Christmas 2022 Scenario Challenge

kohlenklau

I thought I’d give map making a try using the CM Normandy editor.  Newb.   I used a (Toum) map from  the “ Panzer Elite” sim as a basis. I was looking to create open arid terrain with bridges crossing a  river near  a  railroad station (objective) . The map ended up 992m width, 1392m height.  This is a first try  at map making, so I’m seeking  advise comment.  Thanks, Glenn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9dcheb0k8b6nzw/Glenn_ToumMap.btt?dl=0

SoonTM

E6wH28O.jpg

The map I promised will feature the village https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loope around 1980. (The map is more like 1990, as I didn't have an older image handy). Preview version, the terrain will be a little smoother, some hedge rows will be added, etc.

Should be quite suitable as a Quick Battle Map. There are long engagement ranges but also good cover, plenty of open and covered roads, pathes and tracks, etc. Eventually this is supposed to be the place where the first mission of my Agger Valley Campaign for CMCW will take place if I ever manage to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add this very roughly-formed scenario (attached) for people that want something to entertain them on a cold winter's night.

This would have been a branch off of Broken Shields (off of the 6th scenario), but it just didn't work with the overall flow. I also have another one set in Seregelyes that I may get around to posting here that's in the same state.

There's no briefing nor briefing graphic, and can only be played from the German side (no German AI).

The gist- defend the occupied positions and town, and use any infantry and armor that may arrive to stage local counter-attacks to regain the town.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, ya cast of characters.

310920550_cmredthunder.exeScreenshot2022_12.23-20_57_19_46.thumb.jpg.113beef1dad355ffe191f5bfcc275ad1.jpg

363178929_cmredthunder.exeScreenshot2022_12.23-20_57_47_55.thumb.jpg.5233975c1e65a5af0a131022f0074f30.jpg

AT Positions!.btt

On 10/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

New CMBS scenario:

Buran-30 Battalion Tactical Group (BTG).

Command a Russian BTR Battalion Tactical Group.                                                                                                             Russians vs AI only.                                                                                                                                                                      Three hours (tentatively).                                                                                                                                                              Map: 5104 meters x 2512 meters = appx 12.8 square kilometers.                                                                                                  Ground conditions: Wet.  Weather: Hazy.                                                                                                                                  Supply: Scarce.  Headcount: 70%.

SITUATION:  It is 1300hrs on March 30, 2022, in northeast Ukraine.  The Russian Federation is conducting a withdrawal in order to redeploy units to the south.  The withdrawal is under pressure from Ukrainian Army units and partisans.  Many of the Russian units suffer from low morale, low supplies and have lost many vehicles and infantry.  The muddy conditions of the rasputitsa confine vehicles to roads limiting maneuver and increases the danger of ambushes.  

MISSION:  Your call sign is Buran 30.  Your mission is to withdraw your Battalion Tactical Group (BTG) to the east in order to refit and prepare for a future offensive.  It is important to preserve your BTG along with an attached air assault unit (V markings).  A related mission is to destroy Ukrainian units.  Exit all friendly units off the east edge of the Area of Operation (AO) by 1600hrs.

FRIENDLY FORCES:  Your BTG has been in the field for several weeks with inadequate logistics.  Supply is scarce with the headcount at about 70%.  The soldiers are in a weakened state with low morale.  Many vehicles have been lost.  Artillery and artillery shells are generally in good supply. 

Elements of the BTG are arriving in the AO from the west.  A platoon of 120mm heavy mortars is positioned at Derusova Farm and ready to support.  One battery of 152mm and one Orlan drone are also in support.  Lead elements of the BTG have arrived in the northwest and southwest and are standing by for orders.

Status:  Map completed. TOE completed.  One of at least three AI plans completed. 

Map looking northeast from Sonyashnk village.  Eight villages, one river, one powerplant (Ukrainian preserve objective) and one cell tower (Ukrainian preserve objective). 

dUeMwjvh.jpg

Random screenshots from testing.

zY1HypMh.jpg

mp6W7SVh.jpg

65KAVdRh.jpg

RuAP3C8h.jpg

I'll probably eventually start a separate thread in CMBS Maps and Mods forum.  

About three weeks ago I loaded the scenario to give it yet another test in scenario author mode and it crashed.  I have not been able to open it in Iron mode or scenario author test (or any mode).  I went back and tried to simplify the map etc. but its a no go.  I've not had this happen before.  I've got a lot of time invested in this and I'll keep working at it.  However its obviously not going to be out any time soon.  I lost the challenge.  I apologize.   😒 

I have been neck deep in a construction project and have not been able to come through as promised for some new scenarios. Doing fascia so roof contractor can start in January...

Plus I have a damn abscess tooth! Going to the V.A. dental on Monday at 0730. Root canal here I come.

I am almost at a point I am able to get back to the CM projects and belatedly get them out...

I got a super cool surprise coming in late January or early February. hee hee hee

Bit late to the party. I'll try to get this onto The Few Good Men, but Google Drive will have to do for now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSupwVFRMFyYiuWcJ68mu6VHoh6kbB9u/view?usp=sharing

(Or looks like I can attach right here).

This is a map and scenario I originally built in CM Pro Edition to use an introduction to the controls. Rebuilt it here in SF2. One side of the map is just a flat "Firing Range" with tower and firing line. The other has a small village.  

You are a US dismounted Infantry Platoon. Move your platoon onto the firing line (to get familiar with selecting and movement) then move them across the firing range towards the berm. (Some enemy will appear, highlighting that you dont need to do anything and your AI squad leaders will take care of fire control of the squads.)

Then move into the village and clear out the enemy. You have 60mm mortars and a UAV available. There are several Red AI plans so there should be some replayability.

I prefer the CM Pro version of the map (png attached)- there is a better variety of buildings (barns, commercial buildings vs residential, plus modular buildings) and some more interesting flavor objects (farm equipment, gravestones to make a graveyard around the church, etc). But this isnt too bad either in SF2, if I say so myself.

Hope you all enjoy!

A Training Map village small.png

A Training Map SF2.btt

SF2 Training Map village small.png

Edited by Blackhorse15A
add image

20 hours ago, Blackhorse15A said:

Bit late to the party. I'll try to get this onto The Few Good Men, but Google Drive will have to do for now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSupwVFRMFyYiuWcJ68mu6VHoh6kbB9u/view?usp=sharing

(Or looks like I can attach right here).

This is a map and scenario I originally built in CM Pro Edition to use an introduction to the controls. Rebuilt it here in SF2. One side of the map is just a flat "Firing Range" with tower and firing line. The other has a small village.  

You are a US dismounted Infantry Platoon. Move your platoon onto the firing line (to get familiar with selecting and movement) then move them across the firing range towards the berm. (Some enemy will appear, highlighting that you dont need to do anything and your AI squad leaders will take care of fire control of the squads.)

Then move into the village and clear out the enemy. You have 60mm mortars and a UAV available. There are several Red AI plans so there should be some replayability.

I prefer the CM Pro version of the map (png attached)- there is a better variety of buildings (barns, commercial buildings vs residential, plus modular buildings) and some more interesting flavor objects (farm equipment, gravestones to make a graveyard around the church, etc). But this isnt too bad either in SF2, if I say so myself.

Hope you all enjoy!

A Training Map village small.png

A Training Map SF2.btt 1.02 MB · 2 downloads

SF2 Training Map village small.png

I played this scenario. Its not bad. I placed my M240 team on top of the building and it looked like an actual range. it was quite easy for me to send a squad to flank the enemy in the village and finish the off. Do you think you could make it into an actual training Campaign? I think one that emphasizes use of Infantry/Vehicle/Air/Artillery Support would be pretty cool. 

29 minutes ago, ViperAssassin26 said:

I played this scenario. Its not bad. I placed my M240 team on top of the building and it looked like an actual range. it was quite easy for me to send a squad to flank the enemy in the village and finish the off. Do you think you could make it into an actual training Campaign? I think one that emphasizes use of Infantry/Vehicle/Air/Artillery Support would be pretty cool. 

Glad you got some enjoyment out of it. If you like going into the village, replay it a few times (Red has all five COAs in the AI, and several allow for some randomness). It isn't meant to be particularly difficult. I originally built it as a map/scenario for people who had never played CM before to talk them through the controls before going to another scenario. The town is really just a way to get extra practice and when you have a classroom worth of people it acts as a buffer to give those who 'get it' something to do while I give extra help to those who are behind or having difficulty.

So I am kind of curious for feedback about this map/scenario in the context of this community- where people already know the controls and its all a bit basic.

Campaign could be an interesting way to step through some things. Do you think laying out several scenarios and using the Campaign feature would be useful or too much? LIke Mission 1, kill the squad on the range, mission result screen, Mission 2 clear the village, result screen, Mission 3 using vehicles, results, Mission 4 arty, etc etc.  Or do you mean just fleshing out some more opportunity all within this one scenario/map?

23 minutes ago, Blackhorse15A said:

Glad you got some enjoyment out of it. If you like going into the village, replay it a few times (Red has all five COAs in the AI, and several allow for some randomness). It isn't meant to be particularly difficult. I originally built it as a map/scenario for people who had never played CM before to talk them through the controls before going to another scenario. The town is really just a way to get extra practice and when you have a classroom worth of people it acts as a buffer to give those who 'get it' something to do while I give extra help to those who are behind or having difficulty.

So I am kind of curious for feedback about this map/scenario in the context of this community- where people already know the controls and its all a bit basic.

Campaign could be an interesting way to step through some things. Do you think laying out several scenarios and using the Campaign feature would be useful or too much? LIke Mission 1, kill the squad on the range, mission result screen, Mission 2 clear the village, result screen, Mission 3 using vehicles, results, Mission 4 arty, etc etc.  Or do you mean just fleshing out some more opportunity all within this one scenario/map?

I think the range and the village should be two seperate scenarios. I understand this is a game, But machine gun ranges and MOUT sites are miles apart from each other, however, I like how you had the range set up. Watching the M240 and the spotter together reminds me of when I go to the range. The only thing about have a range in CM is the the moving AI. Hard to hit a target that ducks.

I don't think the AT team should be present. They really don't have a job. That's something that could be part of an Infantry based training campaign. That'll get newcomers in tune with how to use Javelins. 

But im thinking in the mindset of a soldier and how training works. Im always doing these types of training , so its hard for me not to mention it. 

Well I meant all 4 mission scenarios just as a dismounted infantry platoon or company. Same thing with vehicles. Although now that I think about it. using support could just be tied into the infantry training campaign. I brought it up because my buddies in the infantry would always be in the field for days at a time doing MOUT, movement under fire(Bounding), calling CAS, and defense operations. I just thought that would be great for newcomers. Think of it as Combat Mission: Basic Training lol

This could all be used in Black Sea as well

Edited by ViperAssassin26
adding a sentence

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 10:33 PM, ViperAssassin26 said:

I think the range and the village should be two seperate scenarios. I understand this is a game, But machine gun ranges and MOUT sites are miles apart from each other,

Real world true. Here it was just a way to shift between the two situations without reloading the scenario. To save time if you're standing in front a whole classroom worth of people.

I don't think the AT team should be present. They really don't have a job. That's something that could be part of an Infantry based training campaign.

Well, true, but it's meant to represent an entire standard light infantry platoon. So they come along. I like the campaign idea though. Set another scenario where they are the highlight.

I just thought that would be great for newcomers. Think of it as Combat Mission: Basic Training lol

This could all be used in Black Sea as well

That's what it was meant as originally. Black Sea would work too. Now I just need to go buy that

I was considering grabbing it at the Christmas sale but something happened on Steam- I waited too long considering it - and when steam said it ended at whatever date, I thought it would be the last day you could buy and it turned out to be the first day at original price. Ugh. But honestly, I have so little time to actually play, it would just be a really expensive tool for porting maps occasionally. Lol.