Does current hostilities mean there won't be a new expansion until it's over?

Majestic12

I heard a rumor some time ago that Battlefront was thinking about expanding Black Sea with new toys or factions available. I fear that with the recent war that all that is placed on a backburner. Right now there's a seems to be renewed interest in Black Sea so I hope that plans are still being worked on and that Black Sea isn't a forgotten game.

I doubt the invasion of Ukraine will have any effect on the timeline for any Black Sea modules or packs - CMBS is a fictional conflict with a pre-determined story and set in a specific year (which is now in the past) so any new equipment or nationalities added to the game will be based on what was available in the time period of the setting, not on anything currently happening.

The question re sending new stuff at the last minute is who is trained to use em?  The situation could be akin to the poorly trained volksturm fighting off the red army in '45.  And since "the first casualty of war is truth" we cannot believe much of anything we are being told.

We are not going to change the Module's focus.  It will remain as it was before, a direct extension of the Black Sea setting.  We absolutely will not release it until things have come to some sort of conclusion and calmed down a bit.  I'd feel ghoulish to do anything but that.

At some point we will likely cover this war directly and not as a confused muddle with something we released 8 years ago.  When we do it will have the same level of detail and authenticity that all our historical games have.  If you want to know when that might be, send an email to Mr. Putin and ask him what his plans are for ending this madness.

Steve

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

The question re sending new stuff at the last minute is who is trained to use em?  The situation could be akin to the poorly trained volksturm fighting off the red army in '45.  And since "the first casualty of war is truth" we cannot believe much of anything we are being told.

Years ago Charles and I used a Javelin simulator, which was a real Javelin CLU with empty (but weighted) tube.  A computer was plugged into the CLU to provide a simulated thermal battlefield.  Extremely sensitive (and I was told ridiculously expensive) motion sensors were fixed onto the CLU and tube so the simulation could adjust the image to simulate a virtual environment.  I mean, taking a breath moved that image... it was that good!

So, with this in mind let me tell you that with only a few minutes of instruction we were plinking enemy vehicles in both top attack and direct attack modes.  In fact, Charles was so good the Colonel in charge of the program commented it was good that we no longer have the draft.  And if that happened, I'd probably be flipping burgers instead of making games :)

Short version... the thing is like a very lethal Nintendo Switch.  Doesn't take a lot to kill stuff with it.

Steve

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

We are not going to change the Module's focus.  It will remain as it was before, a direct extension of the Black Sea setting.  We absolutely will not release it until things have come to some sort of conclusion and calmed down a bit.  I'd feel ghoulish to do anything but that.

At some point we will likely cover this war directly and not as a confused muddle with something we released 8 years ago.  When we do it will have the same level of detail and authenticity that all our historical games have.  If you want to know when that might be, send an email to Mr. Putin and ask him what his plans are for ending this madness.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the clear messaging.  I admit I am eagerly awaiting the next addition, but also respect your prudence.  There are a good amount of folks who look to your 'simulations' as the next best thing to understanding potential realities.  I look to you for this as well, but understand there's so much more that goes into these engagements than just composition of forces and tactics on the battlefield, and only take what you offer with a healthy dose of salt.  Much of the higher limitations or classes of supply completely negate any tactical options or opportunity a side, with real human lives, have.  Thank you for being patient to wait out this historic conflict.

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Years ago Charles and I used a Javelin simulator, which was a real Javelin CLU with empty (but weighted) tube.  A computer was plugged into the CLU to provide a simulated thermal battlefield.  Extremely sensitive (and I was told ridiculously expensive) motion sensors were fixed onto the CLU and tube so the simulation could adjust the image to simulate a virtual environment.  I mean, taking a breath moved that image... it was that good!

So, with this in mind let me tell you that with only a few minutes of instruction we were plinking enemy vehicles in both top attack and direct attack modes.  In fact, Charles was so good the Colonel in charge of the program commented it was good that we no longer have the draft.  And if that happened, I'd probably be flipping burgers instead of making games :)

Short version... the thing is like a very lethal Nintendo Switch.  Doesn't take a lot to kill stuff with it.

Steve

Yes, the javelin (and tow) through the BST (Basic Skills Trainer) is easy to become proficient with.  As are the real systems.  As are they are designed.  And yes we are seeing how effective these extremely expensive systems and rounds are because of that (60-75k per javelin round but at 90% effectiveness at full range).  I am personally impressed with these expensive systems that are actually justifying their costs (b/c SACLOS doesn't cut it).

3 hours ago, Geoff-Ludumpress said:

Thanks for the update but can we keep the politics out of it please! And yes mentioning one govt. leader and not another is politics IMHO.

Properly naming the man who started the war and is alone is responsible for disrupting our release plans isn't political.  It is just a fact.  Tough I suppose I could have suggested Zelensky surrender just to keep things Fair And Balanced.

Steve

1 hour ago, Davis06 said:

Steve,

Thank you for the clear messaging.  I admit I am eagerly awaiting the next addition, but also respect your prudence.  There are a good amount of folks who look to your 'simulations' as the next best thing to understanding potential realities.  I look to you for this as well, but understand there's so much more that goes into these engagements than just composition of forces and tactics on the battlefield, and only take what you offer with a healthy dose of salt.  Much of the higher limitations or classes of supply completely negate any tactical options or opportunity a side, with real human lives, have.  Thank you for being patient to wait out this historic conflict.

I appreciate the appreciation!  Yes, there's a lot that goes into everything we do.  Market timing is something we normally don't have to be concerned about, but in this case we need to.

Steve

19 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Then can we at least get the engine update?

On 2/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, Battlefront.com said:

At some point we will likely cover this war directly and not as a confused muddle with something we released 8 years ago.  When we do it will have the same level of detail and authenticity that all our historical games have.  

😯 Now that is some interesting Intel on possible future game development. 🙂

I recall years ago, when Steve was swanning about for fresh ideas for new titles & theaters, he (half) jokingly said he was concerned that picking any current 'speculative' conflict was liable to jinx the region and they'd have a war before the project was released. That harmless little joke seems prescient now. When I suggested (again, years ago) China vs Taiwan Steve said NO!

Edited by MikeyD