Where is Andy?

43 minutes ago, FlammenwerferX said:

55! yikes

And what happens with good modders like: mord, Luckystrike,

mjkerner, Aris Oleksander...

Ok for mord when another module for CM will come, he will come back with news faces and portraits...😉

Cheers

Edited by JM Stuff

19 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

We've done a bit of research and it looks like we did lose Andy/Sgt.Squarehead. An obituary had been found (not by me....so no link) of someone with his exact name in the town he lived in passing away last year on February 14th......The last day he was logged into this forum. 

Like you, I really liked the guy too. He always brought somefink and had a great sense of humor. 

I'd love to be wrong and have him post that the rumors of his death are greatly exaggerated. 

Ohhh sorry I didnt know about this, I was just make some comments about everybodys and see above this post, sorry again 😔

Cheers

Damn, that's sad news.  One of the downsides of a virtual community is we often miss when a member has a serious life problem, including the ultimate one; death.  I always feel bad when it takes so long to piece something together as in our personal physical lives something like a year, as with Andy, is an eternity.

55 years old is "young" by our group's standards.

Peace be with you, brother Squarehead.

Steve

Sad.

We did a lot of exchanges, along with @Combatintman , @sburkein the late 20teens around our historical Iraq monster city fights (Ramadi / Mosul). I came up with the scenario titles for As'sh Al Dababir (Hornets Nest) and Al Hutumah (the Crusher).  As others here have noted, he was a genius modder and designer.

He LOVED the Ramones, saw them live multiple times.

From a 2017 PM exchange:

"I'm a huge Ramones fan too, saw 'em live loads of times, mostly at the Hummingbird in Birmingham."

LongLeftFlank Replied: June 10, 2017

"I saw them only once, but in the Holy of Holies: Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey. Now you can sing "I'm the Crusher" over and over to yourself as you slowly go mad building out the city blocks. Then when the men in white coats come for you they'll assume you're the happy kind.  I am reading Tom Sawyer to my daughter at bedtime, and my wife and I keep singing the guitar hook to the Rush song....

Sgt.Squarehead Replied: June 11, 2017

Lol.....I never really got into Rush in a big way (but I loved the cover of 'Fly By Night', painted it on my girlfri end's leather jacket.

Godspeed, old friend!  I'll look forward to catching up with you at the gaming tables at the feasting hall.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

11 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Damn, that's sad news.  One of the downsides of a virtual community is we often miss when a member has a serious life problem, including the ultimate one; death.  I always feel bad when it takes so long to piece something together as in our personal physical lives something like a year, as with Andy, is an eternity.

55 years old is "young" by our group's standards.

Peace be with you, brother Squarehead.

Steve

He was younger than that - 53 when he passed away, no age at all.

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

He was younger than that - 53 when he passed away, no age at all.

He sent me this when my little border collie died....

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten year old Irish wolfhound, named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa and their little boy Shane were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.

I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog. Ron and Lisa told me that they thought it would be good for the four year old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few moments, Belker slipped away peacefully. The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.” Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I had never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, “People are born so that they learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The four year old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

9 hours ago, zmoney said:

That’s nuts, he logged in the same day as he passed? Was it a heart attack or car wreck?

He also posted 5 times that day, and all seemed normal.  What I found said 'Passed away suddenly at home on 14th February, 2022, aged 53 years.'

To put my mind at rest that we are definite on this, don't suppose anyone can confirm his middle name?  I knew his first and last names but not the middle.  Please DM me if so.

Truly sad news. 50s is still very young (coming from a dude approaching the big 3-0). He will be sorely missed.

I will always remember him as the guy who taught me the differences between T64, T72 and T80, and who had intimate knowledge of Iranian IFV development.

R.I.P.

(Even if he never really got into Rush, apparently.)

very sad news
I had noticed his absence, especially as a tank enthusiast he would inevitably have commented on and identified the tanks in action in the Ukrainian conflict. He had already disappeared for more than 2 months in 2020 I had sent him a message but did not tell me answered. I think it was not in his character to complain
In any case it is enough to see this post to realize that we miss it.

RIP

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, BFCElvis said:

We've done a bit of research and it looks like we did lose Andy/Sgt.Squarehead. An obituary had been found (not by me....so no link) of someone with his exact name in the town he lived in passing away last year on February 14th......The last day he was logged into this forum. 

Like you, I really liked the guy too. He always brought somefink and had a great sense of humor. 

I'd love to be wrong and have him post that the rumors of his death are greatly exaggerated. 

On 1/25/2023 at 12:17 AM, Vacillator said:

Yes sadly I think that's the case.  I found the obituary John mentioned, same name, same home address but I won't link it as it has other family details.  And John and I found other information elsewhere pointing to the same conclusion.  Like John I'm hoping we've got this wrong, and I'd like nothing better than Andy posting to say so.

But if we're right, it's such a shame as Andy was one of the nicest guys on the forum.  Always helpful and generous with his time, not to mention sending me model parts and kits (which I think may have been his major passion, you may have seen photos of his huge collection).  Anyway, I've been missing him for almost a year now and will continue to miss him...

Hope we're wrong Andy.

So sad, if true. But thank you for the info you found.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, BFCElvis said:

Sad news, indeed.

I remember him as an always friendly and helpful guy.

An exchange with him about SciFi-books really enriched my „reading life“.