the guy. And his absence is notable.

And what happend to @Michael Emrys I know he was old. But his sudden disapearance in 2020 or so, was not expected.

1 minute ago, Armorgunner said:

Andy formaly known as @Sgt.Squarehead comented frequently until his disapearance 14/2 2022. He made a lot of comments the last day here. I realy liked the guy. And his absence is notable.

I assume he wasn't a russian? He sure liked the russkie tanks though. It seems his disappearance coincides with all those russian tank turrets launching into space... embarrassment?

Seriously, probably health reasons. Hopefully I am wrong, but I will wish him well anyway.

8 minutes ago, Blazing 88's said:

I assume he wasn't a russian? He sure liked the russkie tanks though. It seems his disappearance coincides with all those russian tank turrets launching into space... embarrassment?

Seriously, probably health reasons. Hopefully I am wrong, but I will wish him well anyway.

According to him self, he was British. But ho knows? Does not matter to me tho.

Edited by Armorgunner

37 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

Andy formaly known as @Sgt.Squarehead comented frequently until his disapearance 14/2 2022

Yes, I asked the same question here about his sudden absence:

Andy is (hopefully not was) definitely British.  I had been in pretty much daily contact with him up to that point and he had sent me parts and even full kits of 1/72nd scale WW2 tanks, all free of charge.  Lovely bloke, hope he returns...

23 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Yes, I asked the same question here about his sudden absence:

Andy is (hopefully not was) definitely British.  I had been in pretty much daily contact with him up to that point and he had sent me parts and even full kits of 1/72nd scale WW2 tanks, all free of charge.  Lovely bloke, hope he returns...

Then you know him better than me. I only had some sporadic contact with him in messages. I miss him tho. He was a frekvent comentator here.

Edited by Armorgunner

Sgt Squarehead had a tendency to post on every forum almost all the time 24/7.  My sense was he may have been a bit hyper/ADHD and got into rows quite frequently.  Have no idea why he isn't here any longer but my suspicion was that as BF wanted to appear to be a more serious forum for mil professionals re their UK MOD work, the Sgt may have been made "less welcome".  But, I really have no idea.

I don't think it's a forum holiday or ban and I don't really recognise that as a description of Andy.  In any case apart from a few occasions I've seen on 'The Thread' I think holidays and bans are unusual, and the date doesn't stack up with that timeline.

I searched elsewhere and found things but couldn't be sure what I was looking at unless I knew Andy's age.  My fingers are still crossed.

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Sgt Squarehead had a tendency to post on every forum almost all the time 24/7.  My sense was he may have been a bit hyper/ADHD and got into rows quite frequently.  Have no idea why he isn't here any longer but my suspicion was that as BF wanted to appear to be a more serious forum for mil professionals re their UK MOD work, the Sgt may have been made "less welcome".  But, I really have no idea.

Hahahaha, the idea that this place is any different from any other gaming forum is pretty funny. mil professionals indeed.

HHHmmmm.... I get a kick out of him too and I feel bad that I hadn't noticed his a him absence. I really hope that he's ok.

I've done a tiny bit of investigative work. His BFC store account does not use the same email address as his forum account. But he did use the same user name for his store account. I assume that it is his account (what are the chances that one person would have a forum user name of Stg.Squarehead and different person would have the same user name for a store account?) , although the account is in a woman's.  I'll shoot an email today. 

On 1/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, Armorgunner said:

We've done a bit of research and it looks like we did lose Andy/Sgt.Squarehead. An obituary had been found (not by me....so no link) of someone with his exact name in the town he lived in passing away last year on February 14th......The last day he was logged into this forum. 

Like you, I really liked the guy too. He always brought somefink and had a great sense of humor. 

I'd love to be wrong and have him post that the rumors of his death are greatly exaggerated. 

Yes sadly I think that's the case.  I found the obituary John mentioned, same name, same home address but I won't link it as it has other family details.  And John and I found other information elsewhere pointing to the same conclusion.  Like John I'm hoping we've got this wrong, and I'd like nothing better than Andy posting to say so.

But if we're right, it's such a shame as Andy was one of the nicest guys on the forum.  Always helpful and generous with his time, not to mention sending me model parts and kits (which I think may have been his major passion, you may have seen photos of his huge collection).  Anyway, I've been missing him for almost a year now and will continue to miss him...

Hope we're wrong Andy.

This place does have a special community and when people go missing it feels like missing a friend.

I went to some old threads back when Black Sea was coming out and there was a few Russian posters giving some great insight into Russian equipment. I don't see them posting anymore and sad to think that some might have been conscripted into a war they didn't choose. Not trying to get into politics in this thread. Just hope everyone is doing alright.