WOW! Why didn't somebody tell me how interesting and fun this CMCW games was.

lcm1947

I recently purchased this game and am thoroughly enjoying it.  It's something new and exciting to me.  I've only played WWII games prior for the past umpteen years, well along with War of Warcraft.  I am pretty sure this will result in me putting all my WWII games on the back burner if ever to return.  The new TO&E, advancements in and of equipment and tactics is just overwhelming and so interesting and to be honest quite exciting. On a sad note however, it seems now that I have the modern wargame bug, I will be buying CMBS as soon as the next patch comes out just to see what all is new in it since the jump from WWII to the Cold War was so great, I can't imagine the jump to the present-day improvements.  

5 hours ago, lcm1947 said:

I recently purchased this game and am thoroughly enjoying it.  It's something new and exciting to me.  I've only played WWII games prior for the past umpteen years, well along with War of Warcraft.  I am pretty sure this will result in me putting all my WWII games on the back burner if ever to return.  The new TO&E, advancements in and of equipment and tactics is just overwhelming and so interesting and to be honest quite exciting. On a sad note however, it seems now that I have the modern wargame bug, I will be buying CMBS as soon as the next patch comes out just to see what all is new in it since the jump from WWII to the Cold War was so great, I can't imagine the jump to the present-day improvements.  

I think the Cold War time period hits a sweat spot between WW2 and modern. You have the fast pace of modern games but the weaponry hasn't become so lethal/long range that you can't maneuver. In the 1979/1980 game period you can still use smoke without worrying that thermals will put you at a disadvantage. The formations are large enough that you can suffer some losses and not fail the scenario. Cold War is easily my favorite module.

14 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Cold War is not really modern. CMBS and Shock force both play differently again from Cold War, which stands more in between the eras.
On top of that, Cold War has quite a balanced force selection, as the time frame from 1979 to 1982 is choosen quite wisely, when the advantage tips from the Soviets to NATO.

I had often wondered about when we started gaining and passing the Soviets but never really bothered to determine it myself but interesting to learn, nevertheless.  Thank you.  

18 hours ago, lcm1947 said:

And we were a Charles S Roberts PC Wargame of the Year nominee as well, tell your friends!

Very glad you are enjoying the game.  It is remarkable to me our little baby is still gaining followers almost two years after it debuted.

5 hours ago, The_Capt said:

And we were a Charles S Roberts PC Wargame of the Year nominee as well, tell your friends!

Very glad you are enjoying the game.  It is remarkable to me our little baby is still gaining followers almost two years after it debuted.

A PC game of the year is indeed impressive, but I can see why it was.  An extremely interesting time period for sure.   

5 hours ago, The_Capt said:

I am very much enjoying it and not shocked to hear that the game was a nominee.  A really interesting period of time and this game places you right there.  Neat!

1 hour ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

Watching the SACLOS ATGM slowly flying towards its target is the most the anxiety but super exciting experience in CM!   Forgot about those fire-forgot ATGMs, those are sissy! 

Don't forget about the MCLOS ATGMs (AT-3). You better not look because they'll miss most of the time. 

4 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

It's a really fantastic game, but so are all the modern series. I think CMSF2 is a bit of an unexpected surprise for me. I think it's one of the most challenging and diverse CM games. Red vs. red battles are very fun in that game. I can't wait for more CMCW though.

There's a red campaign for SF2 in the scenario depot if youre a fan of playing them.

19 hours ago, Simcoe said:

There's a red campaign for SF2 in the scenario depot if youre a fan of playing them.

I've downloaded it, but I think for PBEM Red vs Red is one of the most fun matchups in any CM game, especially if you limit it to nothing above T-62's for tanks. It's like super WW2.

• 2 weeks later...

They are right, CMCW does play quite a bit differently than CMBS. CMCW is brutal.  CMBS is beyond brutal. Any slight mistake rewards your pixeltroopen with instadeath.  Move too quickly, get wiped out. Sit still, get wiped out. It can be a real nail biter.  I also seem to get overly emotionally attached to my units and hate to absorb casualties.  Not sure why.

3 hours ago, Probus said:

I also seem to get overly emotionally attached to my units and hate to absorb casualties.  Not sure why.

That's what makes this such a great game system, Greg.  Will be interested in discussing how you got on with your Soviet campaign.   My units were easily devastated playing the US against you.