Christmas 2022 Scenario Challenge

kohlenklau

3 hours ago, Butschi said:

Thank you all! 😊 You should dial down the level of praise a bit, though, because otherwise it will go to my head. 😇

And please, please don't get your expectations up too much, I don't want you to be disappointed. This is not a random map generator. It will use randomneIss to decide which tree or crop or grass and so on it puts into a square. The information that there should be a tree comes from OpenStreetMap.

Yes we're all desperate 😣 But praise where it's due. Anything you can deliver, just anything, please ... 😉

3 hours ago, Butschi said:

I keep wondering if they don't have something like this, at least for the professional edition? I have a hard time imagining that the British Army (or whoever is their customer) employs CM scenario designers...

Don't know - with the state of our economy this could be gainful employment, pay per click ...

I don't understand how this (the contour generator) wasn't included, and at least a randomising paint brush for terrain features, or the random map maker as @Vergeltungswaffe mentioned. It's kind of a no-brainer IMHO - sorry BF but in this instance I really think this was a corner cut too many. 

Let's hope it's noticed.

1 hour ago, RockinHarry said:

I´d be perfectly fine with just the contour map conversion which is most the map making PITA when it comes to recreating terrain from real locations IMO. So road nets, trees etc. could be made optional (a switch) as any other the scripts features. In case one uses maps from WW2 most of its terrain features (but contours) will be almost all obsolete when compared to OpenStreetMap. Unless it´s a remote area that didn´t change much for the past decades. So anything but contours one got to create from scratch anyway. More or less. With realistically converted contour terrain one still has lots of time (and work) saved that can be used for placing remaining terrain features.

Elevation data is already available and working. Is it too complicated? I agree, using the current OSM is more useful for the modern titles. My vision here is twofold:

1. Easy integration of OSM via Overpass API, i.e. you just provide a bounding box and the API will just download the relevant content from the internet, nothing else for you to do. -> Modern Titles

2. Importing xml based map files. This would mean you can download a map area from OSM and manipulate it via e.g. QGIS or JOSM. -> WW2 Titles. Would be easier to remove or add content (to fit your scenario) or even entirely make up a map from scratch. I think it would be easier to use real map overlays, aerial imagery etc and just draw areas were a forest is supposed to be.

Currently I'm working on part 1 but I think part 2 is quite doable, as much of part 1 can be used for this, too.

Anyway, I think this belongs in a different thread. 😉

8 hours ago, Butschi said:

Elevation data is already available and working. Is it too complicated? I agree, using the current OSM is more useful for the modern titles. My vision here is twofold:

1. Easy integration of OSM via Overpass API, i.e. you just provide a bounding box and the API will just download the relevant content from the internet, nothing else for you to do. -> Modern Titles

2. Importing xml based map files. This would mean you can download a map area from OSM and manipulate it via e.g. QGIS or JOSM. -> WW2 Titles. Would be easier to remove or add content (to fit your scenario) or even entirely make up a map from scratch. I think it would be easier to use real map overlays, aerial imagery etc and just draw areas were a forest is supposed to be.

Currently I'm working on part 1 but I think part 2 is quite doable, as much of part 1 can be used for this, too.

Anyway, I think this belongs in a different thread. 😉

sounds cool and easy going when it´s ready! 😎

• 2 weeks later...

It is that time of the year when everything seems to be called Pumpkin Spice this or Pumpkin Spice that...

VoqgCIa.png

BARB PUMPKIN SPICE VILLAGE DEFENSE

^Udachnyy Vystrel, Soviet Union. Fall 1941. Afternoon in a seemingly quiet Russian village. Light wind from the north. 

^You are Untersturmfuhrer Otto Grossenkeister and lead the 1st platoon of 5th Company in the II Battalion of SS Grenadier Regiment Deutschland of SS Division Reich. Attached to your company is a 50mm mortar and an HMG34. Your ammo supply is severely depleted.

^Battalion reports that several small groups of Red Army stragglers are passing through headed eastward.

^Defend the village while you await resupply.
^You have to hold on for 30-40 minutes. Points are awarded for destroying enemy units and occupying several key areas in the village.

The new scenario file is in the below overall folder link along with the mods folders...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yoptddfhbnym47w/AAC6dl5WOcTGGxN2jm3CuqRAa?dl=0

Edited by kohlenklau

It is almost November. Maybe I started this too soon and nobody but a few are yet in the Xmas spirit. 🙂

To help get that Christmas vibe jump started I will soon release a CMFB scenario called "HATTEN STREET FIGHT"...

A tiny infantry battle on a cut down 208m x 208m portion of Jon Martina's beautiful wintery Hatten map. @ASL Veteran

On 10/27/2022 at 1:14 AM, kohlenklau said:

It is that time of the year when everything seems to be called Pumpkin Spice this or Pumpkin Spice that...

VoqgCIa.png

BARB PUMPKIN SPICE VILLAGE DEFENSE

^Udachnyy Vystrel, Soviet Union. Fall 1941. Afternoon in a seemingly quiet Russian village. Light wind from the north. 

^You are Untersturmfuhrer Otto Grossenkeister and lead the 1st platoon of 5th Company in the II Battalion of SS Grenadier Regiment Deutschland of SS Division Reich. Attached to your company is a 50mm mortar and an HMG34. Your ammo supply is severely depleted.

^Battalion reports that several small groups of Red Army stragglers are passing through headed eastward.

^Defend the village while you await resupply.
^You have to hold on for 30-40 minutes. Points are awarded for destroying enemy units and occupying several key areas in the village.

The new scenario file is in the below overall folder link along with the mods folders...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yoptddfhbnym47w/AAC6dl5WOcTGGxN2jm3CuqRAa?dl=0

I´ll surely try your Barbarossa mod anythime soon. 😎 I see it´s a 1.9GB download altogether and guess it´s manageable. Yet got to make some place on my already overstuffed hard drive. 🤪

• 2 weeks later...

Q4ce7Qy.png

CMRT FB TINY BLESSINGS OF SZENT LASZLO

^
Part of the Festung Budapest Attila Line defenses, east of Soroksár, Hungary. 2 November 1944...just over 10 km from Budapest city centre. It is late in the afternoon, the sun sets behind you on a cold and wet day. A light wind blows from the north. 

^
You are a young föhadnagy (1st lieutenant) in the 1./I Parachute Battalion. Your units are well trained and highly motivated. But there are just a few of you to balance against the low morale of the common Hungarian infantry. Your position has several heavy weapons in support as well as a small variety of defensive fortifications to position. An anti-tank ditch has been dug by forced labor. Dark Blue set-up zone is for you to adjust the deployment of all axis forces, foxholes and trenches. 
^
The Soviet tank and infantry force is probing forward to determine the level of resistance they will encounter as the siege of Budapest develops. 
^
Your objective is to block any passage of the Soviet forces through to the west.
^
You are ordered to hold out for 10~15 minutes. The enemy gains points by exiting forces off the west edge of the map via a small exit zone. When the Honvéd (Royal Hungarian Army) stops that exit, it takes points away from the Red Army. You have a parameter bonus if you can keep your own casualties below 25%.

To get this, go to my signature dropbox link, then go to CMRT section and see the folder for CMRT Hungary Mod. In there are the 2 mods folders, 1 mod folder is just the soldier names changed to Hungarian and you can plop in z folder ONLY AS NEEDED, the other folder is modtagged and can probably be in z and not cause any issues. Emphasis on PROBABLY. 🙂

The scenario file is there for CMRT scenario folder. Restart CMRT and have a try as axis vs Soviet AI.

"Based on a true story."

22 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Q4ce7Qy.png

^
Part of the Festung Budapest Attila Line defenses, east of Soroksár, Hungary. 2 November 1944...just over 10 km from Budapest city centre. It is late in the afternoon, the sun sets behind you on a cold and wet day. A light wind blows from the north. 

^
You are a young föhadnagy (1st lieutenant) in the 1./I Parachute Battalion. Your units are well trained and highly motivated. But there are just a few of you to balance against the low morale of the common Hungarian infantry. Your position has several heavy weapons in support as well as a small variety of defensive fortifications to position. An anti-tank ditch has been dug by forced labor. Dark Blue set-up zone is for you to adjust the deployment of all axis forces, foxholes and trenches. 
^
The Soviet tank and infantry force is probing forward to determine the level of resistance they will encounter as the siege of Budapest develops. 
^
Your objective is to block any passage of the Soviet forces through to the west.
^
You are ordered to hold out for 10~15 minutes. The enemy gains points by exiting forces off the west edge of the map via a small exit zone. When the Honvéd (Royal Hungarian Army) stops that exit, it takes points away from the Red Army. You have a parameter bonus if you can keep your own casualties below 25%.

To get this, go to my signature dropbox link, then go to CMRT section and see the folder for CMRT Hungary Mod. In there are the 2 mods folders, 1 mod folder is just the soldier names changed to Hungarian and you can plop in z folder ONLY AS NEEDED, the other folder is modtagged and can probably be in z and not cause any issues. Emphasis on PROBABLY. 🙂

The scenario file is there for CMRT scenario folder. Restart CMRT and have a try as axis vs Soviet AI.

"Based on a true story."

Seem to be a huge job again Phil I will check all this Christmas gift, thank you to share it.

JM

53 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Hey JM, you are welcome. Best regards to M, E & S. (I think I got all names right...)

Did you ever do that Belgium scenario for CMFB? I forget.

Totaly correct thank you for them a good mind 👏.

No I am not very good with scenarios but if (one day) you can lend me a hand, because there is also a conversion of troops with British for CMFB ? I think you were propose  CMFI ? Well I don't remember but is in the snow cold and in the Bulge...I think this will be interresting but lot of work.

Let pass the time and let us first enjoy your new Christmas gift.

Phil pls 😊 be 😎

Just joking.

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

17 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I hear that someday in the future the CMFB module has the British late war forces? Maybe just wait for that day? 2023, 2024, 2029? hahaha

Yes this is the module that I am waiting, the Brit in the Bulge, so my good Phil, we will wait...

PS I am thinking to "produce" some wreck for the Hungarian 🤔😉...

JM

On 11/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, kohlenklau said:

^
Part of the Festung Budapest Attila Line defenses, east of Soroksár, Hungary

Great stuff Phil, thanks for this - I'll try to get a run at it this weekend.

4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

BFC has only one old vagina. It can maybe have a baby in 9 months. Maybe. Sometimes, just all talk and no getting pregnant. Not too often you see it pump out twins.

LMAO ... I thought he was a brain in a jar but I think your description is far closer - kinda like the big chained-up Alien mother, only not as productive ... still LMAO as I leave the room ...

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Yes, JM is correct.  Regrettably, CMA was made by Snowball (or somesuch company) and the programmers made things a bit different from the other CM2 products (only CMSF2 IIRC in those days).  As a result most CM2 mods do not work in CMA.

But I wish also that they can make an update to be compatible with the "news sytem".

JM

8 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I hear that someday in the future the CMFB module has the British late war forces? Maybe just wait for that day? 2023, 2024, 2029? hahaha

Yup. Next time BFC sees any my Euro´s appearing on their account is when this one got released. I´ve lots of time waiting and a Steam wishlist full with stuff I want (but lack time playing and HD space. lol 😬)