Not really the official Battle Pack 2 announcement

More of a tease than an official announcement.

I suspect that some will get information from this screenshot and I will confirm and deny, without being coy, as much as I can. There are still a few things that are up in the air. 

I believe that I've mentioned elsewhere that, unlike the other content that will be released on Steam, this will not be finished when CMBN goes on Steam. By no fault of the project lead, it was added to our list of projects too late to meet the March CMBN Steam release. 

For people familiar with his work, @Ithikial_AUis the lead on this. 

So, here's the teaser..........

Battle Pack2.png

1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

I am guessing Scheldte estuary somewhere?  Or maybe west side of the Rhine where the Brits had that big, muddy operation early in 1945?

Cold. This battle pack is set within the CMBN game family timeframe and geography of June 1944 - September 1944.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

15 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

So maybe the marshy area around Carentan? 

I'm not sure if the screenshot is that far inland........yet. Right, @Ithikial_AU?

5 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Does it lead down to this (the photo being from recent times of course)?

8d81e2_81caf3967b7f43019e2d08e1aae7d39e~

The horizon certainly indicates something along those lines....Although I don't know exactly where your picture was taken.

Interesting, the photo comes up if you search for Utah Beach but that could be a Googlism...

EDIT:  Google maps on satellite image confirms the above photo is Lokken - oh well, at least the guess was correct 🙄.

Perhaps I should have used this photo instead:

utah-beach.jpg

Edited by Vacillator

ohhhhhhhh, I didn't zoom in enough.  I was so focused on the foreground didn't notice the water in the distance.  So beach it is.  Not a ton of action happened directly on Utah so wouldn't be that, would it? 

And would the lack of built up areas preclude Brit/Canadian beaches?  So leaves Omaha?

49 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Some way into Steve's 2022 preview thread he mentioned Utah, so he was my source of intel other than your screenshot 🤭.

You're right...He did. 🙂

On 1/14/2022 at 11:54 AM, Battlefront.com said:

The topic for the Normandy Battle Pack is likely going to be limited to Utah Beach.  Still firming up the specifics, but expect airborne forces (for both sides) to be a primary focus.  Honestly, I've always found the small unit infantry stuff the most interesting way to play Combat Mission, so having a Pack that is infantry focused seems like a really good idea to me.  Not that I don't love the big German kitties or swarms of Shermans :)

Steve

Until it is finished it will always be subject to change but right now we're looking at this:

- The Battle Pack follows the exploits of the 4th Infantry Division and the Airborne forces on both sides from D-Day through to June 13th. Maps and scenarios will include key engagement areas from Utah Beach itself to the south of Carentan.

55 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Interesting, the photo comes up if you search for Utah Beach but that could be a Googlism...

It is certainly an interesting photo: Many bunkers close together and also close to the sea. So it is tempting for publishers to use it even if not correct for Normandy beaches. You can imagine how such goes.

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

EDIT:  Google maps on satellite image confirms the above photo is Lokken - oh well, at least the guess was correct 🙄.

Perhaps I should have used this photo instead:

utah-beach.jpg

That is much better and 100% correct, just like this one, in Utah.

utah-best-beaches-sand-hollow-state-park

Sorry, could not help myself.. ;)

8 hours ago, danfrodo said:

... So beach it is.  Not a ton of action happened directly on Utah so wouldn't be that, would it? 

And would the lack of built up areas preclude Brit/Canadian beaches?  So leaves Omaha?

It is a snippet from the Utah Beach Master Map. The little house and barn in the distance is the 'Red House' that was used as the identifying landmark by the first US senior officers to land to determine they had landed in the wrong spot. The Master Map will extend north to the intended landing spots that were in front of additional German strongpoints that were cleared by 3/22 IR that morning.

True the Utah landings by the 4th ID were comparatively peaceful (though it could be argued the Airborne forces took the causalities instead), doesn't mean there aren't good tactical problems for players to solve. But then nothing stopping players using the master map for a little 'what if' for some bloody H2H battles. :) 

Omaha and the Commonwealth beaches are not part of this pack. Waffen SS and Fallschirmjager forces were missing at the time the base game was created that focused on the US vs German (Heer only) forces. The ability for CMBN to simulate the battles in this part of the theatre is now possible. So yes, players will require all modules and the Vehicle Pack to get the most out of this pack. (Like other Battle Pack releases).

5 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

@Ithikial_AU You got 2 months to Chicago, 10 maps to make, a dozen history books to read, a full tank of gas and a half a pack of cigarettes...HIT IT!!!

Luckily this pack isn't a one man operation to get it out the door. A core group of experienced map makers are working away on this using BIGOT maps and aerial photography to get the most accurate mapping possible in game. Once the more formal announcement is made you'll see what it coming and I think any Normandy wargamer is going to be...

inglorious-basterds-call-me.gif

We just want to make sure we have geography sorted before providing more solid details. This little tease was more about answering some of the posts about a possible 'beach map'.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

20 minutes ago, Benk said:

I just want to be sure, this pack will be available at a later date for Steam users ( along with the other planned packs and modules)?

Though I'm project managing this one I'm not BF but that is my understanding. The Pack will be available sometime after the Steam release of CMBN when it is ready via the usual outlets. @BFCElvis may be able to confirm.